How Do You Think or Feel a "Home screen" should work?

anon(9057135)

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Meaning how do you think your home screen should work or operate.
-----
Personally, I believe that you should see updates and information about your phone. Like battery status, time, Facebook etc. And I feel like it should be your "Hub". You'll see all the info you need right there. (Kinda Mimics Windows Phone)

And I feel like Desktops, and App Drawers should scroll vertically. Imho, Swiping Left and Right just feels weird....

And it should be more interactive and live.. like moving. (There was a launcher that could do this, can't remember its name)
-----

SO, How do you think the home screen should work?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm the opposite. I like my main homescreen like my computer desktop, clean, no icons. I like my phone private, no info readily visible if my phone is laying down or someone just picks it up.

I'm not interested in the vertical scrolling either, that is like when Windows 8 went to tiles and horizontal scrolling. The first thing I did was get rid of those tiles lol. On my phone, I use widgets that I want for specific apps on other screens, but for me, I'm an less info is better flashing all over my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm ok with some widget info on the homescreen, but I don't want it to look too busy. A cleanly organized homescreen is easier on my eyes. Having information and easy toggles in the swipedown notificaiton panel is good enough for me.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm ok with some widget info on the homescreen, but I don't want it to look too busy. A cleanly organized homescreen is easier on my eyes. Having information and easy toggles in the swipedown notificaiton panel is good enough for me.

I'm the same way. Clean and simple.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-26-20-36-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-26-20-36-15.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 40

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
IT at my office hates to do anything on my computer. There is not a single icon on my desktop and only about 5 pinned on the Taskbar lol

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What launcher, clock widget, and icon pack are you using?

Posted from the one and only Note 4

I song Nova Prime, and Beautiful Widgets. I've had that forever, back before there were clock widgets lol. These icons on have had forever, but like the rounds ones. They still keep updating them and have thousands in this pack and on sale.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.djskarpia.balx&token=W-JitBd1

I also bought this pack last night, I think I'm going to switch things up tonight. This one has less app icons, but more of the system and Google icons and some popular apps, in various colors and designs. I like that these have a lot of free form icons and not just a square or circle.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.Fraom.IrideUI&token=Wp2o0-PV

They have the standard system and Google ones it you can have them in various colors. This is a small sample of the colorful ones.

Attachments

• 1443316356072.jpg
    1443316356072.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 15

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh and organization.. Our Ambassador Team Leader did a screenshot the other night showing us his home screen. He had like two rows of icons and the top row just had like 3 icons and one stuck out there by itself and not even at all.

Yeah, that bugged me a lot lol

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I song Nova Prime, and Beautiful Widgets. I've had that forever, back before there were clock widgets lol. These icons on have had forever, but like the rounds ones. They still keep updating them and have thousands in this pack and on sale.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.djskarpia.balx&token=K3DkcRjV

I also bought this pack last night, I think I'm going to switch things up tonight. This one has less app icons, but more of the system and Google icons and some popular apps, in various colors and designs. I like that these have a lot of free form icons and not just a square or circle.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.Fraom.IrideUI&token=hyEUWVKy

They have the standard system and Google ones it you can have them in various colors. This is a small sample of the colorful ones.

Yitax icon pack is what I use, and I love it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.vertumus.yitax&token=mZ0BokiB

And Nova Prime is amazing!!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just went back to using a launcher a few months ago. Years ago I used Apex and then tried some others, but always had serious lag. All the AC team members were using Nova Prime and said launchers have gotten better, so I tried it and I haven't had any lag issues at all, not on my Note 4, S6 Edge or Note 5.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I just went back to using a launcher a few months ago. Years ago I used Apex and then tried some others, but always had serious lag. All the AC team members were using Nova Prime and said launchers have gotten better, so I tried it and I haven't had any lag issues at all, not on my Note 4, S6 Edge or Note 5.

Yeah. Nova reduced the lag I had with my Note 4 to almost nothing

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Did touchwiz give you any problems?

I have never had an issue with TouchWiz, BUT.. my first Android, was my only Android that wasn't a Samsung and I knew zero about my phone. I think it was running on Donut, maybe even Cupcake. Every phone after that has been a Samsung, so TouchWiz is all I know. I could try pure Android and dump Samsung and just hate TouchWiz, I just haven't tried it. I'm the resident Samsung only girl around here, so my frame of reference is no frame of reference lol. TouchWiz never bothers me, but I don't like the changes now. I don't like folders in my app drawer and I do not like that my apps never seemed to stay in alphabetical order.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I have never had an issue with TouchWiz, BUT.. my first Android, was my only Android that wasn't a Samsung and I knew zero about my phone. I think it was running on Donut, maybe even Cupcake. Every phone after that has been a Samsung, so TouchWiz is all I know. I could try pure Android and dump Samsung and just hate TouchWiz, I just haven't tried it. I'm the resident Samsung only girl around here, so my frame of reference is no frame of reference lol. TouchWiz never bothers me, but I don't like the changes now. I don't like folders in my app drawer and I do not like that my apps never seemed to stay in alphabetical order.

Yeah I've never been a big fan of touchwiz. I used Nova on my 2013 nexus 7 and I use it now on my note 4, and it's grown on me.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've never been a big fan of touchwiz. I used Nova on my 2013 nexus 7 and I use it now on my note 4, and it's grown on me.

Well one thing I don't like about it now, that I forgot, is the app drawer and screens, don't have infinite scroll. Of course with Nova I have that on my N5 and had it on my S6E. I have it on my Note 4, which is running TouchWiz right now instead of Nova.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member