Other Android makers lost in the HTC/Samsung buzz

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Take for example the Sony Xperia Z. There's nothing really worse about this phone than the HTC One or the Samsung S4 but yet all anyone in these communities even pays attention to are those. I'm curious, aside from marketing because all of us here were aware of the XZ, why most of you weren't interested in it? Is it mainly because of the 3, Sony was the only one to go with the S4 Pro CPU instead of the newer 600 present on The One and S4? Other than the CPU, the rest of the specs were pretty much even. It can't be developer support because Sony is a darling to XDA Developers due to them making it officially easy as pie to unlock their bootloaders. The Sony UI isn't bad either, since it's pretty close to stock and has never been accused of laggy performance. It's also not a bad looking/built phone either. Just curious why it received so little attention from everyone here. All I can think of is the CPU not being the latest available. Anyone have other reasons I missed? Is it purely a simple matter of Sony not providing any flashy features like Blinkfeed, Beats audio, eye scrolling and stuff like that?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Take for example the Sony Xperia Z. There's nothing really worse about this phone than the HTC One or the Samsung S4 but yet all anyone in these communities even pays attention to are those. I'm curious, aside from marketing because all of us here were aware of the XZ, why most of you weren't interested in it? Is it mainly because of the 3, Sony was the only one to go with the S4 Pro CPU instead of the newer 600 present on The One and S4? Other than the CPU, the rest of the specs were pretty much even. It can't be developer support because Sony is a darling to XDA Developers due to them making it officially easy as pie to unlock their bootloaders. The Sony UI isn't bad either, since it's pretty close to stock and has never been accused of laggy performance. It's also not a bad looking/built phone either. Just curious why it received so little attention from everyone here. All I can think of is the CPU not being the latest available. Anyone have other reasons I missed? Is it purely a simple matter of Sony not providing any flashy features like Blinkfeed, Beats audio, eye scrolling and stuff like that?

Not available on Sprint. Same goes for Moto, for now.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The biggest reason why devices don't get much press is the lack of marketing.

Motorola does well at launch because they market, but haven't released anything recently. LG and Sony have had some decent opportunity, but haven't done much with it. They have also both had problems with there early products that they have had to overcome.

Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
It seems other manufactures are not advancing as fast but are only following. Marketing also plays a good part.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The biggest reason why devices don't get much press is the lack of marketing.

Motorola does well at launch because they market, but haven't released anything recently. LG and Sony have had some decent opportunity, but haven't done much with it. They have also both had problems with there early products that they have had to overcome.

Steve

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Motorola has done well (in terms of marketing) because of Verizon. The general public probably thinks that all DROIDs are Motorolas.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Because specs don't matter. Sony needs a bigger marketing presence, though I hear they so more in Europe than in the US.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Motorola has done well (in terms of marketing) because of Verizon. The general public probably thinks that all DROIDs are Motorolas.

True enough. Were the Atrix commercials Motorola or AT&T?

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
True enough. Were the Atrix commercials Motorola or AT&T?

Steve

There were Atrix commercials? lol

They were probably AT&T.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
There were Atrix commercials? lol

They were probably AT&T.

Hay! Yeah I don't know why I remember them, but they were the silly TSA doesn't know what to do with them at the airport... It's it a computer or a phone?

Steve

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hay! Yeah I don't know why I remember them, but they were the silly TSA doesn't know what to do with them at the airport... It's it a computer or a phone?

Steve

Ah. I think I remember those. Showing off the Lapdock, I think.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see more moto marketing. Also the oppo find 5 is probably unknown to 90% of consumers, and also a top ten device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Sony has ever really done a good job of branding themselves as a cell phone maker that's worth talking about. Even back in the mid 90's when I sold cell phones at Best Buy they usually had one of the best phones at any given time but all people wanted were Motorola flip phones. It's even harder now because unless you have the very best phone at some point you won't ever get the press that other makers will. Having a really good phone isn't enough, it has to stand out if you want to be seen as a major cell phone maker.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Sony is relying on their name and not innovative. Their model are always behind the curve. Or just not available. The last part is really what I think is the issue to the majority of vendors

Asus is a great example, I'd buy their phones in a heartbeat, but they never seem to be available in the states.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see more moto marketing. Also the oppo find 5 is probably unknown to 90% of consumers, and also a top ten device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I agree with the Oppo. Downside is I can't have it. Carrier compatibility issues.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums