Move from Note 2 to what ? :-()

DenseGuy

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi my first post :)

CURRENT PHONE INFO-

Ok so my current phone Note 2 recently started playing up. Battery would take ages to charge with different cables and chargers. So I got a new genuine battery and it started charging super fast, all good? Yes it seemed so but after few months it started switching off and not turning on unless I dissconected the battery. Sometimes I would see new message blinking LED but could not get in as pressing the power button would not do anything. Now it turns off by itself 10-15 times a day.

Then last week I dropped it accidentally from 3 story up on concrete lol Believe it or not there is not a single crack or noticeable damage. Although it is still doing the turning off by itself thing that was happening pre drop. There are no apps draining battery alarmingly and battery always had a charge, so it was not switching because of no juice.

As a last resort I will do a factory reset after backing up but keeping my options open and in the market for a replacement phone.

BUDGET-

I can stretch my budget to $USD 600-700 but don't want to throw money just for the sake of it.
MY WISH-
- Minimum 2560 x 1440px screen resolution (no compromise)
- Removable Battery (no compromise)
- Expandable memory (can compromise if have to)
- Pen (can compromise if I have to)
- More battery juice than my current Note2
- Infra red to trigger my camera
- Good screen as I am an artist and sometimes I show work on it to clients.

Initial research seems to point me to Note 4/5 but I am not sure if I want another Samsung device. Note 5 not worth $1000 for me. Note 4 could be an option at $500. Google 6P maybe but no removable battery though?

Any advice?

Last edited:

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the Note 4 or the 6P. And with the rapid charging on the 6P, you shouldn't have any trouble with battery life and it is the newer device out of the two. That's a tough one though. The Note 5 is a great device, but like you said, it is a bit more expensive. I think the 6P is a fantastic device especially considering the price!

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
LG V10 gives you everything on your list except the stylus, which to me sounds pretty important to you. I'd recommend the Note 4 if you want all that in 1 package. Nexus 6P is good but you will not have micro sd card, removeable battery, or stylus. It's a good price right now but it doesn't tick some of the main boxes on your list.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
$600-700 budget? Definitely get the Note 5. I hear many great things about it. It's arguably the best phone on the market. I "settled" for the Nexus 6P because it was more affordable.

Google Nexus 6P

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If the battery is no compromise, then you got a short list... a Note 4 or an LG V10. Not a lot of options. If you can live without a removable battery, well, things open up quite a bit. Note 5, 6P, V10, Moto X Pure, etc...

I'm partial to the 6P out of that group :) Well, I own one. But all things considered, I also happen to think it's the best of the lot (hence the ownage)

DenseGuy

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
My problem with non removable battey is that it has a limited life. No matter how quick a battery charges, if it goes south I am left with a brick. That suits manufacturers as you are forced to buy a new phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My problem with non removable battey is that it has a limited life. No matter how quick a battery charges, if it goes south I am left with a brick. That suits manufacturers as you are forced to buy a new phone.

Every phone can have its battery replaced...even those built like tanks. Sure, it might cost you a little bit to have it 'professionally' done, but I am not all that fearful of sealed batteries.

BHO mber

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
A battery will out last the use of the phone if you don't mess with it. Having a removable battery can promote battery wear if you keep switching it up. If you are worried about battery life I would get a portable charger, much more juice than a 2nd battery.

Don't get a note 4, don't know why people keep saying that they have horrible battery life. Your only options given what you want is a note 5 with a portable charger or a v10 with a pen. Both are great options. Also a 6p but now have to get a portable charger and a pen.

With a newer phone you are also getting 6.0 which brings better battery performance. Depending on your market and carrier you might not get 6.0 for the note 4, looking at you verizon.

*edit* just saw you are in Europe so the note 5 is to much, on that note look up a v10.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If the battery is no compromise, then you got a short list... a Note 4 or an LG V10. Not a lot of options. If you can live without a removable battery, well, things open up quite a bit. Note 5, 6P, V10, Moto X Pure, etc...

I'm partial to the 6P out of that group :) Well, I own one. But all things considered, I also happen to think it's the best of the lot (hence the ownage)
Where do you get a note 5 for $700?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
At this point to sell more of them they should discount them. I don't care about free chargers etc. Just give a lower price on a phone that has been out for a while. Most people who were going to buy a note 5 bought one before xmas.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Maybe the problem is I want 64 gb model but I don't think vzw discounts full price model. I must pay full price to keep udp. My only hope is that Samsung will have a sale on the vzw model.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Samsung only sales the Verizon developer edition.

Samsung had rebates they offered over the holidays. I think they are still offering rebates.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but not money anymore unless you use Samsung pay which I won't. Good idea though. Samsung emails me when they have sales but I never knew they only sell dev ed. Usually that costs more and isn't really supported by vzw. I do not intend to root it although at one time my note 3 was rooted. Not worth the trouble really.

I bought my wife a new engagement ring for Christma$$ so I'm not going to thoughtlessly blow the $ the way I usually do.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well actually the promos depend on carrier. TMO has another one through Samsung with free Netflix so people can cancel their paid Netflix and also monthly credit on the payment amount.

If one carrier is all you are interested in, then promos are limited.

DenseGuy

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok desperate times.

Note 2 is seriously playing up despite full factory reset. I was hoping it was software related and that a reset would make it good. Definitely some sort of gradual hardware failure.

I need to pick a new phone up on Monday as this crazy Note 2 is impacting my interaction with clients. I might dump the pen as surface Pro is on my "TO BUY" list.

So here are my realistic options Large screen QHD and decent battery life are most important + no snail. Anything similar or faster than note 2 will do.

1) Note 4- 32GB $520

2) Nexus 6P- 32GB $600

3) LG V10 Not available here and seems it will be in Note 5 $ 900+ range

4) Note 5 $900+ and not available right now anyway.

5) Galaxy S5 $329

6) Galaxy S6 $500

Part of me thinks just get a cheap HD phone and forgot about it all.

Note 4 appeals most to me from the list for price feature value. Nexus 6P attracts me too.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89