is it hard to brick your phone?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Is it hers to brick your phone?

Posted via Android Central App
If you are root and modify system files, yes. It actually could be really easy if you don't know what you are doing, so use caution if you plan on modifying your phones system components, i.e. ROM, kernel, partitions, etc.

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you are root and modify system files, yes. It actually could be really easy if you don't know what you are doing, so use caution if you plan on modifying your phones system components, i.e. ROM, kernel, partitions, etc.

The only thing I've done like that is change the boot animation. But I looked it up and followed the directions. I'm just afraid I'd bricking my phone. I am careful and follow instructions though

ahawkua

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

And what about hard bricking? Can that occur? I don't try installing custom Roms or anything. I just mainly use the apps from the play store

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
And what about hard bricking? Can that occur? I don't try installing custom Roms or anything. I just mainly use the apps from the play store

If you are not rooting or modifying the device then no, it's unlikely that you could hard brick your phone. Just be sure to be savvy when it comes to installing apps from the Play Store - install apps that are well known, have good reviews and/or download count.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I've done like that is change the boot animation. But I looked it up and followed the directions. I'm just afraid I'd bricking my phone. I am careful and follow instructions though

If you follow the directions thoroughly and made a backup before hand you should be OK. Just check through the site and or forum where you got the how-to and check for any issues others may have run into while doing the same. That way you know what could happen and possibly how to fix it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what you call bricked.... If you are talking those hard bricks... where the phone is absolute toast and will never come back.... That takes a little bit of effort (and sometimes ignorance). Haven't had one of those. But it varies from model to model.... Seems to me that most people kill their phones early on, when they are attempting to unlock them...when you start messing with locked boot loaders - low level stuff - there is where the bricking risk occurs. But if you get your stuff squared away and understand the instructions and follow them, the risk isn't all that great. Once you get things unlocked and free of the shackles, I don't think it is very common, or easy to do. About the only thing out there that is instant GAME OVER is if you lose your IMEI and don't have a backup of whatever partition hosts it (make one). Most phones have tools available so that as long as the blasted thing turns on and tries to boot, you can fix it as long as you have a laptop and a USB cable.

Soft bricking? The recoverable kind? Man.... I've had quite a few... but once you get a feel for things, you just brush them off and say "Well, THAT didn't work the way I expected" The first time I ran into one was back when I was attempting to load a frankenROM on my ol' Galaxy Stellar.... once I got through the panic, it only took a few minutes to get through how to recover it and get me going again.

One of the things I tell people who are looking to start mod'ing their phones is to look at the "OMGMYPHONE'S JUNK" threads first.... that way you'll see what kinds of mistakes people make and how quickly you can come back from the brink of doom.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana