2K Phone Screens

androidforum

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I just read up of this guy who setup a 12k(screen resolution) rig with 3 4k monitors. I was thinking if that is possible, can you picture phones released later in 2014/early 2015 to feature 2k screens? Maybe the Note 4 will have a 6" 2K screen? Some of you might ridicule the idea claiming that 1080p will be enough, but I wouldn't mind 2048p phones! Power consumption might be an issue so I understand why manufacturers might be deterred from considering 2K phones. What do you think?

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I would say we have to wait at least 18 months before we start seeing 2160p screens on phones. Some top of the line ten inch tablets already have them.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With 1920x1080 screens on phones, we have officially reached the point where I have stopped caring. Over 350 DPI and you won't notice anyway.

Chanlion

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Dude, trust me. It's stupid as of right now to go furthur than HD. (I'm specifically talking about 4k here) If it does, it won't be for 5-10 years.
It's like the transition from SD to HD, it was a long time. Let's say 10 years?

There's a lot of things against it:
You really can't see the difference
Storage is too small
App sizes will be insane
Processors will have to be more powerful
More power equals less battery
No one wants to create 4k footage, the rendering time varies for me around 3.5x longer to 16x. Depending if I'm rendering just stock or wireframes.
More money

Reason I'm so passionate about this situation is because I work in the TV/ video industry and the pricing is ridiculous. You think you have to JUST upgrade a camera. You need more storage, processing power, more time, larger screen, a larger desk and if your room's too small, a new renovation.

But the benefits of shooting and using 4k footage on the editing side is almost worth all the dumb hassle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez