What do you do with your old Android phones?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have 3 Moto Gs and a Nexus 5 sitting around unused. I'm quickly amassing an Android retirement home for my old (but still functional) Android phones.

So what do you guys do with your old Android phones? I've turned my N5 into a portable super emulator, but its battery life is pretty abysmal, I get 2 hours of screen time at best with that 1080p screen and battery-sucking emulators, so I've replaced it with a PS Vita.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I either sell mine when the new one arrives (or before to afford the new one haha) or pass them on to 'less fortunate' family members (read: my little sister).

But I've seen people give very cool uses to old stuff, like using it for halloween costumes (camera on the back sends image to phone screen on the front and viceversa), car dashboards with tablets, good WiFi-only entertainment for the little ones, glorified music players, PC remotes (or TV remotes if you have an IR Blaster), connected door cameras/video peepholes, intercom if you have enough devices for every room (either via audio, video, or texts via WiFi), whiteboards for notes on the fridge, etc. Man, now I kinda wish I had some old ones lying around haha.

To your point, though, most of these cool things I've seen (save the Halloween stuff and sometimes the music player, even that some just keep them next to their stereos) do keep the devices connected to a charger.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I gave an old Galaxy Stellar to my 5 year old as a mini tablet. All the subsequent phones have been traded in to a carrier for one reason or another. Though, my Nexus 6 is now mine outright, and with the 6P kind of signing the Siren's song, I might have to come up with a use for it.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Keep as a backup until I decide I like the newer one enough to keep for sure, then sell.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa