Do you use Google Now or the browser?

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am just curious as to what others do when they decide to Google search something. Do you usually just pull up Google Now and type in your search there, or do you open up the browser and search from the browser? Which do you find more convenient?

bubba3595

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally just open the browser. When you Google search in the Google now bar it just opens to browser when you select something.
I also like to open multiple tabs usually, which the home screen bar dosnt allow you to do

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ellisroy

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
just a side note on this thread there are way better browsers and search engines out there for free

Posted via Android Central App

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I personally just open the browser. When you Google search in the Google now bar it just opens to browser when you select something.
I never understand why it does that. On the iOS app it opens the search result links in the app browser. I think on Android it is so stupid it opens it in Chrome just so you again have to multitask switch to go back to Google Now. I rather just search then in Chrome, Firefox, or Mercury Browser then.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I only use Google Now for search when I'm using voice via Touchless Control.

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I use Google now plus all the history on your phone links to your laptop
plus its mostly hooked up for me with all my news and updates on sites im on everyday.

Love my Google now.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I use Google now because chrome doesn't seem to have a homepage that you can set to pop up each time you open it. So I have to open chrome and th end click the Google bookmark.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google Now... it's so well integrated with my launcher (nexus 5) that I can get to it quickly no matter where I am.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Google Now... it's so well integrated with my launcher (nexus 5) that I can get to it quickly no matter where I am.

Yet links still open up in Chrome instead of staying in the Google Now app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I find Google Now to be convenient for quick information, especially with the integrated Google Now functions like weather, store hours, sports scores, etc. With those functions, there is usually no need to open the browser for more details, and Google Now can bring this info up easily with voice commands.

I don't have a big preference between searching on Google Now and searching directly using Chrome, but if you think about it, there isn't a huge difference in the number of steps. With Google Now, if you click on a search result, Chrome (or some other browser) will open to display that link, so yes, there's the extra step of opening the browser. But if you search directly on Chrome, you still have to click on the search result's link. So the number of taps remains the same. Is it slower to wait for the browser to open after Google Now? Maybe, but I think the Google Now search is faster than the search using the browser, so on the whole, it's probably a wash.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
For quick searches, I use Google Now because I have the widget on the home screen.

Sent from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...yeah, it's spectacular.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Now most of the time. Touchless control is awesome!

Posted via Android Central App from my Ebony backed Moto X

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is it slower to wait for the browser to open after Google Now? Maybe, but I think the Google Now search is faster than the search using the browser, so on the whole, it's probably a wash.

Well, the browser launches pretty quickly either way.... you're waiting for the page to render more than Chrome to launch. The question is more how easy it is to get to either searches..... I have a Nexus 5 and Google has made it exceedingly easy to get into Google Now.... a quick swipe to the right on my home screen, or a quick swipe up from the nav bar anywhere else (including the lock screen) and Google Now pops with as pretty much zero launch time. But, again, Google Now does more than just do a Google search...it'll search your local phone (apps, docs, phone contacts, etc), post traffic reports (VERY accurate now with the Waze integration), sports/stocks/weather reports... relevant points of interest based on your searches.... They keep adding Google Now cards and they've been pretty useful. And there are other subtle advantages... Do you have Tapatalk, IMDB, Wiki, etc... installed? If you click on a link to those sites in Google Now it will launch it native in the app and not in the browser. It's the little things.... it's a killer app.

Needless to say I'm a big fan. If you haven't used Now much (or at all), you're doing yourself a great disservice.