After 5 years of iOS I'm switching!

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading from my nearly four year old launch day iPhone 3GS. I haven't so much as set foot in a cellphone store in years. What's changed? Has 'project butter' lived up to the hype? Is now a good time to get into Android? What should I look for? Any and all help/opinions/fan boy arguments appreciated! I figure the more info I have the better off I will be so please discuss, compare, and inform!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading from my nearly four year old launch day iPhone 3GS. I haven't so much as set foot in a cellphone store in years. What's changed? Has 'project butter' lived up to the hype? Is now a good time to get into Android? What should I look for? Any and all help/opinions/fan boy arguments appreciated! I figure the more info I have the better off I will be so please discuss, compare, and inform!

I love the fact that Android is so customizable (if that is even a word...lol) From rooting, installing ROMs, (granted, both of these things you should study up on) to staying stock, and still disabling apps, removable SD cards and batteries.
As for the devices themselves, I would look at what you want, be it a fast processor, lots of RAM, whatever, and research the devices for those features.

Also, for me, anyone who says don't get this phone because of the User Interface, (Sense for HTC, and TouchWiz for Samsung) is a load of crap. I have a Galaxy S3, yes TouchWiz is horrible, but I don't use it. I downloaded Nova launcher (which replaces TouchWiz) and I couldn't be happier. Getting Nova, ADW, GO launcher, circumvents this argument. You do NOT have to be rooted for a new launcher, and with Nova you can customize how many icons are in the dock (the section at the bottom usually reserved for phone, text, browser, etc..), which icons are in the dock, how many pages you have in the dock, you can have folders there too. You can also customize the home screen as for how many rows and columns. (The home screen is like a windows 7 desktop. You can have heavily used apps there and there is an app drawer where all your apps can be found) Folders can be created on the home screen as well. Color themes can be made, along with scrolling features.

You won't get a fan-boy argument from me. I hate that kind of attitude. Get whatever phone you like for you own reasons. However, I would suggest to figure out flagship phones, due to the fact that companies won't produce them then ignore them. Galaxy S line is flagship, and HTC One is too.

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I recently came over to Android from BlackBerry after 5+ years. It is like night & day.

What a difference when you have apps that are full featured.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I recently came over to Android from BlackBerry after 5+ years. It is like night & day.

What a difference when you have apps that are full featured.

I also decided to leave BlackBerry after 6 years. Android is a whole new and welcomed experience. As stated above the difference is like night and day, especially if you haven't purchased a phone in 4 years. Might I suggest going to a "carrier" store with active smartphones and choose a couple to do research on so you can figure out what YOU want and need in a smartphone. Todays choices are PLENTY

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I started using Android since ?clair. I feel the best improvement in usability was with Ice Cream Sandwich. Project butter was good, but honestly I've never really noticed the lag.

In my home almost everyone has an Android device and an iOS device. For the most part we all agree that each have their strengths, though the concession is that Android works better for getting things done and working with other systems(we're a Mac free home).

That said there is so much diversity with Android I recommend state your interests or your must haves and you will get a better response.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been talking to a lot of folks over on the Verge in the Android Army getting suggestions about phones, updates, etc. I will be locked to AT&T since my wife upgraded to a Note 2 last weekend. So far she loves it and her only complaint is she struggles to see the phone outside. Since she has small hands it's difficult for her to shield the screen and get anything done simultaneously especially when trying to use the S-pen. Also, I have read so many negative things about AMOLED that while I love the looks of the S3/4 I fear Pentile and outdoor use will make me hate it in the long run.

Since I haven't upgraded in so long (still using a launch day 3GS) I want my phone to be as future proof as possible. I know 1080p is becoming the standard this year so that is a must, along with at least a quad-core 1.5Ghz+ processor and 2GB ram. A removable battery and microSD card slot would be a bonus and I prefer LCD/IPS hands down to AMOLED. Camera-wise I take a TON of pictures but I guess coming from my 4 year old iPhone anything would look great. However I have been most impressed by what I've read on the One's new camera.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note 2 also and man do I love the phone. There is so much you can do with this phone that you cannot do with other phones. For me it has replaced my desktop for most activities.

The note 2 defaults to power saving mode which is reduces the screen brightness to save energy. Tell her to turn off that setting and see if it works. But be warned it kills the battery.

The Note2 is not penciled, but honestly I think the whole pentile thing is blown way out of proportion. I think dpi has more to do with screen quality than pixel layout.

What in really like about the AMOLED screen is the true black, and when reading at night it is easy on the eyes because so little light emitted.

Let me warn you there is no future proof for Android phones, right now all the cutting edge and innovation is happening on Android devices. That said there should be a phone that you should be happy with. For me that was the note I held off buying several phones because they weren't for me. But when the note 2 came out I knew that phone would hold me content for years to come.

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
'Future proof' is pretty subjective and almost laughable in the smartphone market, but the closest you can find would be the Nexus 4. It's running a zippy quad-core processor, 2gb of ram, nice sized screen and since it's Google's flagship phone it will always have the most current Android updates. It doesn't have removable SD storage, unfortunately, but other than that it's as close to 'future proof' as a phone can probably be these days.

Also, be aware that once the Galaxy S4 drops shortly, you'll likely be able to immediately get the S3 for a steal. That will remain a capable phone for a while yet.

cabiggs152

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been on android since early gingerbread with the HTC hero and I've just watched android grow and IMO I can tell a difference with android 4.1+ espically coming from GB( which is what I had on my optimus elite) if it were me switching and coming from iOS which is really integrated with apple I would look at a nexus 4 pure android no bloat ware and its unlocked ( its also a developer phone which means its not hard to root and ROM) and its cheap so that's a plus :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

technohippo

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Android is just so awesome, If apple made a $100 tablet/phone it would suck. But I bought a $100 android tablet and VERY simply modded it to all my needs and it was nearly equal to an Apple product

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I would look at a nexus 4 pure android no bloat ware and its unlocked ( its also a developer phone which means its not hard to root and ROM) and its cheap so that's a plus :D
Forgot to mention that. lol Yes, it's ridiculously easy to customize and encourages you to do so.

toiletducky

May 25, 2011
Visit site
HTC one will be a great phone for you. Built out of one solid piece, tons of power, beautiful screen, about as future proof as you can get.

The Sony xperia Z is also pretty awesome. The specs are not the industry highest but lets be realistic here. My HTC EVO 4g LTE (dual core) runs everything without issues. Slick as glass user interface. Android devices also have gorilla glass which you'll love. nothing like a torn up phone but the glass still being scratch free.

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm upgrading from my nearly four year old launch day iPhone 3GS. I haven't so much as set foot in a cellphone store in years. What's changed? Has 'project butter' lived up to the hype? Is now a good time to get into Android? What should I look for?

Both IOS and Android have pros and cons. I love Android because it is highly customizable, and love IOS because of its strong and clear design. But if you never used Android before, it is definitely a good time to try! :)

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I haven't checked this in about a week and everybody decided to reply! :) I appreciate all of your kind words and advice. I will update this in a few weeks and let everyone know what I decide to get.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been talking to a lot of folks over on the Verge in the Android Army getting suggestions about phones, updates, etc. I will be locked to AT&T since my wife upgraded to a Note 2 last weekend. So far she loves it and her only complaint is she struggles to see the phone outside. Since she has small hands it's difficult for her to shield the screen and get anything done simultaneously especially when trying to use the S-pen. Also, I have read so many negative things about AMOLED that while I love the looks of the S3/4 I fear Pentile and outdoor use will make me hate it in the long run.

Since I haven't upgraded in so long (still using a launch day 3GS) I want my phone to be as future proof as possible. I know 1080p is becoming the standard this year so that is a must, along with at least a quad-core 1.5Ghz+ processor and 2GB ram. A removable battery and microSD card slot would be a bonus and I prefer LCD/IPS hands down to AMOLED. Camera-wise I take a TON of pictures but I guess coming from my 4 year old iPhone anything would look great. However I have been most impressed by what I've read on the One's new camera.

Based on this, I'd recommend the Nexus 4 or HTC One. The N4 has a 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, 4.7" IPS screen, decent camera. The screen is 768p but it's still more future-proof than any other phone because, being a Nexus phone, it will get the latest Android updates for at least a year and a half, and will get these updates immediately, unlike other phones (which lag behind in updates). The One has a 1.7 GHz quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, 4.7" 1080p SuperLCD3 screen, and decent camera. So the One has upgraded specs but the N4 is more future-proof.

Eruditass

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Based on this, I'd recommend the Nexus 4 or HTC One. The N4 has a 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, 4.7" IPS screen, decent camera. The screen is 768p but it's still more future-proof than any other phone because, being a Nexus phone, it will get the latest Android updates for at least a year and a half, and will get these updates immediately, unlike other phones (which lag behind in updates). The One has a 1.7 GHz quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, 4.7" 1080p SuperLCD3 screen, and decent camera. So the One has upgraded specs but the N4 is more future-proof.

I'd consider a phone with a removable battery and microSD slot to be much more future proof, since you can add a lot of storage space with one and replace the battery when its battery life inevitably dwindles. Though on the Nexus 4 at least, the battery doesn't look too hard to replace.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Although the nexus 4 is great i wouldn't recommend due to battery life. I'd recommend s3 if you want to keep price under $150 or just get s4. Or go for the htc one that has the new sense. Then after owning a phone with a custom ui then try nexus and see if it's for you.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd consider a phone with a removable battery and microSD slot to be much more future proof, since you can add a lot of storage space with one and replace the battery when its battery life inevitably dwindles. Though on the Nexus 4 at least, the battery doesn't look too hard to replace.

Yeah, as iFixit's teardown proved, doing anything inside the One is a nightmare.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Although the nexus 4 is great i wouldn't recommend due to battery life. I'd recommend s3 if you want to keep price under $150 or just get s4. Or go for the htc one that has the new sense. Then after owning a phone with a custom ui then try nexus and see if it's for you.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

The S3's specs are far worse than the N4's and even the S4 is less future-proof. The Nexus 4 has had great battery life since the 4.2.2 update; I can easily get 4 hours screen time. with Wi-Fi, mobile data, and GPS all on and at medium brightness.