What's happening to you Google?

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
YouTube comments are used to help rank videos/artists etc. If you want to help an artist you like you shouldn't have to be forced to have a gmail or g+ account.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure thats what the like/dislike button is for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
YouTube sold itself to Google. Its founders' opinions don't matter any more than mine or yours now. I'm not forgetting, I just don't happen to care very much. YouTube is a service provided free of charge by Google, and in case anyone has managed to not notice its comments section is to discussion what sewage is to water. People on YouTube are already playing in Google's ecosystem. If they have a problem with G+, they don't have to comment on videos.

Sorry but saying the opinion of the people who create something that big doesn't matter is outright ludicrous.

As far as combatting youtube trolls goes, Google had many options here. Why should people who don't own Androids,use IE instead of Chrome, use Yahoo or Outlook rather than Gmail etc be forced to sign up for a social network in order to leave comments or create playlists. If you think they're going to stop there you're kidding yourself. I have little doubt they'll try requiring a G+ account to even upload vids

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Just because you like parties doesn't give you the right to attend someone's party. YouTube belongs to Google, Google can set any requirements for use that it wants. All I'm saying is that I don't share your objections or concerns; I think this will be a step in the right direction.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think* that everyone on YouTube has a g+ account assigned to them, though they may not have opted in to activate it.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a fake g+ for YouTube now anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if many others do too.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk Pro

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
This is what I'm not getting though. Even through the new picture "app", sharing options for me are BlueTooth, Picasa, Messaging, Hangouts, Google+,DropBox, Drive, Gmail, Kindle, Keep, Buffer, Snapspeed, Facebook, Twitter, Tapatalk , Autodesk and Latern. I've only seen that list grow larger over time, not smaller. I'm sure if I download it, that Instagram would be added too.
He's not talking about using the share feature in Android, he's talking about sharing his photos with friends and family. It's gotten much more complicated to share without using Google+.

The Article said:
Now when I go to share photos, Google insists on doing it as a Google+ ?post? and asks me which of my Circles I would like to share with. But my parents aren?t in my Circles. Nor are half my real-life friends ? the smart ones. I want a link, and Google won?t give it to me anymore without hunting madly through its broken interface and (ironically) forcing me to Google Search for the answer. Want to change a cover photo? Good luck finding that option. And did I ask for this undeletable stack of ?Profile photos? mixed in with my neatly organized travel photos? No Google, I did not.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
He's not talking about using the share feature in Android, he's talking about sharing his photos with friends and family. It's gotten much more complicated to share without using Google+.

Oh, once they're in G+ or what? Because otherwise those 15-17 or so items seem to enable sharing with just about anyone so I'm not sure I'm understanding the difference.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh, once they're in G+ or what? Because otherwise those 15-17 or so items seem to enable sharing with just about anyone so I'm not sure I'm understanding the difference.

This may sound weird, but there are other ways to take pictures than a smartphone. Some people use cameras, download their photos to their PC's and then want friends and family from around the world to see the pictures they've taken. ;) The author used to use Picasa because it was very easy, but Google has made it increasingly hard to use without integrating it with other services that his friends and family (or most everyone' friends and families, really) use. They're taking services that people like and trying to leverage them to force people to use Google+, even though few actually want to use it.

This article isn't about Android, it's about Google in general.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Google are getting very much like Microsoft. Does anyone remember the big law suit against Microsoft for making IE integrated into Windows?

It isn't that bad yet because stock Android seems a lot more stable than Windows, but if you want to uninstall Google apps you have to learn how to root the phone. On my n5 there's over 600MBs of Google apps.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The question is asked here and IMO is a valid one in light of recent changes to Google Services:

Why Google is getting worse | Digital Trends

Maps, Gmail, Photos, are all going from top notch to mediocre or worse in the span of a couple updates. Don't get me started on Youtube. Hangouts still feels unfinished. And the list goes on.

I think I know the answer to the question the writer is asking, and it's Sundar Pichai. It's unlikely a coincidence that these problems have been appearing since he took Rubin's spot.

I've long wondered what they're smoking out there in Mountain View. :( IMO, they've completely borked Maps, GMail, and Youtube. I refuse to update any of them and stick with the older versions that "just work" and have all the functionality I want/need.

jaggerreng

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This is funny...no technology is ever finished or amazing. You can find holes everywhere and actually, historically I cannot agree at all. Google was never about making it all work perfectly right away, but gradually they have come to a point when they more than 80% of the mobile market and the biggest search system on the planet. When I ready these comments, Louis CK comes to my mind instantly - technology that is provided today to almost every human being is in abundance. You can get a great Android phone for a 100$ and do stuff on it that you could not imagine doing 10 years ago.
oatmeal.png

Could you explain, what exactly do you think is not good with today's Google?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95