Problem getting photos on Android from Iphones.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
So most of my friends and my sister have Iphones, and they send me photos at various times. Only problem is, unless I have cell data turned on, not even just wifi, the photos won't come in/load. I don't understand that, even if I'm on wifi they won't come in?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They're sending you the pictures via MMS (for them it goes through iMessage, which uses WiFi), but for non iMessage users, messages go out as either SMS for text or MMS for text and pictures/video/audio. Unfortunately, SMS and MMS travel through your carriers data channel, not WiFi. Unless you enable mobile data, you cannot get MMS, only SMS. You can verify this by being on WiFi and sending a test MMS to your phone; you'll see the mobile data indicator light up just for the MMS.

Also, the pictures you receive might be compressed and scaled down, as MMS has file size limitations.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Well that sucks. I mean, I have unlimited data, I'm just more talking about function overall, for people sending stuff between the two types.

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
You should blame imessage. You can try whatsapp it's good for file sharing and also available on many platforms.

Sent from my phone with tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well that sucks. I mean, I have unlimited data, I'm just more talking about function overall, for people sending stuff between the two types.

Yeah, MMS was conceived way before we even thought of having unlimited data or data intensive apps out there, and a smartphone was just a concept in someone's mind. iMessage is just a different messaging system, just like MSN Messenger and BlackBerry Messanger were before it, and the closest thing to that on multi platforms is Whatsapp, Google Hangouts, Viber, Line, Facebook Messenger, etc. Well, actually BBM is now cross-platform as well, so yeah, that works too. But just like iMessage to work you need the other person to have an iPhone, for these 3rd party apps to work, you need the other user to have the same app.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This just how Apple lock you into their OS.

Posted via the Android Central App

For quite a while, BlackBerry had BlackBerry Messenger to go for it. I knew a lot of people back in the day that would just get a BlackBerry to have BBM and be able to have chat conversations with suppliers or coworkers. Of course, Apple has a stronger grip on their market. I just wish they could at least make iMessage available to other platforms. I'm dating someone who doesn't have a phone plan (I know! Shocker!) but can still get iMessages while on WiFi. That seems to be the only use I'm giving my work iPhone these days hehe

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

It has nothing to do with iMessage and everything with SMS/MMS which travel via the carriers networks. On an iPhone sending SMS is SMS, it's only iMessage if it's between 2 iOS users. If it's I send an SMS to an Anroid user or even another iOS user with iMessage disabled the SMS will go through the carrier network; not Wifi.