How Much Would You Pay for Your Dream Android Phone?

JR A

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in the comment section of the recent article, but wanted to have further discussion here...

I'd easily pay a $1,000-$3,000 (right now) for an Android phone the way I want it. As the tech I will mention becomes more standard, obviously the price will drop, but as of RIGHT NOW, I would pay several thousand dollars for someone to make me this phone:

Display:

- Sapphire crystal screen (rock hardness rating 2nd only to diamond... virtually scratch proof)
- Super LCD 2 w/ a brightness upwards of 900nits
- 6" display
- 4K display, 4096 x 2560 resolution (16:10)
- 60Hz refresh rate, or higher if possible
- And somehow have software capability to manually calibrate color, contrast, etc.

Chipset:

Whatever the next gen Qualcomm chip is after the Snapdragon 805, which that chipset isn't even available yet...

- Quad Core CPU @ 3.00GHz (krait)
- 4MiB L2 cache per core
- 64 bit
- Dual Core GPU @ 1.00GHz (Adreno)
- 800MHz RAM or faster, 25GB memory bandwidth

Storage:

- 128GB Flash storage @ the fastest possible R/W speed

I'm not up to date with mobile storage, so maybe someone else can chime in on this. What are the average read/write speeds for mobile smartphones? Is a RAID array possible? If not, then I want someone/some company to make it possible. SATA3 (6.0Gbps or 768MB/s) read/write speeds in a smartphone? HELL YEAH! No more wait time! :D

Camera:

I like the Nokia 808 41MP Pureview's camera. If I can get that, or something better then I'll take that. As for front facing camera, I would like to have, if possible, a FFC with optical image stabilization and a front facing flash. That would be a design engineering challenge, I know...

Battery:

9,000mAh battery using whichever is the latest and greatest battery tech, which I believe LiPoly is the one to use these days... My Zero Lemon 9,300mAh battery for my LG G Pro has spoiled me, and considering everything I want on this phone, a battery that size should last a day or day and a half. Also, I would prefer removable, but I know that is another design engineering challenge. However, if I can get 9,000mAh in a phone, I would be happy with non-user replaceable battery.

Other stuff:

- LTE-A and VoLTE
- Dual Band Wireless AC
- USB 3.0
- Bluetooth 4.0
- MicroSD slot for SDXC
- HDMI output, if I can get full size HDMI port then even better
- Display port, again, if I can get full size then great
- IR sensor/blaster
- Wireless charging
- NFC
- LED notification light on front of phone and back of phone, and depending on the orientation the phone is lying down, the phone will know which LED light to use, with the option to customize profile settings for this LED (BlackBerry spoiled me with this feature.)
- Front Facing Speakers
- Rear Facing Speakers

And a guarantee, in writing from Android/Google themselves, that I will receive the latest Android OS version on release day, guaranteed, with the option to test releases weeks in advance. :D Okay, this might not be possible, but hey, one can dream, right?

So yeah, I'd happily pay up to $3,000, maybe more, for a phone like that. Again, as the tech becomes more standard, the prices will drop. But as of this very day in time, I'd pay several thousand to have that kinda tech in my mobile...

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a device on steroids....lol.
I will admit, it would be nice if cell companies would be like Dell and let us physically build devices.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
My perfect phone is more about value at a given price range with unlocked bootloader and freedom to use the device, not about how good the specs are or expensive the material. As long as I get the freedom to do what I want with it, that means running not only Android, but other linux OS, which my Nexus can. I don't care about high end specs if it come with locked bootloader and horrible custom UI with bloatwares, no matter how fast and powerful it is, it's useless to me.

Basically the Nexus 5 with it's current spec, and:
-Nexus 4 or Galaxy Nexus body design (I like the glass of the N4 and the curve of the Galaxy Nexus)
-64gb storage or microSD support, I can live with 32gb though
-stereo speakers, doesn't have to be boom sound, just a little louder than my current N4, I could live with one speaker if it's loud
-IR blaster would be nice, but not required
-most importantly, Moto X always listening feature

I would be willing to pay up to what the Moto X cost unlocked now, and no more. It's not unrealistic at all for that price with what I listed, I'm considering selling my N4 and getting the MotoX for the always listening feature, if: price go down a little and there are more rom developers, I'm not very convinced right now, it still look like a pretty locked down device. I'm hoping the next Nexus phone would have that feature.

Sounds like a device on steroids....lol.
I will admit, it would be nice if cell companies would be like Dell and let us physically build devices.
Project Ara you mean?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty