AXGIO Mini Pro Bluetooth Headset Review!

Jason Cockerham

Community Review Team Leader
Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
AXGIO Mini Pro Bluetooth Headset

Mini Pro Earbuds 3.jpg

AXGIO is a small, Chinese base company that specializes in smartphone accessories. They have quite a wide range of products from wireless chargers to Bluetooth headsets. Their aim is to offer a wide set of quality accessories at a low price. I was sent one of their Mini Pro Bluetooth headsets to take a look at and what I found was…well you’ll have to keep reading.

Design

The design of the AXGIO Mini Pro headset is…interesting. It is basically a round circle with an earpiece sticking out. That’s really all there is too it. It vaguely resembles a weird, skinny mushroom. In an effort to make it slim and inconspicuous, it kind of had the opposite effect in my testing. Not only did I myself think it looked a bit odd hanging out of my ear, many of my friends and colleagues thought the same thing. Many asked what it was and why it looked the way it did. My only response was that I had no idea. In AXGIO’s defense however, when you’re designing a bluetooth headset, there isn’t really a whole lot of room to work with so you have to get creative. Maybe they could have paid their creative design team just a little more.

Mini Pro Earbuds.jpg

In addition to looking odd, the earpiece always felt like it was going to slip right out of my ear. It never actually did, but it always felt like it and that was enough to be annoying. I did get more used to it over time, but that feeling never completely went away. Also, when I first got the device, it took about 20 minutes to playing around with different ear tips and earpieces to get a fit that worked for me. Thankfully, AXGIO included about a hundred different configurations for me to try (ok not really 100 but it was a lot). The selection included a collect of both rubber tips and plastic ear pieces that go over the ear. I highly recommend using the over-ear pieces as well because I could never get the darn thing to stay in just with the rubber tips.

The top of the earpiece is just one big button that controls almost everything on the device. It’s the power button as well as the paring button. Situated around the side are a microUSB port for charging and a single button for volume. There is also a small hole where the microphone sits. The volume button only turns the volume up, but don’t worry, AXGIO isn’t trying to destroy your ears. There is a way to turn it down. You simply keep pressing the button until the volume is all the way up. One more press will give you beep confirming that the volume is at the highest, then one more press will set the volume back to it’s lowest volume. It’s a clever way of controlling volume without having to include an extra button. The microUSB charging port is a…microUSB charging port. It actually does serve another function which I’ll get to…

…now! AXGIO cleverly intends this headset to be more than just a device for phone calls. They have configured this guy to actually be a full headset for listening to music as well. In the package, there is a whole other earpiece that connects to the main earpiece via that microUSB port. Their goal is to turn a mono earpiece into a stereo headset. The results are…mixed. Although the system does technically work, once plugged in, the sound just became…weird. The quality was fine, there was no static or loss of volume or anything like that, it just feels like the stereo tuning isn’t quite there, almost like it’s trying to go full stereo, but it can’t quite figure out where to land. Honestly, it’s pretty hard to describe but hopefully you get the idea. It didn’t really make the device unusable for me, and if you use it longer than a week your ears may adjust, but it was just a bit odd. The sound quality was actually surprisingly good. Now don’t go thinking that you’ll be getting Bose level quality here, but it’s better than I expected.

Mini Pro Earbuds 5.jpg

Functionality

As I mentioned, there’s a big button on top of the earpiece which powers it on and is used for pairing. You simply press and hold the button for about ten seconds and you’ll see a small flashing red light which let’s you know the device is in pairing mode. Then you simply connect through the bluetooth settings on your phone. If your phone asks you for a password, a simple “0000” will suffice.

Mini Pro Earbuds 4.jpg

One very cool feature that AXGIO has included which some manufactures do not is the ability to connect to more than one phone. Once you’ve paired the first device, you turn off the Bluetooth settings on the first device, then pair the second, then restart the device and it will automatically connect to both devices from then on. It’s a pretty sweet setup for those of us that carry around multiple phones.

Operating this little guy is pretty straightforward. If a call comes in, a single tap on the button or a vocal “yes” will answer the call. Holding the button for about 2 seconds, or saying “no” will reject the call. Ending a call is as simple as a single press while in a call. You can also redial the last number dialed by double-tapping.

Listening to music work pretty much the same way. A simple press will play or pause music, but some phones may require you to actually start your music playing app first. Unfortunately I was not able to find a way to skip tracks using the headset which is kind of a bummer. We’ve all been listening to music at times and a song comes on that just is not vibe-ing with our jam and needs to be skipped. It looks like you’ll have to do it the old fashioned way and actually tap the skip button on your phone. Oh the humanity!! Double tapping during music would be cool and maybe something they’ll add later, but for now that didn’t seem to work for me. Oh well. Lastly, if a call comes in while in the middle of said jam session, the music will pause while on the call, then resume once the call is finished. Pretty much as you’d expect.

A few other cool-to-have features. Although, there is not battery indicator on the device itself, if you’re an iPhone user, the battery status will display next to the Bluetooth symbol just like other Bluetooth devices. Sorry Android users! We still love you! Well most of you anyway…the jury is still out on Phil… Also, AXGIO has built in an “auto-off” feature that will power off the device after 10 minutes of inactivity. I’m fairly certain the device has to be disconnected for that to happen, but I couldn’t figure that out definitively.

So? What do you think?

I have mixed feelings about this device. The functionality is cool, and it does what it says it’s supposed to. Call quality was good and I was pleasantly surprised how well the microphone picked me up while on a call. Music playback was fine and again, the quality was better than I expected. Not phenomenal by any stretch, but surpassed my expectations. I do like how you can connect another earpiece and turn a mono earpiece into a stereo headset when either on a call or listening to music. I didn’t have any troubles paring or operating the device and it couldn’t be any simpler to operate.

The overall results however, were mixed for me. The stereo tuning was a bit weird and felt like it wasn’t quite where it should be. Like I said, you may get used to it over time, and I also might just be weird and my brain was not hearing it correctly (for the record, I am weird so there’s that). There are also a lot of pieces that are small and easy to lose, but AXGIO does give you a pretty nifty carrying case for everything which is nice.

My biggest aversion to this guy is the design. It’s a bit awkward and it doesn’t sit quite as firmly in my ear as I would like, which is a big deal for a Bluetooth headset that is meant to live…in my ear. It never got uncomfortable, but it never really got comfortable either. Not only does it feel awkward, but it looks awkward too. I always felt weird with it sticking out of my ear and if I’m going to be constantly walking about with something hanging out of my ears, I want it to look at least somewhat attractive and sensical **cough cough** AirPods **cough cough**.

Mini Pro Earbuds 6.jpg

After taking all of these things into account, by far the most important thing to consider is the price. At $17, things start to look a little different. The pros of great functionality and added features begin to outweigh the somewhat awkward design. Once you realize that this is not only a great Bluetooth headset for phone calls, but also a pretty decent set of earphones for music, you start to reach a little more for that good ole’ wallet.

Ok sooo….should I buy it?

Yes! Well, maybe. Truthfully, I feel like the bluetooth headsets of yesteryear are on their way out. Most people are either using the free headphones that came with their phone, or they’ve invested in a really good pair of Bluetooth headphones for music and calls. If you’re main use is for music, then I would certainly look elsewhere. However, if you just need something cheap that still works well for the occasional phone call and is also super portable, then this is a good option for you.

If I had to sum up my feelings toward this headset, it would be, meh. Nothing about it really stands out and you can find more attractive and better quality designs from other manufacturers, but where AXGIO has a leg up is price. If you really need a cheap Bluetooth headset for whatever reason, then yeah, grab a pair. Heck, at that price, I’d pick up two pairs. Especially if you’re like me and prone to losing things.

Pros:
-Price
-Quality better than expected
-Easy to use

Cons:
-Design is a bit awkward
-Never quite felt secure in ear
-Stereo tuning was a bit off for me

If you do wanna grab a pair, it comes in black, white, or coffee, but since the coffee color resembles something close to baby vomit, I would strongly recommend NOT getting that color. The other colors are just fine and you can order from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/AXGIO-Mini-P...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5434448. I think you’ll be glad you did, just keep in mind that, like with all things, you get what you pay for. At $17 though, you could do worse.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: AXGIO Mini Pro Bluetooth Headset

Sounds pretty good considering the price.I was impressed with my Axgio zest Bluetooth earphones too

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: AXGIO Mini Pro Bluetooth Headset

Could be just the thing to keep in my car. I need something to BT pair with to activate Driving Mode on my 1520... And I could take voice nav directions on the headset while my wife dozed in the passenger seat on a long trip.

P,S.: Can we get a pic of how that over the ear deal looks?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe