Rooting tablets to be outlawed under new DMCA rules

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Digital Trends article

Jailbreaking tablets: Illegal

In a decision that some might call ?crazy,? the Register has decided that tablets may not be jailbroken, even though smartphones are exempt. Their reason? Because dang near anything could be considered a ?tablet? these days, including e-readers, handheld game consoles, or even laptops. Because of this so-called lack of definition, the Register says that jailbreaking your tablet (or ?tablet?) is against the law.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I would interpret this to mean that it will also be illegal to root Android tablets under the new rules. If so, this is a sad day for the Android community.

fras2288

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. But then it will come down to proof. How would they prove you have a rooted/jailbroken tablet without seizing it and investigating? And the whole purpose of Android being open means there will always be ways around it. It's just lawmakers trying to justify still having a job.

CrossFire guitars: pm me for details.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
At international border crossings, ICE can seize your devices and read all their contents. So in the future, it will be unwise to try to cross the border with a rooted tablet.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I think there exception to this rule, which in case bootloader is unlocked or unlockable by manufacture and you free to install "rooted" system as you can't jailbreak system that does not have a jail in first place :p

Root user is normal feature of Linux kernel, you make it available to the system that you installed or it was delivered by manufacture, it should be legal as same as you have access to root user in desktop Linux

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
This only matters if the device is under contract with a carrier and does not apply to devices like the Nexus 7.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
This only matters if the device is under contract with a carrier and does not apply to devices like the Nexus 7.

Are you sure you didn't misudnerstand it with unlocking sim lock? I check other articule and thre no state that this have anything to do with any carrier, you can (or reather need if you want root access) "jailbreak" WiFi only tablets too, prime example iPad

fras2288

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Is this gonna be a US only thing though? What does Congress have to do with the rest of the world?

CrossFire guitars: pm me for details.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok? Hey dcma its my tablet i spent my money on, you don't own it so kiss my ass! I'll do whatever the hell I want with my tablet and there are 2 things you can do about it:

1.nothing
2.like it

Unconstitutional for the win! Government doesn't own my stuff

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Someone really needs to challenge the DMCA (or at least certain aspects of it) on First Amendment grounds.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Screw the DMCA I want to use my nexus to its full potential, who are they to tell me what I can and cannot do with items that I PAID FOR, what are they gonna do send out an emp pulse to permanently disable all the rooted/jailbroken tablets.

Edit: despite the subsidized prices I would never buy a tablet from a carrier, its a rip off you end up paying more for it then you would if you paid for it independent of the carrier, I want my updates to come from the manufacturer not stalled at the border by border patrols sprint.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If this does happen, it'll get changed quick. Most won't stand for such nonsense!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
If the tablet is wifi only and not subsidized by a carrier, wouldn't it be exempt from the rooting ban?

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Even carrier devices you know, I don't see how it can be legal on. I bought my phone in exchange to stay with my carrier for 2 years. At that point it's my fault. If I don't stay 2 years, you have to pay early termination. At any rate the phone is yours to keep. Never heard of anyone getting in trouble for selling their phone for another model.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
If the tablet is wifi only and not subsidized by a carrier, wouldn't it be exempt from the rooting ban?

But this have nothing to do with carrier, jailbreak =/= sim-lock unlocking, it's process not realted to carrier at all. Not to mention in articule (and most possibly in act too) "carrier" is not even mentioned

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89