LG G4 Bootlooped. What Phone Below $400 Or Less Should I Get?

Ronzon Fumes

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
As in the title my LG G4 bootlooped on me today and since I bought "refurbished" on ebay I don't have a warranty to have it replaced.

I've been looking at the OnePlus 3, the ZenFone line, and a few other devices but can't quite determine what is best. I also understand that as much as I love it I am going to have to give up having a removable battery.

What phones $400 or less would you guys recommend?

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Isn't LG offering any solution/replacement for these bootlooped G4s?
Unless it was rooted, buying from ebay etc shouldn''t matter unless it was reported stolen. That's my understanding, but it's LG... so..

I am not an android guy but I hear good things about Asus and One+ phones like you said, if you check specs, there are 4-5 phones, but there is almost something one will be missing that others will have, and vice versa.

You may want to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8fBNsRt9bw

Ronzon Fumes

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
They are but as far as I'm aware my phone does not have any warranty through them. Plus I had unlocked the bootloader to put cyanogenmod so I'm sure that would mess it up even if I did have a warranty.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
You can definitely contact LG and I'm betting that they will replace it. The phone bootlooping is not your fault. It's a manufacturer defect. I bought mine back in February from Swappa. Granted, it was brand a brand new device. Mine bootlooped a few days ago, and I took it into Verizon and they replaced it the very next day. LG will replace it one year from the date of your purchase.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh no! I'm so sorry that that happened to you! There are a few really good phones out now that can satisfy your needs. I'm not sure about the price of the LG G5 off-contract, but it's $0 for a two-year contract at Rogers. I'd even recommend looking on Swappa and eBay for some options - just be sure you get all of the information you can about the device and its condition, etc.

Ronzon Fumes

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I will try and contact LG to see if they will replace it. I'm just concerned they won't since I rooted it and bought it off a reseller on ebay. If only it was as easy and taking it to a T-Mobile store. haha

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh. And by the way. I didn't pay anything for Verizon to replace mine. Even if your phone was used when you bought it, if it's under a year old, T-Mobile should replace it under the warranty.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I will try and contact LG to see if they will replace it. I'm just concerned they won't since I rooted it and bought it off a reseller on ebay. If only it was as easy and taking it to a T-Mobile store. haha

Any progress on contacting LG?

By the way, awesome profile picture! Is that Pikachu from Smash Bros.?

Ronzon Fumes

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I contacted them. They are going to swap out the motherboard on it. I am considering still getting a new phone and selling the G4 when I get it back due to based on what I've read people still have problems after getting them fixed. Kind of a win-lose-win-lose situation. haha

And thanks yes it is Pikachu from Smash Bros.

Also Butterfree is awesome too.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I contacted them. They are going to swap out the motherboard on it. I am considering still getting a new phone and selling the G4 when I get it back due to based on what I've read people still have problems after getting them fixed. Kind of a win-lose-win-lose situation. haha

And thanks yes it is Pikachu from Smash Bros.

Also Butterfree is awesome too.

Glad that they are going to help you! That's great! And yeah, I see what you're saying. It'd perhaps be worthwhile to grab a new device. No fix is guaranteed, for sure.

And that's awesome! Pikachu is my favourite character to play on Smash Bros.! And thanks!! :)

Ronzon Fumes

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Decided to get an LG G5 on Swappa due to an amazing bundle I found. I figured if I don't end up liking the phone I could easily make my money back by selling it all separately. But based on what I've read I'll probably be alot better off with it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Decided to get an LG G5 on Swappa due to an amazing bundle I found. I figured if I don't end up liking the phone I could easily make my money back by selling it all separately. But based on what I've read I'll probably be alot better off with it.

That's awesome! The G5 is a fabulous phone! Congratulations, and Happy Phone Day!