Droid Maxx or LG G2?

LlamaGS

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
So, AC, we're switching to Verizon over the course of the next few months. I currently have a Sprint GS4, but I want something different. So, which should I get? Pros and cons to each?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
So, AC, we're switching to Verizon over the course of the next few months. I currently have a Sprint GS4, but I want something different. So, which should I get? Pros and cons to each?

If you want something different. Then Id say get the Maxx
The LG is very similar to the GS4 touchwiz
Plus I think the new moto Features are killer

LlamaGS

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The Maxx is shiny, but the specs of the G2 are amazing. Which would be faster overall? Also, which would be.more future proof?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The Maxx is shiny, but the specs of the G2 are amazing. Which would be faster overall? Also, which would be.more future proof?

Tough call. I dont know the future..... but if I were to guess
Since google now owns Motorola... Id say future proof goes to Motorola

But the LG does have better specs on paper.... but the new X8 chip set is actually designed for android for a flawless user experience.
Granted... the LG benchmarks will most likely be higher... but that doesnt mean everything
Its all up to you

LlamaGS

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
So the LG G2 has a higher theoretical performance. But I have a feeling the almost Vanillaness of the Maxx would make it faster, or at least smoother. Still a tough call, but I think I'll get the Maxx.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Another question. Would I be better off waiting for the Nexus 5?

I'd say no... Becuase will most likely not be going to Verizon. If they announce it will. Then I'd say yes. That will be an amazing phone based on years previous with spec bumps.

Posted via Android Central App

LlamaGS

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
One of my relatives got a Maxx today, and I got to see it in action. It's really smooth, and pretty fast. If the N5 doesn't come to Verizon, I'm definitely choosing tge Maxx.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
One of my relatives got a Maxx today, and I got to see it in action. It's really smooth, and pretty fast. If the N5 doesn't come to Verizon, I'm definitely choosing tge Maxx.

Maxx is an awesome phone. 32GB, wireless charging, 3500mah battery, and near vanilla android. The little bit of moto software can be turned off, but its clear that its meant to integrate the phone with Google Now. I don't like gimmicky stuff but I am using active notifications and the voice recognition software. It works well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

busa2006

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
If your considering a Maxx then go with the Moto X(dont worry about specs), but between the LG G2 and Maxx depends on if your going to root if so then the LG G2

LlamaGS

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
If your considering a Maxx then go with the Moto X(dont worry about specs), but between the LG G2 and Maxx depends on if your going to root if so then the LG G2

Why the Moto X over the Maxx, may I ask? And don't they both have locked bootloaders?

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been heavily researching all the new phones that are out (or rumored to be coming soon) for Verizon and if it's between those 2, I'd go with the G2 every time. Spec wise, it destroys the Maxx. I have been playing with both and the G2 is just smooth. Honestly, NONE of the Droid brand are worth considering unless you just like the physical feel of the phones. The processors are a generation back, the screens are lower res, lower RAM, and all of the features are available and probably better executed on other phones. If you want the "always on" voice commands I'd recommend the Moto X over all the other Motorola products. I know a few people who have it and even though, spec wise, it's below the G2/S4/One it is SUPER smooth and the battery lasts about 2 days on average use. Even though Droid is made by Motorola, it's still working off a design roadmap set up pre-Google. The Moto X is the first phone designed hardware and software completely by Google and they've pulled an Apple by maximizing everything to tweak out the perfect combination of smoothness, speed and usability. Droids have some of the same features but they were added as afterthoughts but the X pulls them off perfectly because they were designed to go in the X from the start.

The G2, on the other hand, is a POWERHOUSE when it comes to specs and the screen is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. Even some of the LG interface tweaks are pretty nice. The Knock-on feature is convenient, the camera is a higher quality camera with a killer optical stabilization and 13 MP sony lens unit. To me, the only downside to it is the cheesy slick plastic back but I'd probably put it in a cover anyway or order some of the skins that go on it. I personally would LOVE to get the Nexus 5 but there's about a 99.9% probability it won't be on Verizon so this would be the next best thing since the rumored nexus 5 is just the G2 in a Nexus body with the buttons moved back out to the sides rather than on the back, and of course, no LG UI and other bloatware to contend with. I have a feeling, if that is the case, that someone will quickly find a way to get the nexus 5 ROM on the G2.

Here's a link to the Maxx/G2 Comparison and you can see, there's a MASSIVE difference in these 2 phones and nothing about the Maxx makes it worth $100 more than the G2. Nothing. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...ID-MAXX,Motorola-Moto-X/phones/7969,7970,7885

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
On paper the g2 is better but if you prefer a stock android type experience go with the maxx. The new Motorola features are amazing and it will be supported long after the g2.

Sent from my white Moto X

phillydog#CB

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Why the Moto X over the Maxx, may I ask? And don't they both have locked bootloaders?

Well, I am going to root and am trying to decide between these 2. My main reason for rooting is tethering but I also like the occasional thrill of a new ROM. They are both now rootable, so I'm curious as to why you see a rooting advantage with the G2.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
If you are planning on rooting I would DEFINITELY go with G2. The G2 is rumored to be the base for the next Nexus so ROMs will probably be ported over to it faster than any of the Droid brand products. It's got MUCH higher specs and it's $100 cheaper. Again, for a more true "Android" experience on Motorola I'd go with the Moto X since it's the same spec wise but it's been optimized to run much better than any of the Droid brand.

LlamaGS

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Does the G2 have an unlocked bootloader so I can toss a vanilla Android ROM on it?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Does the G2 have an unlocked bootloader so I can toss a vanilla Android ROM on it?

I dont know what powerplaygraphix is talking about.....
ALL android phone are based on "nexus" roms. the manufacturer will then change and add features as they please since its written with Linux style codes.
thats where open source comes from.... Vanilla android is downloadable to anyone free of charge. Then they customize it.
The G2 will not have a unlocked bootloader unless they sell a developer edition, (doubtful)
The Moto is WAY closer to stock android VS the G2. Its not even a close comparison.

Its what he probably is trying to say is that the Motorola phones in the past have very difficult boot loaders to unlock (rooting)
it wouldnt stick for some reason and would lose its root access.
But Remember that Moto will most likely be the more "future" phone because of google owning them. This doesnt mean it will have an unlockable bootloader at will. but it will most likely get more updates and in a more timely fashion.
Plus why root the moto? no real reason unless you want to tether without the carrier knowing. or you want to start developing apps and need a phone for testing and sideloading with permissions

Trust me... The LG software will get old. Just like the S4. I have been with android for 5 years now.... and no matter what phone I buy or use... I eventually want to root them and put the "nexus" roms on them because its just timeless and just always works perfect. The Galaxy S4 GPE is the best phone I have ever used and wouldnt change it for anything at the moment.
The LG will be dead and old news by the end of the year... mark my words.

(before I get flamed... The LG G2 is an amazing phone and not taking anything away from it, But IMO, the Moto is just a better phone all around regardless of "specs")

LlamaGS

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
ALL android phone are based on "nexus" roms. the manufacturer will then change and add features as they please since its written with Linux style codes.
thats where open source comes from.... Vanilla android is downloadable to anyone free of charge. Then they customize it.
The G2 will not have a unlocked bootloader unless they sell a developer edition, (doubtful)
The Moto is WAY closer to stock android VS the G2. Its not even a close comparison.

Its what he probably is trying to say is that the Motorola phones in the past have very difficult boot loaders to unlock (rooting)
But Remember that Moto will most likely be the more "future" phone because of google owning them. This doesnt mean it will have an unlockable bootloader at will. but it will most likely get more updates and in a more timely fashion.
Plus why root the moto? no real reason unless you want to tether without the carrier knowing. or you want to start developing apps and need a phone for testing and sideloading with permissions

Trust me... The LG software will get old. Just like the S4. I have been with android for 5 years now.... and no matter what phone I buy or use... I eventually want to root them and put the "nexus" roms on them because its just timeless and just always works perfect. The Galaxy S4 GPE is the best phone I have ever used and wouldnt change it for anything at the moment.

(before I get flamed... The LG G2 is an amazing phone and not taking anything away from it, But IMO, the Moto is just a better phone all around regardless of "specs")

This has helped me make my decision. The Maxx it is, then.

revG#AC

May 15, 2010
Visit site

I think what the other poster meant was the similarity between the g2 and the n5 hardware would work in favor of the g2. Synonymous hardware makes porting easier and since the n5 will have massive development the g2 will benefit from greater dev support, ultimately.
All of these phones except the n5 will have locked bootloaders on VZW at least but that doesn't necessarily impede obtaining root.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty