Would it be foolish to sell my MacBook Pro for a Chromebook Pixel?

officially_juju

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had interest in the ChromeBook Pixel for some time now but currently own a 2013 MacBook Pro. I use my laptop primarily for web browsing and streaming media content. The MacBook works fine but does get sluggish and I recently factory reset the machine to speed it up.
Anyways... has anyone transitioned over? Is it worth the switch or are Chromebooks not there yet? Thanks!

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I sold my macbook and bought an asus chromebook. I sold my macbook because I didn't need that much power to just surf. So I picked up the chromebook and had money to spare. I love my chromebook.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
My MacBook Pro is on its last legs but rather than upgrade or replace it I bought a refurbished Acer Chromebook 15 for $300. I now use the MBP for one app, maybe every other week. Will rethink it all when Apple does a redesign, but for now am as happy as can be about it.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had interest in the ChromeBook Pixel for some time now but currently own a 2013 MacBook Pro. I use my laptop primarily for web browsing and streaming media content. The MacBook works fine but does get sluggish and I recently factory reset the machine to speed it up.
Anyways... has anyone transitioned over? Is it worth the switch or are Chromebooks not there yet? Thanks!

For your use needs, I think a chromebook would work for you.

If you have the money for a Pixel 2, by all means get one, but I wouldn't rule out some of the lower cost (<$500), mid-range chromebooks like the Dell Chromebook 13 (which I'm using to type this message right now) that have IPS panels, 1920 x 1080 resolution, and back-lit keyboards. (The Dell also has really good battery life.) Besides the Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015 model), which is similar to the Dell but has lower build quality, I'm not as familiar with the other mid-range chromebooks that were released in the first half of 2016 because the Dell Chromebook 13 really has hit the sweet spot I'm looking for. However, I'm pretty sure some other very good quality models have been released over the last 6 months that like the Dell 13 and Toshiba 2 (2015) would be viable, cheaper alternatives to the Pixel 2 and probably would be an improvement speed-wise over your 2013 MacBook Pro.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a Macbook Air (I know, not the exact same) and just bought a Acer Chromebook C740 for $163 - mainly for travel, but I also find myself using it about 90% of the time. While I could probably do completely without my Macbook, its still nice to have for movie editing,etc, or if I need to run Windows via Bootcamp.

Honestly, I would recommend picking up a cheap Chromebook to try if you haven't used one daily and give it a shot before investing in the Pixel. While the Pixel is a super nice Chromebook, most of the cheaper ones are much more capable than the specs would lead you to believe. Just make sure to get 4GB or RAM with whatever you buy.

officially_juju

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
So I decided instead of shelling out for a Pixel I would try the HP Chromebook 15. I love it! Especially with the new update allowing me to install Android apps it is everything I wanted! Love!

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
at this point anything is better than what apple is doing. I was already to toss out for a new MBP but after what they released...I went to dell....got 2 new laptops that are better than the new MBP for the price of one air. Apple is falling behind. Touchscreen is the present and future, not some chinsy touchbar junk.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a Macbook Air (I know, not the exact same) and just bought a Acer Chromebook C740 for $163 - mainly for travel, but I also find myself using it about 90% of the time. While I could probably do completely without my Macbook, its still nice to have for movie editing,etc, or if I need to run Windows via Bootcamp.

Honestly, I would recommend picking up a cheap Chromebook to try if you haven't used one daily and give it a shot before investing in the Pixel. While the Pixel is a super nice Chromebook, most of the cheaper ones are much more capable than the specs would lead you to believe. Just make sure to get 4GB or RAM with whatever you buy.

My daughter has a Windows laptop but I bought her a Lenovo C330 and so far she is quite impressed. I agree with Richard. Get an inexpensive Chromebook and keep the Apple for fall back. I still have a windows desktop that I used every two or three weeks. It will go before May.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95