WiFi or Data... Samsung giving choice back to the people

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I always hate checking for updates at work because I don't have access to their WiFi. It's frustrating because I can see that there is an update but I'm not able to download it. So today I'm scrolling around the forum and noticed a thread talking about updates and I hadn't gotten one since I got my S22U, which we usually do get one either right out of the box or very shortly there after. So for fun I decided to check just to see if it was available. It was. Not sure why but I pushed the download button expecting I was going to get the usual, please connect to WiFi to download, but to my utter surprise it started downloading. I rubbed my eyes and checked my data status, yup still on 5G. When it finished downloading, I installed the update. All without being at home.

Since I've owned a Samsung device I have never been able to download over data, which I never understood because; one not everyone has WiFi. I mean practically everyone does or has access to it somewhere but still not everyone. I picture people going to McDonalds or Burger King, I guess some might go to a Starbuck's but the Buckers among us would likely have WiFi so maybe not, anyway, all just to get the update for their device. Two, so many people have unlimited plans these days. It tells you how big the download is so why stop us from deciding for ourselves. It just never made sense to me and maybe you have your own take on why WiFi only was good or bad?

Curious if anyone else has noticed this?

I'm curious now if it's an S22 thing or have they across the board began allowing it for all devices?

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't use wifi on my phone, it always ticked me off when the update said connect to wifi. There is no reason for that at all. I can decide how I use my data, even if I had limited data. I don't need someone else deciding for me. I hope this is standard, did you have to change a setting to do this?

Edit.. Just seen it was on your S22. I wonder if there's a setting in there now for this?

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I just happened to check, and it was almost fully downloaded and I am on Wi-Fi. (Didn't take long to install.)

I have "Auto Download over WI-FI" checked on the Software update page. But the statement under Download and install implies it will download under mobile data..."If Possible, download via a WI-FI network...."

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just happened to check, and it was almost fully downloaded and I am on Wi-Fi. (Didn't take long to install.)

I have "Auto Download over WI-FI" checked on the Software update page. But the statement under Download and install implies it will download under mobile data..."If Possible, download via a WI-FI network...."
The fold 3 does not have that statement under auto download, so maybe next update. I don't do the auto download thing,I want to know before it downloads. I currently have OS updates disabled also.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't haven't made it that far yet into the settings for the S22U. I'm about half way through all of the settings. I like to open all of the menus, drop downs and at least look at the options and settings. It's gotten me into some trouble in the past. Turning something on that seemed innocent only find some weird result a day or two later when I can barely remember ticking that one box way down deep in that setting I forgot about. LOL. Anyway if what RETG says is true that does sound more like they are at least giving us the choice. I mean if I'm home or whatever IDC but if I'm out it would be nice to have the option.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The fold 3 does not have that statement under auto download, so maybe next update. I don't do the auto download thing,I want to know before it downloads. I currently have OS updates disabled also.

I don't mind auto download; however, I do not want auto install. I was actually hoping it would completely download, then notify me to allow an install. However, reading the posts here on the update, I got curious and just went and looked and download was almost finished. I then just let it install. Which surprisingly did not take long at all.

I remember those download of updates on my Pixel 4XL and downloads were fast, but the install was slow and the optimization of the apps felt like it was going to go on till the sun imploded.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I have an unlocked S22 Ultra on an unlimited 5G plan, but mine refused to even try to download without a WiFi connection. I assume another lame thing AT&T dictates.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've only owned Samsung phones for 10 years now and have always gotten my updates via mobile data.

Probably worth mentioning all on Verizon branded phones.

Wilma Francis

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I've only owned Samsung phones for 10 years now and have always gotten my updates via mobile data.

Probably worth mentioning all on Verizon branded phones.

I've had only Samsung phones since the beginning, with the Galaxy S2. I've always been able to download updates over mobile data. I've been on Sprint and now T-Mobile since 2011.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this is awesome! I don't think it was available when I used my S10 -- but now, of course I can't remember for sure. My Google Pixel 5 doesn't allow it, and my husband and I have an unlimited data plan, so I too sometimes get frustrated when I see that an update is available when I'm out and about or at work (and I don't use my workplace's WiFi). Moreover, I don't like using public WiFi.

