Best Phone for up tp 400$?

zoobooboozoo

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my old, buggy and barely functioning Samsung Galaxy S.
The budget is up to 400$ and the key features I want are:

1) A fast and responsive deice(Good CPU, RAM, Touch response etc.)
2) A good camera
3) Not too big: Glaxy S3 size is the maximum, an iPhone 5 size is great.
4a) A popular model so that online support & accessories are easy to access :)
4b) I think It has to be Android or iOS for the same reason as 4a.
5) this is not exactly a feature but I will point out that I live outside of the US so I need an unlocked or at least an unlock-able phone.
6) New phone (not used).

So far I think the Galaxy S3 is a good option, but I'm open to suggestions.
Also, if I choose to go with galaxy S3 - which one should I get? there are several models and so far the i9300 seems the best from what I checked out.

Thx in advance, ZBBZ.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy S4 mini, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 (soon), iphone 4s, iphone 5 and iphone 5c (might be priced too high) are the ones that jump out to me.

zoobooboozoo

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy S4 Mini is better than S3? the specs seems to suggest otherise. I think...
quad vs. dual core, amound of RAM...

I think the iphone 4 doesn't qualify and the 5 ones are a lil too expensive.

how is the nexus? is 5 should be good and what is the expected price?

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my old, buggy and barely functioning Samsung Galaxy S.
The budget is up to 400$ and the key features I want are:

1) A fast and responsive deice(Good CPU, RAM, Touch response etc.)
2) A good camera
3) Not too big: Glaxy S3 size is the maximum, an iPhone 5 size is great.
4a) A popular model so that online support & accessories are easy to access :)
4b) I think It has to be Android or iOS for the same reason as 4a.
5) this is not exactly a feature but I will point out that I live outside of the US so I need an unlocked or at least an unlock-able phone.
6) New phone (not used).

So far I think the Galaxy S3 is a good option, but I'm open to suggestions.
Also, if I choose to go with galaxy S3 - which one should I get? there are several models and so far the i9300 seems the best from what I checked out.

Thx in advance, ZBBZ.

Sounds like you are needing a nexus 5. It is a great phone (just read the reviews). The galaxy s3 is good, however it is about a year old. IPhone is fun to use, but it may be overpriced and its cost just doesn't justify its specifications.

If you still love the galaxy s3 since you are a Samsung user, consider the i9300. Its an international model and it is most provably unlocked.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5 should be $349 off contract from the Play Store in hopefully the next few weeks. Other than the Note (different category), probably hands down the best device released this year (we presume, no reviews yet) but easily top 5 and considering the super low price, by a long ways it's the best value.

zoobooboozoo

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just googled the Nexus 5 and it seems to be EXTREMELY good value for money.
The nexus 4 also seems great for it's price, it beats the Galaxy S3 from the specs I've seen.

In terms of support(as I mentioned in the 4th "feature request"):
Samsung and Apple have A LOT of clients. this obviously doesn't mean they make the best phones,
but it does mean there's a lot of online info, support, apps and acessories taylor suited for them.

I also know Google has a legacy of discontinuing products like Phones/tablets/laptops etc. so I'm a lil' bit worried in that regard,
can anyone put my mind at ease?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just googled the Nexus 5 and it seems to be EXTREMELY good value for money.
The nexus 4 also seems great for it's price, it beats the Galaxy S3 from the specs I've seen.

Samsung and Apple have A LOT of clients. this obviously doesn't mean they make the best phones,
but it does mean there's a lot of online info, support, apps and acessories taylor suited for them.

I also know Google has a legacy of discontinuing products like Phones/tablets/laptops etc. so I'm a lil' bit worried in that regard,

The only hint of regret from Google on a device was the q, which is more or less replaced by the chromecast. Other then that, those are the devices most likely to survive support obsolescence. Updates come straight from Google and there are a lot of them.

Nexus. Through spacetime.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Just take a look at the Google Nexus section and also read up on the Nexus series. AFAIK, Nexus products are usually the first in line to receive updates.

As far as discontinuing products, every manufacturer does that. Take for example, the Galaxy S3. Once a better product is launched, the price would be lowered and slowly 'put to sleep'.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Thx for the help guys, another issue I have with the Nexus (4):
the stroage issue, 8/16 GB with no SD card, is a lil' low on room...

If I'm not mistaken, there's a 32GB storage option too.

Anyway, if the SD card slot is one of your priorities, then the Nexus 4 probably isn't for you unless you are willing to sacrifice data.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Your mileage may vary. For me, 16gb is good enough to store all my crap inside my phone. That includes tons of songs and some apps.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Wait for a bit and get the Nexus 5, $350 for the 16GB as far as I've seen, I may get that myself.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the microSD feature, but I found a way to access all my music through my phone by using Plex from my HTPC laptop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbxbzbc