What is the MOST Important Feature in Your Next Phone?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
All this stuff about camera and music makes no sense to me. If I want to take pictures I use a real camera. If I want music I use a dedicated Portable media player. I care more about software, sound quality on calls, ability to automate things, and a quality voice assistant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Then you are in the minority. When out and about, most people I see use their smartphones as cameras and music players. It is more convenient for most people to carry one device

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
According to the poll it's time to drop NFC and wireless charging too (along with removable battery and SD cards) since few folks care/use them. ;)

Few folks prioritize those features more than all other features. Obviously the OEM's need to make a decision about which features add enough value to lead to enough additional sales to justify their inclusion and the impact on the overall user experience for their target audience. NFC and Wireless charging are pretty different from each other - the lack of NFC removes functionality from the device, while I'd argue that wireless charging, SD cards and removable batteries do not add or remove any functionality, they simply change how existing functionality can be utilized.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
NFC and Wireless charging are pretty different from each other - the lack of NFC removes functionality from the device.

And that functionality is really still underutilized.... which may or may not change. With wireless payments becoming much more widespread (ish), it might nudge up a bit on the 'f's to give' scale.

jemfalor

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
i doubt there's a most important list for me. camera, stereo mic and speakers, screen, nfc, microsd, various sensors etc all are important. right now, the removal of microsd on certain brand phones makes microsd the top of the list. with some lower tier phones lacking nfc, that should top the list. if all phones could support amoled, why not? that should top the list. if phone camera could be better or more practical than carrying another camera, why not? that should top the list too.

it's better to have them now than to realise you need them only later..

˜xperia z3,d6653,5.1.1,v71,tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
According to the poll it's time to drop NFC and wireless charging too (along with removable battery and SD cards) since few folks care/use them. ;)

That would make sense if the poll ranked owner preferences.

In this case, it doesn't.

:)

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

mj0

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
It's depressing that literally not a single thing on that list is even remotely important to me when it comes to smartphones. The one and most important factor for me is screen size but unlike the current trend (and obviously everybody else's priority) I'm looking for a small, 3.5-4", screen instead. Every other feature comes second since a phone with a screen larger than 4" automatically disqualifies itself because a) I cannot operate it one-handed anymore, and b) it's annoying to carry around in my front pocket. I've tried a 4.5" and 5" device and have successfully failed, and have thus reached this conclusion for myself. I realize that I'm probably one out of ten people on this planet who thinks this way, everybody else seems to go bananas for 6" screens.

Regarding that list: camera I couldn't care less for since the only photos I do take with my smartphone are quick snaps of whiteboards at work or the occasional funny thing I see on the street to show my wife/friends; quick charging is of no interest either since I charge my phone every night anyway and, more often than not, have more than 50% charge left when I plug it in; removable storage I don't care for at all since my 16GB iPhone 5S is practically empty; NFC I have never needed and wouldn't even know what to use for; wireless charging is nice but not a must have, aka I wouldn't pay extra for it. Other than most smartphone users I do not take photos of my food (and neither am I interested in looking at other people's food), I don't take selfies in front of who-knows-what or the bathroom mirror, I don't keep half a gazillion songs or videos on my phone, and I don't publish my every step on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Infact, I don't even have an Instagram or Twitter account.

This poll proves that I've officially outgrown the main focus group for smartphone manufacturers and that I can now officially abandon all hope ;)

Last edited:

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Again except for quick snaps of things to post online or something similar the camera isn't that big a deal and for those types of pictures the cameras are already sufficient. Unless you are taking pictures in fairly close settings you can't get sufficient focal length for meaningful photos (i.e. those that are printed and enlarged).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
as to the most important, i choose battery life. if there is another chance, i will choose camera...
anyone feels the same with me.
Yeah battery life will be most important for me too. I am looking at atleast 10 hours of SOT in my next phone.
Compact size, decent internal storage and expandable memory are also important.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I tend to agree that camera is the most important feature on any new phone I pick up as long as battery life and build quality are good. This is why my latest phone is an edge+.

On the subject of battery life I have come to a basic realization. There are 3 kinds of phones. Ones that have poor battery life and don't charge quickly. With these I would just not bother. Then there are two categories. The ones with great battery life and quick charge and those with adequate battery life and quick charge. I can manage either but obviously I prefer the first. Two great examples of these are the s6 vs. the s6 edge plus or notes 5. In real life the difference ends up being not feeling any pressure to get the phone on the charger soon or getting the phone on the charger when possible. For example on my s6 I would not have gone to bed without getting it on the charger. With the s6 edge plus I can go to bed with the phone by the bed and not feel pressure to get it on the charger. It will be ok in the morning and in either case a quick charge in the morning while I shower or in the car will be fine.

There are also phone like the sony Z series which have GREAT battery life and don't quick charge. Those I can work with but the Z series is the only phone I can think of in this category and now a days I just don't think not having quick charge is acceptable regardless of how great the battery life may be.