Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,317 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,349 Global Posts
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  2. #2  
    GMJeff's Avatar

    Posts
    589 Posts
    Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

    Default Re: Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

    This should only apply to devices purchased on contract, as the device is technically not paid in full until the contract is expired, or a new one is signed for an upgrade.

    If a phone is purchased at full retail price, you should be able to root and rom anything you want without question.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,317 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,349 Global Posts

    Default Re: Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

    Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    This should only apply to devices purchased on contract, as the device is technically not paid in full until the contract is expired, or a new one is signed for an upgrade.

    If a phone is purchased at full retail price, you should be able to root and rom anything you want without question.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    This is regarding SIM locks.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  4. #4  
    OperationA7X's Avatar

    Posts
    1,433 Posts
    ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

    Default Re: Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

    I just shared the official link on my Facebook account, and it seems like the government wants to mess around a lot with the DMCA and see to what extremes it can be used for.

    Something tells me Anonymous won't be too happy about it either.

    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...legal/1g9KhZG7

    Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

    The answer is to not buy subsidised handsets, and its the availability of un-subsidized phones that convinced the Librarian of Congress to change the rules.

    So Google Nexus devices an unlocked handsets in general have pretty much screwed those users that always buy on-contract phones.
    With T-Mobile going to non-subsidized phones this year, it will be interesting to see if they still lock them when you buy then on
    their separate monthly contract.

    Its hard to understand why this story didn't make it to the front page of AC, given the number of AC readers who unlock their phones.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,317 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,349 Global Posts

    Default Re: Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

    Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    The answer is to not buy subsidised handsets, and its the availability of un-subsidized phones that convinced the Librarian of Congress to change the rules.

    So Google Nexus devices an unlocked handsets in general have pretty much screwed those users that always buy on-contract phones.
    With T-Mobile going to non-subsidized phones this year, it will be interesting to see if they still lock them when you buy then on
    their separate monthly contract.

    Its hard to understand why this story didn't make it to the front page of AC, given the number of AC readers who unlock their phones.
    With T-Mobile moving away from subsidized handsets and separating the cost of a device from the cost of your monthly plan, I can see them implementing a policy where your phone would be locked to T-Mobile until the device is paid off.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

    Yet another freedom is taken away from us. And I thought making people continue to pay for things they already purchase was a stroke of evil genius. Next we have to pay for data when it was once free, and now we can't unlock our phones? Next we'll be told how to eat our food while being charged per chew! Enough is enough already.
  8. #8  

    Default Odp: Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

    Quote Originally Posted by ozpain2 View Post
    Yet another freedom is taken away from us. And I thought making people continue to pay for things they already purchase was a stroke of evil genius. Next we have to pay for data when it was once free, and now we can't unlock our phones? Next we'll be told how to eat our food while being charged per chew! Enough is enough already.
    When you buy from carrier you dont pay all the cost of phone at once, you pay it in parts as part of your plan, you are obligated to do that by your contract. So its not 100% your phone until your contract ends.
    Last edited by Shadowriver; 01-27-2013 at 09:26 AM.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

    Just another reason why buying unlocked phones is the best way to go.

    Sent from my Sony Xperia P

Similar Threads

  1. US Cellular press release...New android phones and 7 in. tablet
    By john_v in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 03:36 PM
  2. European buying android phone in the US
    By crnkoj in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 09:45 AM
  3. NEW pix / Evo Shift 4G in the wild!
    By igotsanevo4g in forum HTC EVO Shift 4G
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 07:29 AM
  4. Any new AT&T Android devices in the pipeline?
    By zm976311 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM
  5. Unlocked New Android Phone
    By NODO-GT in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions