Opinion: Are Apps Dying?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I use Google Assistant daily; often for simple tasks .. calculations without opening the calculator, traffic,weather forecast when traveling, etc. This morning I used GA to make restaurant reservations via OpenTable for next week. I read Jerry's piece on Andy Rubin and found the concept interesting.

People have been talking more about the demise of apps in favor for AI. The way I engage my Pixel, I can see less and less apps in favor of AI commands at some point in the near future. IMO, hardware will always have it's place, but services are the future. So regardless of your ecosystem of choice, the assistant will be the primary point of engagement instead of apps.

I don't consider myself as tech savvy as most members of the AC community, so I would be interested in what you think. :confused:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Until everything gets more streamlined, I think apps will still be around. Let's take an example of getting an idea in your device. Everyone has their own way of accomplishing this task. Be it Keep, Evernote, One Drive, etc, until Google can address this, there is always a need for apps. Even if you stay in the Google ecosystem, I still prefer to have a note go in Keep, as opposed to a reminder through Google Now.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm a very basic user, I never use any of the apps on my phone (although I keep them up to date lol). I did use Cortana extensively, and use Google now the same. I like the simplicity of having one hands free assistant that can take care of pretty much whatever I need....it gives me more time to focus on other things. Plus I'm lazy and don't like fiddling with my phone much ;):D

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Until everything gets more streamlined, I think apps will still be around. Let's take an example of getting an idea in your device. Everyone has their own way of accomplishing this task. Be it Keep, Evernote, One Drive, etc, until Google can address this, there is always a need for apps. Even if you stay in the Google ecosystem, I still prefer to have a note go in Keep, as opposed to a reminder through Google Now.

I do that now with Assistant.. "Okay Google.. make a note in Keep to have me update my resume.." Done. Granted, Assistant needs to get rolled out to more phones and that will happen over time, I believe. I've only had the Pixel since October so there's still a lot of trial and error with the Assistant, but I can say it does handle some very basics tasks very well and conveniently.

As I've used it more and more, it's just caused me to question the need for apps. I mean, at some point wouldn't it just make sense to build Keep, for example, straight into Assistant and say "Open Keep" instead having the app? Not saying this would be something we'd see tomorrow or anything, but maybe within 5 years..?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm a very basic user, I never use any of the apps on my phone (although I keep them up to date lol). I did use Cortana extensively, and use Google now the same. I like the simplicity of having one hands free assistant that can take care of pretty much whatever I need....it gives me more time to focus on other things. Plus I'm lazy and don't like fiddling with my phone much ;):D

I know what you mean, kinda... This is really my first time using any type of virtual assistant this much. It's been interesting having it take over simple tasks.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The voice-command assistants are good for doing a single simple task.

Many apps are purposed beyond doing a single simple task then exiting. Anything that requires interaction over a period of time will always require an app.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
A very interesting thread topic! I'm not a heavy app downloader or user, but I have to admit that I do have my top three or five apps that I can't "live" without. I think apps still have a purpose and that one's individual preferences and usage will dictate their app downloading/usage.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I do that now with Assistant..

I didn't know that could be done. However, since Keep can get a little more complex, I am wondering how well the voice interaction would work. Say when adding a link, or a checklist.

I rarely use voice interaction with my phone. I'm sure I am not the only one, and that is another facet to why apps won't go away any time soon.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I rarely use voice interaction with my phone.

I guess I would have said the same thing until I started using Google home. Now I talk to it all the time. Lights, shopping list, music, controlling my tv, etc. all done with my home device. I am now waiting for more of these functionalities to hit my phone. I like opening my fridge and saying hey google add grapes to my shopping list. When I get to my store I open keep and there is the list.

I can't wait for home and phone to work more seamlessly. I find I am interacting with my phone through voice commands more than before.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
The voice-command assistants are good for doing a single simple task.

Many apps are purposed beyond doing a single simple task then exiting. Anything that requires interaction over a period of time will always require an app.

I agree that assistants have their limitations as it stands today, but what if the first step would be to remove the icons from the phone and have the assistant be the point of engagement instead of touching an icon. You would still operate the program as you always have. I think that could be a starting point.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
A very interesting thread topic! I'm not a heavy app downloader or user, but I have to admit that I do have my top three or five apps that I can't "live" without. I think apps still have a purpose and that one's individual preferences and usage will dictate their app downloading/usage.

I agree, Madam Butterfly (or is it a really pretty moth?:p ), mostly; but I question whether users dictate advances in technology or does new technology come out and the user adapts (thinking what happening with the music industry in the last ten years).

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I didn't know that could be done. However, since Keep can get a little more complex, I am wondering how well the voice interaction would work. Say when adding a link, or a checklist.

I rarely use voice interaction with my phone. I'm sure I am not the only one, and that is another facet to why apps won't go away any time soon.

Indeed, more work needs to be done for sure; but with Google Assistant adopting more app integration, I believe that it is a matter of time before these things take place. Instead of physically sharing a link to Keep, a voice command would manage the same task.

But yes indeed, more work needs to be done before that comes to fruition.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree, Madam Butterfly (or is it a really pretty moth?:p ), mostly; but I question whether users dictate advances in technology or does new technology come out and the user adapts (thinking what happening with the music industry in the last ten years).

That's interesting - the variables could very well be reversed. Either is possible.

And that's a Butterfree in my picture - a Pokémon!

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I guess I would have said the same thing until I started using Google home. Now I talk to it all the time. Lights, shopping list, music, controlling my tv, etc. all done with my home device. I am now waiting for more of these functionalities to hit my phone. I like opening my fridge and saying hey google add grapes to my shopping list. When I get to my store I open keep and there is the list.

I can't wait for home and phone to work more seamlessly. I find I am interacting with my phone through voice commands more than before.

Exactly! Google Home is a great example. That type of engagement with technology says to me that an app is just an icon on the phone. If I can currently use Google Assistant to open the Uber app on my phone, then I don't necessarily need an icon. Natural progression would dictate that I can just command a ride as the next step.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think there will be a some apps that go extinct, mostly because they were really just front ends to online services that the V-Assts can just as easily use themselves... like reservation apps, whether they be food, cabs, etc. I would say that if you go on Google.com and can find a function that your app replicates, I would certainly try to find a new business model (like getting an agreement with Google that GA will use your service to order artisinal cheese rather than your competition).

And any app that has some overlap, well, they better make sure they offer such a compelling service that people will still want to go through installing and using your app.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
My first thought about this topic is a public setting where many are talking to their device trying to get it to perform a function....

Exactly this.. I talk to my home device and my phone when I am alone or in a quiet setting. We all know that some TV reporter used Alexa to order doll houses for hundreds of people. But we are just now learning and in time things will change.

Srinath Rajaram

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
The other dimension that I worry about in a public setting is how stupid I look talking to a phone! :). Holding a phone in front of me and speaking carefully into it is how I use 'ok google'. My accent is a little harder to discern. I see something like the airpods making it socially easier (people cannot make out if I am talking to someone else or the phone itself!).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
well... the voice response thing is a different sort of concept here... That is just one part of the interface to get to those services, one your don't need (nor do I really use to be honest).

But there's a ton of stuff that the Google app will do based on your search criteria... movie times, flight info, etc. That's the core of what is going on. As Google beefs up those internal functions, they start to make the need for certain apps obsolete. Though, if those companies were smart, they would open their services up to Google's APIs... like OpenTable and Uber have done.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Now I talk to it all the time.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying it isn't a good thing that there is voice integration. That feature alone can help people with disabilities enjoy the same devices we do. I personally don't mind the feature, it's not a gimmick, unlike the 'Smart' features Samsung has had in the past.

Maybe if I got a Home myself, I might change my opinion.

Back to the original topic, I kind of see where LeoRex is going: some apps might be rendered obsolete, but I think there will be some that just won't go away.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
well... the voice response thing is a different sort of concept here... That is just one part of the interface to get to those services, one your don't need (nor do I really use to be honest).

But there's a ton of stuff that the Google app will do based on your search criteria... movie times, flight info, etc. That's the core of what is going on. As Google beefs up those internal functions, they start to make the need for certain apps obsolete. Though, if those companies were smart, they would open their services up to Google's APIs... like OpenTable and Uber have done.
I agree with you. I already get updates from Google, since it's learnt my interests.

I also get alerts about traffic problems when I'm driving, even if I don't have Google maps open.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith