Who's got a Remix Mini?

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi gang!

I know JiDe had a whole lot more support for their Remix mini than they were expecting, ergo a lot more minis went out to supporters.

I wanna know who has received theirs and what they think of it preliminarily.

I got mine today and have been so busy downloading apps that I really haven't had time to explore Remix OS. But I definitely have some very preliminary observations.

So that this initially post isn't long and inaccessible I'll share those observations below as a reply.

Meanwhile, I REALLY want to know how many of us have minis, and what we think of them!!!

Cheers!!!

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so here are my VERY preliminary observations:

1) This thing is TINY!!!! It fits in my hand, and the box, in the packing material still fit in my perfectly average sized mailbox!

2) The packaging is nice with promotional slogans here and there, the instructions and warranty were not in "Engrish" though there were one or two standout mistakes that seemed to have nothing to do with language gaps. Everything In the packaging was done neatly and smartly.

3) the device itself, though light, and small and very Spartan in its vaguely UFO design nevertheless felt solid and sturdy. And the very stylish "Remix" logo emblazoned on the top (which also serves as a touch-sensitive power on/off button) keeps it from looking outright bland.

4) The power cord is too short. The HDMI cable is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short! But the power cord is still the bigger problem with as easy as it is to get a different HDMI.

5) Firing up the machine felt fairly peppy, and setup was a breeze!

6) As little of the OS as I saw, I really can't speak like an expert, but it all looks nice, and seems to work well, though some things we take for granted now, like snapping multiple Windows a la Windows 7 and later does not work. It does have a very Windows10-like Notification Center, and that seems fine.

7) As nice as the OS looks, I still feel that the previous version of the OS looked much better as instead of having bland "Poor-man's-Windows10" plain white or black title bars, it would be like the topmost system bar on a Lollipop equipped Android phone or tablet: a thinner, darker bar above the thicker, paler/lighter main bar which sat below it. Because of this, in 1.5, it didn't so much feel like you were moving different "windows" around, but rather different Android phone or tablet screens around. It was a GREAT effect, and while 2.0 certainly isn't what I'd call "ugly", it's totally wrecked that effect, opting instead for, as I said, a "poor-man's-Windows10" look.

8) That the title bar can switch from "light theme" (white bar with black icons) to "dark theme" automatically depending on context is nice, it seems kinda haphazard when it decides to change, and is jarring when it changes. Moreover, I have yet to discover a way to lock it into one mode or the other.

9) Hopefully this is just because I'm downloading a ton of apps, but the Bluetooth mouse started getting almost unusable jumpy and stuttery. Like I said, hopefully that'll work okay in more normal conditions.

9) So far, the ONLY apps I've opened are the play store and the JiDe settings app. The setting app is ultra-Spartan, but works fine. The play store looks exactly like it's supposed to, with crisp, vivid visuals, all the animations are there and then some, and after a minute of initial sluggishness started working at a perfectly acceptable pace. However, I've gotten several "server error"s while trying to download apps and one hard crash. I know the server errors could actually be the fault of the store and not the Remix, but it seems suspicious to have already happened several times over the course of about 60 apps, especially when I almost never saw it on my old Note 3.

All in all, it still feels a little bit buggy and rough around the edges. But with as innovative (and even possibly revolutionary) as it is, this can be overlooked. The real test, I suppose, will be when I've had a chance to try out the apps. If they're all buggy and crash all the time, and/or if most of them, and important ones don't really work with keyboard and mouse, then this experiment will be a real disappointment. Otherwise, as I hinted at above, this thing could change the world!

Hope this thing ends up living up to the promise I clearly see in it!!!

Cheers!!!

Aikuchi

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been enjoying mine overall. I wish it had a little more power though. Opening up multiple windows works mostly well. I like two split screen with one half being youtube and the other half being a browser. I find the browser to be one of the most frustrating things though. First of all none of the browsers are make for mouse and cursor, so there is no navigation bar on the side, a scroll wheel work fine, but I didn't realize how much I would miss nav bar until it was gone. Also I miss the bookmark bar on the top. Another frustrating thing is there are no extensions in mobile chrome, so no add blocking, so I also installed adblock browser, so it is a little annoying that I have to switch browsers off and on.
Another I really don't like is that you can't put widgets on the desktop, instead they went old Mac style were you hit a button and you get a widget overlay. I also don't like that you can't have live wallpaper, I never use LW on my phone because I worry it eats up the battery, but with a plugged in device I would actually use it.
Video works good: Google Play, Amazon, YouTube, Kodi, except Netflix(the ota next week should fix that).
Games have been sold, Kotor, Elder Signs, Star Realms, Ducktales(mostly, there has been some slowing), Star Wars Uprising have worked good. I have been using a PS3 controller with USB cable and I haven't had many problems.
I have been using a Logitech K330 Wireless mouse and keyboard and it works great, it hasn't skipped a beat.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pnslr

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I got my Remix Mini the other day. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it's like because Jide sent me the wrong country's adapter and I haven't bought a travel adapter yet. When I contacted them asking for the correct adapter, I was told:

Really sorry to tell you that we cannot change the order or send any extra plugs right now since the shipment has already begun. If you want to make the mini work, my little suggestion is that the easiest way is to buy an EU-US power adapter, which could be useful as well as you travel around.

They have since refused to respond to any followups asking if they could send me one eventually. I understand that they made a mistake since they had to ship out thousands of Remixes in a short span, but to essentially tell me, "Sorry, but you aren't getting what you paid for," and telling me I need to buy a travel adapter for my own country to make their product work is absolutely disrespectful. Just letting potential buyers know that if anything goes wrong with your Remix, Jide's customer service isn't going to be all that helpful.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I got mine and ur not kidding...I had to use a different HDMI cord and put the remix in a awkward spot to reach the outlet.

leobloom

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
One thing I have noticed is that my Chromecast has been getting less used every day.

I'm in the UK, a few of our TV apps don't Chromecast so was hoping the mini would fix this however out of the five apps I use only 2 work (all 4 and demand 5, where as itv hub, iPlayer and TV Player don't stream at all).

Dual window is good (as above I keep trying to snap) if a little clumsy. Hate not having access to the proper chrome desktop browser.

Sometimes it won't turn on after going into sleep/standby mode. Hoping an update will fix this.

Haven't used it much for non media apps like documents or games. But WPS office works great.

Overall pleased (supplied HDMI cable is short and poor quality) replaced with a longer one of my own. The worst thing for me is as such a small company there is slow support for issues things take a lot longer to get replies.

I bought the remix tablet so used to it, and bought two minis to see what they could do and pretty happy with it, in the future it would be nice to have a few accessories to go with these devices. Desperately want a nice keyboard less cover for my tablet and a nice case for the mini if traveling.

Posted via the Android Central App

richhoops

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
After a few weeks I am loving this little thing. I have it in my little study room at home with PC on one monitor and the remix mini on the other.

Using the Remix for video and have it running Sky Go, BT Sport, YouTube, Google Play Movies, Netflix and Amazon just fine. Currently watching this weeks AC Podcast in video for once.

It's proving a really useful little device for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez