Why a factory reset?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not. Clearing the cache is. Because the update clears the cache piece by piece, which uses a lot more battery over a longer period. Why not before? Because between the time you clear it and the time the update is finished, some junk might have been put there.

(A factory reset removes all your data and all your downloaded apps. It's not recommeded for anything except as a next-to-last resort. [The last resort is flashing the whole stock ROM.])

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Just my 2 cents but I have found that a factory reset prior to an update seems to help avoid issues. If you do a factory reset and update without apps installed it seems to simplify the process and reduce the chance of errors. After the reset and update you can selectively install and test apps that have been identitifed as update issues which greatly simplifies the debugging process. You will find some threads discussing this. I also like the clean slate approach since I find that my android phone tends to get gunked up over time - I suspect bad google and other app updates. I have also found that I find myself with a significant increase in available RAM and internal storage after doing a factory reset and reinstalling my apps after my phone was acting up (non update factory reset). It would make sense to clear up the junk before a major update (kitkat/lollipop).

Rockfella

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Can't agree more. It is same thing that happens with windows operating system and probably mobile too. A reset or a operating system reinstall fixes a lot of stuff on its own.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate all the responses. I, too, was applying my experience with Windows and preference for a clean install and rebuilding from scratch. But, since I've had no experience with Android, I didn't know if it was true or not.

In my opinion, I'd rather invest the extra time to doing a factory reset and starting with a nearly clean slate (no third-party apps) than to troubleshooting and solving issues after the update. Plus I just like the idea of a fresh start.

One disclaimer, though: I anticipate having a pretty basic setup without a lot of apps installed and not much data that I'll need to worry about.

Rockfella

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey!

There are two ways of doing a reset. One is clean reset , as in a type of reset that will only restore your contacts and stock android (whatever version your phone has) second is probably default. A reset will restore your contacts and every third party software you had on old phone/or pre reset stage. What setting do you I need to change to do a "clean reset without third party apps" in Lollypop?
Regards.