Android smartphone as main computing/browsing

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else use their Android smartphone as their main web browser or for everyday tasks that they used to use their computers for? I'm starting to find less reasons to pull out my laptop everyday. I use my phone for every thing. I was thinking about getting a Chromebook, but I was worried that I wouldn't use it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I would say I use it close to the same amount of time. I find myself grabbing the phone while at home because it's easier to move around as opposed to moving the laptop.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I use it in place of a computer. I don't own one. The only thing I need a computer for is to load .gpx files onto my GPS.

I'm thinking of getting a Bluetooth printer for my Android.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
No, my phone hasn't replaced my computer. It hasn't come close to replacing my computer. I still prefer my monitor's nice big screen, I prefer a keyboard and mouse over a touch screen, and until an Android device can play Fallout 3 on the highest possible graphical setting my phone will never replace my computer for gaming.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't use our desktop or laptop at all anymore. Especially now that I have our entire music library uploaded to Google Music, I use my phone for everything. I suppose I will when I am ripping a new CD onto the hard drive so it can be uploaded to the Google server, but it hasn't happed yet.

By the time our laptop boots up, I could have already found what I am looking for on my phone.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a desktop at work, at home, a laptop at home, a tablet at home, and a smartphone. Ranking them in order of usage:

1. Work desktop
2. Home tablet (Xoom)
3. Smartphone (Atrix)
4. Home desktop
5. Home laptop

Prior to getting the tablet, the home desktop would've been number 2. Why would I prefer to use a 4" screen when I can use a 24" screen? I use my smartphone only when I have to.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a desktop at work, at home, a laptop at home, a tablet at home, and a smartphone. Ranking them in order of usage:

1. Work desktop
2. Home tablet (Xoom)
3. Smartphone (Atrix)
4. Home desktop
5. Home laptop

Prior to getting the tablet, the home desktop would've been number 2. Why would I prefer to use a 4" screen when I can use a 24" screen? I use my smartphone only when I have to.[/QUOTE

Wow, you have a lot of gadgets. I only use my work laptop to check email, which I really don't need to do. All of my web browsing needs can be done through my phone. Plus, I prefer mobile sites to full ones.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

1. Work desktop
2. Home tablet (Xoom)
3. Smartphone (Atrix)
4. Home desktop
5. Home laptop

Prior to getting the tablet, the home desktop would've been number 2. Why would I prefer to use a 4" screen when I can use a 24" screen? I use my smartphone only when I have to.

I don't have a tablet (I guess I just don't see the point of tablets, my phone does all my mobile computing and does it well. I don't want or need another device) but I agree with your point. Why would I restrict myself to my phone's 3.7 inch screen when I have a nice 19 inch monitor?

Sent from my HTC Droid Nexus with Tapatalk.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Too much Photoshop and design work for me to give up my computer (also some recreational gaming). I do probably 50-60% of my browsing on my phone though. At one point I really, really wanted an Android tablet (heck, I still want one) but I realized that for me right now it was just a "want" thing. What I really need as a third device is a mobile productivity device, which is why I'm opting for a Chromebook with 3G built in.

My wish list does still include a tablet and an Android PMP (mostly as a way to entertain my daughter on long car trips), but for now economics and practical need dictates

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
My whole household has android devices. I need a new computer and haven't been in a major rush to get one. We use our phones for everything. I love it. They're mini laptops. I love my Sidekick 4G! :)

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have also realized that I am almost as fast and accurate texting on my phone than I am typing on my keyboard. This is yet another reason why I am comfortable using my phone as my main computing device. Plus I always have it with me and all of my Google services are integrated into just about everything.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
At one point I really, really wanted an Android tablet (heck, I still want one) but I realized that for me right now it was just a "want" thing.

I'm on the same boat as you. Getting a tablet for me is a want thing as opposed to a need. Granted, most people buy it for the same reason, I would find myself using it for the first few weeks then going back to my regular routine like I did when I purchased an iPad for the wife.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Tablets don't yet offer anything that can't be done better by other devices, but I like having one so I don't have to go to my desktop every time I want to read something or look something up. Granted, lots of people simply use their smartphones for this, but a tablet offers much more screen real estate.

I find myself using my tablet daily, but I still prefer the speed and stability of a hardwired network, the processing power of a full-on PC, and the tactile feedback and precision input of a keyboard and mouse. Call me old-fashioned, but desktops still rule for me. Plus, the screen never gets smudged!

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I still prefer using my desktop for browsing. My smartphone only replaced my laptop for mobile computing. If I need to walk somewhere or I'm out and about, my smartphone is what I use. If I'm home, nothing can replace this monitor, keyboard and mouse.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I was using my Droid X for 90% of my computing needs until a week ago when I bought an Acer Iconia Tab. Now I'm using that alot. The phone is nice for 1 handed use and since I have small children I'm often needing that free hand.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I still prefer using my desktop for browsing. My smartphone only replaced my laptop for mobile computing. If I need to walk somewhere or I'm out and about, my smartphone is what I use. If I'm home, nothing can replace this monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Exactly. Having multiple browsers open is convenient for me. Depending on where I am in the house I will still use my phone over the laptop only because I have a 14 month old and I'm constantly moving after her when Mom is doing errands.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If I am doing serious work, I use my desktop or laptop depending where I am. But If I am communicating with any of my clients I use whatever device is close to me, may it be my desktop (laptop), phone and tablet. However if I am just browsing or conducting research, I use my tablet.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I paid all my bills from my phone. I could easily suffice on a android browser alone. I have a slick Asus gaming PC with a HDTV by samsung for a monitor plugged into a pro logic surround sound.... Yeah, android is gold, but not platinum lol!