Hopefully this becomes available for all manufacturers and devices soon! Thank you for sharing that experience with us!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
@LuckiestLiz I can picture AT&T being the hold out if everyone else is allowing it now. Maybe next month. LOL. But I never pictured it as a carrier thing because both here and on the Samsung Members boards I've seen posts of people complaining from Sprint, Verizon and AT&T that they are forced to use WiFi. Which to me appeared to clearly mean that it is something that Samsung was doing. The only thing that makes me question it being Samsung now is that @Morty2264 is saying that they are having the same thing with a Pixel. That would appear to put it back on the carriers. I want to dismiss the one claim I read that for several generations of Samsung devices on Verizon they've received mobile data OTAs but perhaps carriers are only pushing WiFi downloads to unbranded/unlocked devices. Seems like a lot of extra bologna but let us not forget how they blocked tethering on unlocked devices for a long time.

Morty, are your Pixels branded or unlocked devices? What carrier do you have?

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the UK using a Samsung Galaxy s²² Ultra 256gb purchased directly from Samsung UK and I'm in the same boat that software updates will only commence on Wi-Fi.

On my Fold³ updates will commence on Mobile Data so this isn't a Sim card / Network / Account limitation in my opinion.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I have updated both my Husband's & My Samsung phones using T-Mobile data. However, we have been using unlocked phones for the last several years.

It's really strange how many variables there are.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It's really strange how many variables there are.

This is where I'm at. The Pixels won't, which makes it seem like a carrier thing, I mean if other brands are not doing it the carrier would appear to be the common denominator. On the other hand we have one with multiple devices from Sammy and one will while one won't. If it were the S22 the same as some of us, that was and the other not it would be pushing that something has changed starting with the S22. With it being the opposite however it just throws more doubt and stirs the pot. It is interesting however and will be interesting to see how things go.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Just did a OS update for my fold 3. It still requires wi-fi, won't do it on carrier network. Could Verizon be blocking carrier network for OS updates like they block video calling and such?

Unlocked fold 3 on Verizon.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Just did a OS update for my fold 3. It still requires wi-fi, won't do it on carrier network. Could Verizon be blocking carrier network for OS updates like they block video calling and such?

I don't know of anything they are currently blocking, sorry to stray from the subject but you've aroused my curiosity. They were blocking WiFi calling for unlocked devices for a month or so, that was back 3 or so years ago. I haven't noticed it for my last few devices, so I can't say they still are. When I got my S10 they were blocking Find My Mobile, Samsung's offering not Find My Device Google's offering, but they stopped/released that about 5 or 6 months after I got that device. Oh, and way back, I'm not even sure what HTC device, but they were blocking/disabling the FM radio built in to the device. It was just Verizon cause I saw multiple posts and comments where people with that device got access to the radio when they switched carriers, so it was just Big Red.

I'm not branded with them so there may be other things I'm missing that I don't realize I'm missing not having a branded device, but I have video calling through Duo and have on all of my devices. Do they offer any other kind of VC or do you just not know about Duo?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

I don't know of anything they are currently blocking, sorry to stray from the subject but you've aroused my curiosity. They were blocking WiFi calling for unlocked devices for a month or so, that was back 3 or so years ago. I haven't noticed it for my last few devices, so I can't say they still are. When I got my S10 they were blocking Find My Mobile, Samsung's offering not Find My Device Google's offering, but they stopped/released that about 5 or 6 months after I got that device. Oh, and way back, I'm not even sure what HTC device, but they were blocking/disabling the FM radio built in to the device. It was just Verizon cause I saw multiple posts and comments where people with that device got access to the radio when they switched carriers, so it was just Big Red.

I'm not branded with them so there may be other things I'm missing that I don't realize I'm missing not having a branded device, but I have video calling through Duo and have on all of my devices. Do they offer any other kind of VC or do you just not know about Duo?

Back on topic, now I'm wondering if it is just the S22's or if my update was a fluke? I'm also wondering who controls such things? I mean Google releases the OS updates, which MFGRs have to shape into something usable for their devices, which the carrier's also get to dip a hand into before releasing it to their customers. But only for the branded devices, maybe? Anyway in that case I would say the last to touch it is the one responsible for it's release but who is responsible for saying WiFi only or either or both?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It should be given as a option let the user decide just like play store updates can be over just WiFi or WiFi and mobile data .

With that being said you would want it over a more stable connection and WiFi is better bet to do it on .

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had similar thoughts about good vs evil, I mean WiFi vs mobile data. And perhaps that's part of the reasoning behind it the push. How many times have we seen people here looking for help because their update was interrupted, failed to fully download or some other glitch type event, presumably over carrier data? If it prevents one call, one upset or distraught customer perhaps it's worth the inconvenience. I just can't get past not everyone has WiFi. Sure they can probably get to someplace that does but... And for people like me who would like to get them update but then end up being far from home when it pops up. I almost always seem to be at work when my updates are available. So with unlimited data I kinda feel like it should be my choice... Just saying.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards