Recommendations for a laptop

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm in need of a laptop and could use some help. I previously had an hp pavilion and almost 2 years in the hard drive failed and I lost majority of my work. Local tech stores looked at it and did what they could but they were unable to pull any data off the hard drive. So, do I go with another Windows laptop or something different. I use office suite quite a bit (mostly excel) but other than that I'm all Google services. Macbooks have always intrigued me but I have never in my life touched a mac or used osx, however I'm always willing to try something different. I've been a Windows user since I started using a pc 15+ years ago. I don't do gaming or any kind of editing. I have been teaching myself to program using ruby and Javascript so something I could program on would be ideal. Price range is $600-$900. Any suggestions?

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The Microsoft store site always has some good deals going on. I'd look at the Dell XPS 13 in particular.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the OP probably needs more than a Chromebook, based on what he said.. But for me, and for a lot of other people, Chromebooks are pretty awesome. My two Chromebooks are way more than decent. It just depends on what you use them for.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Chromebooks are interesting machines but I don't think I could use one as a full time laptop. Something I kept at home and my kids could use would probably be fine though. Interesting that Dell was mentioned. Every pc I have owned except for one (the hp in my op) has been a Dell and they have been great, however, I've never had a Dell laptop. The Dell desktop I'm running now has been going strong for 7 years now. The one before that for 6 years, so is the laptop hardware as reliable as the desktop?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Chromebooks are interesting machines but I don't think I could use one as a full time laptop. Something I kept at home and my kids could use would probably be fine though. Interesting that Dell was mentioned. Every pc I have owned except for one (the hp in my op) has been a Dell and they have been great, however, I've never had a Dell laptop. The Dell desktop I'm running now has been going strong for 7 years now. The one before that for 6 years, so is the laptop hardware as reliable as the desktop?

I owned one for a very short time, and the only real issue I had with it was that the keyboard made a very quiet "coil whine" when the backlit keyboard was on. Not an issue throughout the day but at night when I watched movies on it that would bother me. Other than that it's pretty solid.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Something I kept at home and my kids could use would probably be fine though.

So why a laptop? A laptop with the same specs as a desktop is about 30 to 40% more expensive. If you don't need portability why pay for a device that is going to disappear to someone's bedroom everyday?

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I did replace the HD. My son is going into Jr high school so I reloaded Windows and gave it to him. I run my family's business so I would like to have something portable. I have a desktop at work and a desktop at home but would like something I can transport when the need arises.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for clarifying your situation.

IMO since you are running a business stick with what you know. You should be able to find a laptop with an i5 processor in your budget that will work fine.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That was going to be my next question regarding the processor. I think an i7 would be overkill but wanted everyone's opinion on the i5. Thanks for the help

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
That was going to be my next question regarding the processor. I think an i7 would be overkill but wanted everyone's opinion on the i5. Thanks for the help

Yes, an i7 processor would be overkill for you. If you're not a gaming junkie and you don't do heavy graphics editing or much multi-tasking an i5 is perfect for you.

But I doubt very much that running a business and letting the kids play on one and the same machine is a good idea, TBH.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, an i7 processor would be overkill for you. If you're not a gaming junkie and you don't do heavy graphics editing or much multi-tasking an i5 is perfect for you.

Graphics editing would require a better graphics card, not a better CPU :p
But yeah, an i7 isn't necessary. It's barely an upgrade over the i5 anyway.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames