Android UI Impression

omegaslasher

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am an Iphone 4 user and recently got interested in android. I have been using iphones since the iphone 3g and wantedto try something new. However, when I went into a shop to try out android phones, it seems that the OS is kind of laggy? Is it due to my opinion or is it really true that the Android OS seems less polished and does not utilize the system's resources to the maximum?

And I tested out the droids recently. Abt 1 month ago. I am in the UK....

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Depends on which phone you tried. If you tried a low-end one, it could be laggy. I would not expect that impression from any of the of 1ghz or better phones.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Most Android phones have a custom skin. Some of these will cause lag on low and mid range phones. The market has plenty of home replacements like ADW, LauncherPro, and Zeam. ADW and LauncherPro give tons of customization settings. Zeam is more for minimalists

Sent from my HTC EVO with Tapatalk Pro

quarkgluonsoup

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Rooting it will make it much faster. That alone will do a lot. There are also certain "lag fixes" which improve it even beyond that. I am using a Samsung Captivate (AT&T's Galaxy S) and for the Galaxy S phones like mine there is something called "Project Voodoo" which is a community of developers who produce something called "Voodoo" that is embedded in the kernels of certain custom ROMs. It addresses this problem directly (as well as a few other tweaks, such as improving the precision of the colors on the screen). I can definately tell the difference Voodoo makes. I am not sure what there is for other phones, although I believe this is an active area of development for rooted phones.

omegaslasher

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
yeah tks for the insights.

So I can assume that the native phone bought off the shelf is not smooth? And I must root the phone to gain the best out of it?

Like jailbreaking iphone?

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
No the high end phones are smooth right off the shelf most of the time. Rooting enables you to take the phone to the next level (wireless tether,change clock speed, install custom roms) What model phone are you considering?

Sent from my HTC EVO with Tapatalk Pro

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
yeah tks for the insights.

So I can assume that the native phone bought off the shelf is not smooth? And I must root the phone to gain the best out of it?

Like jailbreaking iphone?

No, a generic android device will not necessarily means that it slow. It depends on the phone itself. Rooting is more a personal preference really, it depends on you on how much you want to customize your device. :)

omegaslasher

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
oh ok....

Basically in the UK and countries in asia...we dont get to see large variety of droids.

We dont get the cool stuff that motorola churns out in the US...the best would be samsung galaxy S and the HTC stuff....

The droids I tried so far didnt really cut it...thats why i still stuck with my iphone 4. But with all the tablets coming out....I would like to put my money on a reasonable phone that can sync well with the tablets

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Also take note that those demo units take a lot of abuse, and I can't tell you how many of them I've seen running like 3 different task managers all at once, which slows things down. Try not to judge an experience with a phone solely off of a demo unit. :)

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a BlackBerry, I was highly impressed with the speed of the Galaxy S. I do find times when it will lag a bit, but that is usually right after closing down a large app (so I figure it is reallocating memory). Other than very few times that I have seen some lag, it works very well and is very responsive.

I haven't rooted yet, although I plan to once the official FroYo is out and loaded. Once they get Voodoo and ClockWork tested for FroYo/Mesmerize, I'll probably load those up to for even better performance.