Are you wearing an android watch?

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm using an Asus Zenwatch 2, and I love it. I use it everyday, and it helps me avoid constantly having to look at my phone or pull it out at work to check it. I mostly use it for time(no kidding lol), setting reminders like when I leave for lunch to know when it's been an hour(I'm horrible for forgetting when I leave), and checking messages and emails at a glance. I also think it is an attractive watch. I like some of the round watches, but the fact that you get the picture cut off at the top was a turn off for me. The square look is more functional in my opinion, but I think the round may look a little better. Either way, I loved it so much I got one for my brother for Christmas, and he loves it too.

The downside is it does lag sometimes, and there isn't a lot you can do with them WELL. I mean sure, it has things like a calculator, but come on this isn't the 90s. It isn't worth the convenience of struggling over the small screen just to do a bit of math. Amazon app for buying on a watch? You serious? That is a lot more hassle than helpful, unless your weird and just know what you always want on amazon. lol

Overall, I like android wear more than apple watch. The android watch seems to be more about an extension of the phone where apple is trying to replace it. I don't want to do EVERYTHING with the watch, just make some things easier. Like having a list of items to get from the store without walking around with my phone out loosing the use of one hand completely. The reason I got the watch to start with was I was missing too many calls since I leave my phone on vibrate all the time between work and church, I just don't change it. I no longer miss calls thanks to the watch.

I was just wondering who all has a watch, and what you thought of them. Do you use it very much, or was it a fad for you?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Moto360 for about a year now and couldn't be happier. I do agree that apps are a bit more useful in Apple Watch than on Android Wear, but overall I like AW as well. Just wish apps took more advantage of the watch than limiting themselves to notifications and maybe replies.

strawbee

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Overall, I like android wear more than apple watch. The android watch seems to be more about an extension of the phone where apple is trying to replace it. I don't want to do EVERYTHING with the watch, just make some things easier. Like having a list of items to get from the store without walking around with my phone out loosing the use of one hand completely. The reason I got the watch to start with was I was missing too many calls since I leave my phone on vibrate all the time between work and church, I just don't change it. I no longer miss calls thanks to the watch.

I was just wondering who all has a watch, and what you thought of them. Do you use it very much, or was it a fad for you?
I don't have a watch, but that is exactly why my SO loves his Moto 360. It's an unintrusive extension of his phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And it's so fun to turn on with your nose! Hahahaha (bad habit I've gotten into :( ).

I used to be amused at people asking me how I'd gotten an Apple Watch before launch (sighs!) but now I'm amused at people asking me if I'm smelling my watch haha. I turn it on with my nose because my other hand is busy holding something else... Ironically, it's usually my phone haha. But the one thing that has 'shifted' socially is that now I do get asked if I'm in a hurry to leave or something because I keep glancing at my watch... and I can't help it! It's not that I need to leave, is that now I get a notification and I glance at the watch. It's one of those things that we'll have to get used to, I guess, sort of like when people started using smartphones everywhere.

VermaEklavya

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I use an LG G Watch R. The best use case I find for it is when I'm driving, it gives me turn by turn navigation right on the watch, and also lets me control music from Spotify (both of which are happening on my phone, which is also connected via a Bluetooth dongle to my car's stereo system). Also while driving, I can receive calls and glance at notifications on traffic lights without reaching for my phone. So in short, I have an old car with no smart display on the dashboard, and android wear is basically filling that gap for me... somewhat. Other than that, it is not too professional looking so I find myself usually wearing it on a night around town, or an evening out with my partner or friends.

Posted via the Android Central App

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the zenwatch2 has a decently elegant design. I wear it with suits and casual both. I went for the gunmetal gray with brown leather. I got my brother the same watch. He has massive wrists, so I had to buy an XXL band. Thankfully eBay was to the rescue. Plus the watch takes normal 22mm bands.

Yes, technically the phone does everything the watch does. However, it is much more freeing for me to be able to glance down, flick your wrist, and see whats going on to know if it really requires you to drag your phone out, and swipe the screen. I also don't like having to pull out the phone and wake the screen up just to see what time it is when I'm out of the house. The asus watch keeps the phone unlocked if your within Bluetooth, so you don't have to go through security 24/7(I'm sure other watches can do that too). I really don't like having to lock it down, cause I have to unlocked every time I need to check things. This allows it to be locked for security, but not from me. My phone is also in a holster, and I just don't feel it vibrate hardly ever anymore. The watch keeps me informed without missing so much now.

I guess there is just a lot less steps involved with taking care of quick things with the watch. The only thing I still can't do is talk to the watch in public with "ok google." But on that score I still can't do that with my phone either. lol I'm already a geek, don't want to be a dork on top of that. :D

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Gear S watch last February and wore it everyday till about May. I got bored with it then and started wearing my old Casio digital watch again. I hated having to push a button to see the time.

I can't see myself ever being interested in another one.

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Gear S watch last February and wore it everyday till about May. I got bored with it then and started wearing my old Casio digital watch again. I hated having to push a button to see the time.

I can't see myself ever being interested in another one.

That would defeat some of the convenience of a watch in my opinion too. Thankfully, Android has addressed this with a few things. Always on screen mixed with ambient mode. My zenwatch2 is always showing the time. It isn't full color in ambient mode, in fact it is usually a black /white still image(no second hand and no moving parts), but it works great for the time part and the colors depend on the watch face design. When you get a notification it goes full color, and when you move your wrist it shows up(well, mostly does...my friends Apple watch is MUCH more sensitive to this...but the screen isn't always on). Because of the ambient mode I get two days of normal use out of the watch, but I normally charge all my devices every night. I don't like going two days, because you are out of the habit of charging and you will forget when you really need it and won't have it. Motion controls are a really new feature also that avoid you having to press anything. You can flick your wrist left or right to scroll through notifications if you don't feel like interacting just yet. It doesn't work as good as I would like in practice, but at least they are trying. This could be due to my watch's sensor also, and very depending on model.

The watch has been a life saver for me. Looking forward to the next update where I can see what they have planned for the built in speaker this has, but isn't being used yet.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That would defeat some of the convenience of a watch in my opinion too. Thankfully, Android has addressed this with a few things. Always on screen mixed with ambient mode. My zenwatch2 is always showing the time. It isn't full color in ambient mode, in fact it is usually a black /white still image(no second hand and no moving parts), but it works great for the time part and the colors depend on the watch face design. When you get a notification it goes full color, and when you move your wrist it shows up(well, mostly does...my friends Apple watch is MUCH more sensitive to this...but the screen isn't always on). Because of the ambient mode I get two days of normal use out of the watch, but I normally charge all my devices every night. I don't like going two days, because you are out of the habit of charging and you will forget when you really need it and won't have it. Motion controls are a really new feature also that avoid you having to press anything. You can flick your wrist left or right to scroll through notifications if you don't feel like interacting just yet. It doesn't work as good as I would like in practice, but at least they are trying. This could be due to my watch's sensor also, and very depending on model.

The watch has been a life saver for me. Looking forward to the next update where I can see what they have planned for the built in speaker this has, but isn't being used yet.
Well the Gear S had the feature where it would turn on when you turned your wrist towards you to look at the watch but half the time, it never worked for me. I ended up shutting that off. I really wanted to like the watch and the biggest reason that I regret buying it is because the watch is running Tizen.

I read an article on one of the news sites yesterday that said all of the failed mobile operating systems, find new life on TVs. It mentioned Tizen as being one that Samsung is pushing on their TVs. I have a Samsung TV and it's just as bad on there as it is on my Gear S. Luckily I got the TV for free from my job as a bonus last year.

There will never be a huge developer support as Apple has or maybe even Android Wear. Not sure where Android Wear is but as far as Apple is concerned, I have dozens of apps on my iPhone that I have updated over the past few months that have been updated to add Apple Watch support.

I will never own an Apple Watch even though I am using an iPhone as my main phone now.

I feel my complaints here probably can go for any smart watch being sold today besides Apple.

beanboy89

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been Moto 360 wearer for about five months. TBH, I just wanted a really cool, super-customizable watch, and the fact that it can show notifications from my phone makes it all the better.

Keith1980

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I have a Pebble Steel, the original. Very clean & elegant watch, can read emails & texts, get the footy scores, Great battery, all round winner.

Posted via the Android Central App

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Yep... wear my moto360 daily. Physically its held up remarkably well over the years, very impressive job by Motorola. Everything from the IPS display, gorilla glass, 400 mah battery, stainless steel case, wireless charging reliability, and the click feel of the button has exceeded my expectations. Love the android wear app eco-system as well.

The android wear OS though has been a rotten egg. Its just too poorly supported (at least on this device), by google for me to openly recommend it.

25466204338_b2731b2356_z.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38