The Era of the Phablet

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd prefer a 7" phablet...

You could do that now if you join one of the many Voice over IP services.

Using Google Voice, you can have 50% of that now for free.

I use my XOOM as a phone all the time. I use an app called "Groove IP." When used together with Google Voice, you can IP phone calls. The app is available for a one-time fee of about $5. I've been told by people there are a couple of free dialers out there, but since I've already paid for the app, I have not motivation to check the free apps out.

I say "50%" because I haven't figured out how to receive calls on the tablet. Keep in mind, I don't actually want to receive calls on the tablet, so I haven't put any effort into figuring out how... without joining an established VoIP service.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there are those that like the "phablets" and don't mind using them as phones. I just can't do it. I need a phone to look and feel like a phone. Nothing against anyone else, but it isn't something that I would like to do.

Reactions: phonejunky

aztecgod106

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Asus Padfone....anyone? It looks great and to use your own phone data on your tablet is even better. With blue tooth stylus to talk...crazy

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

ctys2ard

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Asus Padfone....anyone? It looks great and to use your own phone data on your tablet is even better. With blue tooth stylus to talk...crazy

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

It's actually very cool. It's quite an attention seeker in coffeeshops :)

Sent from my PadFone using Android Central Forums

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
One piece I don't understand is this,

Zach Epstein said:
ABI defines phablets as touchscreen handsets with screens that measure between 4.6 inches and 5.5 inches diagonally, and the firm says shipments of such devices will increase by 10 times in 2012 compared to last year.

So, by ABI's definition, my HTC One X and Galaxy S3 are "phablets" ?

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure there are those that like the "phablets" and don't mind using them as phones. I just can't do it. I need a phone to look and feel like a phone. Nothing against anyone else, but it isn't something that I would like to do.

What does a phone look & feel like anymore? Lol.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
One piece I don't understand is this,

So, by ABI's definition, my HTC One X and Galaxy S3 are "phablets" ?

This definition is misleading. These days, all tablets can be phones and any smartphone can be classified a tablet in some sense.

Many people cite the Xoom as a tablet with phone capabilities through software based dialers. It is in all aspects by the definition of the article, a phablet.

The new Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean has shown a few pics of a dialer installed. Whether it is a portion of the OS included for smartphones or not, it will then have the capabilities to make phone calls, stock. That makes it a 7" phablet, by the articles definition.

On the other side of the coin, you have the iPhone. It is a 3.5" screen that is primarily a phone. It also has the capabilities to run apps that are normally used on a tablet. I mean, iOS is just a generic OS that works on the iPad as well as the iPod and the iPhone. Hmmm, maybe the iPod and iPad are phablets, too?

These days there isn't much seperating a tablet from a phone except for screen size. The same predicament comes up in the PC world with laptops. What differentiates a power laptop, a netbook and a ultra-portable? Usually just screen size and some hardware specs.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that i don't agree with in your definition is your iPhone comparison. I think first and for most the size classifies something as a "Phablet" your nexus 7 and Xoom argument ok i kind of agree, but not really. I think to be a Phablet a network connection is needed ie 3G or 4G capabilities like certain iPad versions. The nexus 7 doesn't have this capability, also screen size 5 inches and up. But that's my personal opinion.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch