Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Can't fix what isn't broken.

..because somehow the Nexus is the only Android phone available. :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

It isn't but like i said it's the only one with timely updates.

Google should put their foot down and MAKE the carriers and OEM's release updates within 30 days of release or deny them the ability to carry android phones.

Only then would android be able to properly move forward.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Can't fix what isn't broken.

..because somehow the Nexus is the only Android phone available. :rolleyes:

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Heck, I remember when I went to buy my first computer, it had a whopping 4.3 gig hard drive and they said it would be hard to fill. I have more than double that on just one card, and more to be added.

Definitely prefer the option of an SD slot, as I have more than one card with data on it. And I avoid phones without a removable battery because I'm a battery serial killer. I've worn out several batteries in multiple phones, already. Don't wanna have to disassemble a phone to replace one.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It isn't but like i said it's the only one with timely updates.

Google should put their foot down and MAKE the carriers and OEM's release updates within 30 days of release or deny them the ability to carry android phones.

Only then would android be able to properly move forward.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

If Google puts their foot down and starts dictating more to OEMs that use Android, there would be no Android phones or tablets with expandable memory because the Nexus line has no expandable memory.

Unless there's a mission critical security update, OS updates don't really matter to regular consumers. Google still gets the data they want.

The Playground is Open.

You have choice. Learn to compromise. Get over it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I hate how android users are become more and more like apple users thinking the nexus is superior to everything I know this is off topic but I had to get that out there

Sent from my PC36100

This is so true.

Feels like there are a lot of people that want Google to control Android in a closed way.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Internal Storage is superior to SD cards because -

1. it's MUCH FASTER.
2. it's MUCH MORE SECURE.

While I agree oems like Samsung and HTC need to offer the 32gb,64gb versions of their flagships at launch like Apple does and people will get over the SD card arguement I know I will

Sent from my PC36100

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Internal Storage is superior to SD cards because -

1. it's MUCH FASTER.
2. it's MUCH MORE SECURE.

Sd cards WITH internal storage is superior than just internal storage because-

1. If the phone is damaged, all data on it is gone, but with an sd card you can salvage it

2. If the computer won't recognize the phone, you can always put the sd card into a reader and get that data without using the cloud to run your data up

3. You can expand storage capabilities with an sd card, not so much with internal storage

4. You can switch sd cards without powering down the phone and keep a significant portion of your music or video library with you at all times.

5. It's just better to have a feature and device not to use it than to not have it and not have the option to use it

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

1. If the phone is damaged, all data on it is gone, but with an sd card you can salvage it

Not all data will be on the SD card, so no, you won't be able to salvage all of it.

2. If the computer won't recognize the phone, you can always put the sd card into a reader and get that data without using the cloud to run your data up

Like the first one, this really only applies to photos and video. And that's if the person even thought to set the camera to save to the right place.

3. You can expand storage capabilities with an sd card, not so much with internal storage

Oh really? Did not know that. lol.

4. You can switch sd cards without powering down the phone and keep a significant portion of your music or video library with you at all times.

Isn't it safer to not remove the card when the phone is on? You're just asking for data corruption.

5. It's just better to have a feature and device not to use it than to not have it and not have the option to use it

Some would say that's a waste.

You seriously sound like the type of person that doesn't empty out the SD card of a digital camera.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Not all data will be on the SD card, so no, you won't be able to salvage all of it.

Like the first one, this really only applies to photos and video. And that's if the person even thought to set the camera to save to the right place.

Oh really? Did not know that. lol.

Isn't it safer to not remove the card when the phone is on? You're just asking for data corruption.

Some would say that's a waste.

You seriously sound like the type of person that doesn't empty out the SD card of a digital camera.

Actually there isn't a problem when you unmount the sd card before removing. Don't just up and remove it.

And losing some data is way better human losing ALL data

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually there isn't a problem when you unmount the sd card before removing. Don't just up and remove it.

I don't expect a mainstream customer to unmount an SD card properly every single time.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It actually surprised the rep at Best Buy when I unmounted my SD prior to swapping it over from my Photon. He was about to suggest that he do it, but realized this wasn't my first rodeo as I began activating my myriad of functions and apps on the phone. I walked out working....

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
For me is ironic that for years of complaing how iOS devices don't use SD Cards, suddenly SD Cards become so unpleasnt technology.... all this data corruption and "filesystem problems", it so bad that i wonder why they even used in first place :p

This is i think all those upsets come from, SD Card got pros and cons as all things do, some people like SD Card and those people like Nexus too, one you remove one of those in the connection in creates a problem. Google made a decision and they know that there are be people who like SD Cards and they are aware of fact that they might lose them on Nexus, so there no point of bashing people thinking that they didn't deliver.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
For me is ironic that for years of complaing how iOS devices don't use SD Cards, suddenly SD Cards become so unpleasnt technology.... all this data corruption and "filesystem problems", it so bad that i wonder why they even used in first place :p

This is i think all those upsets come from, SD Card got pros and cons as all things do, some people like SD Card and those people like Nexus too, one you remove one of those in the connection in creates a problem. Google made a decision and they know that there are be people who like SD Cards and they are aware of fact that they might lose them on Nexus, so there no point of bashing people thinking that they didn't deliver.

Thank you!

I made a post about the hypocrisy a while ago

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
"We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better." - Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This goes back to the specs thing. You'll have to dig deeper at some of the reasons why SD cards didn't really matter.

For example, 8GB iPhone 3GS vs. Motorola DROID with a 16GB SD card.

Could you put a application that required 2GB of space on the DROID?

That application would have to get creative because the DROID only had 512MB of internal storage.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better." - Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google

That's not a good enough answer! :confused: