Do you leave your Chromecast "ON" or plugged in 24/7?

Daman Q

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I originally had mine plugged straight into my receiver and the heat was very noticeable. Once i added the HDMI extender that came with it the heat dropped considerably. Maybe give that a try...

Bill Newman1

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
That damn light is too bright. Lights up the bedroom. I covered it up with electrical tape. I do this for all the stupid devices that insist on having a light when in the Off position.
LOL....SO bright. Finding electrical tape as we speak.

Same here. I originally had mine plugged straight into my receiver and the heat was very noticeable. Once i added the HDMI extender that came with it the heat dropped considerably. Maybe give that a try...
Agreed. Mine got hotter than my OCed GNex ever got, like it was in the car in Texas heat all day hot. Extender does help a bit, longer distance so more resistance???

Cool! Thanks Phil!

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I have mine plugged into my Onkyo receiver with the extender and didn't think it was too hot but will check more since it is in the back of a cabinet. It is powered from the receiver USB and does stay on when the receiver is off/standby.
I find it interesting that some find that the extender seems to make it cooler. I would suspect that this is due to a) more air flow farther from the device plugged into or b) the device plugged into is dissipating a good bit of heat and plugging directly in absorbs some of that.

Bill Newman1

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have mine plugged into my Onkyo receiver with the extender and didn't think it was too hot but will check more since it is in the back of a cabinet. It is powered from the receiver USB and does stay on when the receiver is off/standby.
I find it interesting that some find that the extender seems to make it cooler. I would suspect that this is due to a) more air flow farther from the device plugged into or b) the device plugged into is dissipating a good bit of heat and plugging directly in absorbs some of that.
That's a good point too, it was much cooler on the 46" LED Samsung where the HDMI slots were further towards the edge of the TV. The Vizio has the slots right in the middle of all the hardware.

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
"1st" had my Chromecast plugged into the back of my tv(HDMI &USB)....BUT.... Then lose the function of being able to turn ON YOUR TV Via the ChromeCast, cuz theres no power running to the tv's usb port when the tv is off. So after my first week of using it, i switched to using the wall plug that comes with the ChromeCast and have not had one problem.

alertren

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have one of those power strips that's supposed to cut down on phantom power drain from devices. My AV Receiver is the master port and shuts off all my other devices when it's in sleep mode. One of those devices is the xbox360 which I was pleased to find had usb ports that provided enough power to power the Chromecast while it was sleeping. So my Chromecast is powered off for most of the day, but when I get home I tend to power on my receiver so the Chromecast is on. Having it powered by the xbox really helps when using the hdmi-cec functions of it.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, now that we've had this conversation on whether leaving it on is a good thing, my wife decided that since we're going out of town, she would like that whole power strip turned off (which we've never done before). I asked why and she "doesn't want the house lit up by that thing all weekend".

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine is plugged into the wall. The benefit to me is that I don't even have to turn on the TV. When I want to listen to music, I can start up the chromecast from any room in the house, and the TV automatically turns on and switches to the correct input

It won't do this for me sadly.. Got a new 60' LG plasma. Doesn't bother me much though.. It just didn't want to fire up my TV.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

culmor30

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
It won't do this for me sadly.. Got a new 60' LG plasma. Doesn't bother me much though.. It just didn't want to fire up my TV.
I had to enable this in my TV's settings panel. Try looking through there for an option; you have to tell the TV to let HDMI peripherals turn it on, otherwise it won't let them.

cammykool

Resident *****
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
my TV is too old to do CEC but i cant leave my CC on 24/7 or else it looses connection from my router and i cant cast to it and the only fix is to reboot the router. so i unplug it when im not home

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I leave it unplugged and plug it in when I want to use it. I also use the TV's USB port, so I have to turn on the TV to use the Cast. I don't like leaving things on, even if it isn't much power. Perhaps I have missed getting the two OTA updates, but they didn't add much anyway.

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I have mine plugged into the back of my A/V receiver and it is powered by the wall plugin. Because it would be inconvenient to unplug either the power or the Chromecast itself frequently, I have left it plugged in since day 1. I haven't noticed any problems or lack of connection yet.

itamarb

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine is plugged into the wall. The benefit to me is that I don't even have to turn on the TV. When I want to listen to music, I can start up the chromecast from any room in the house, and the TV automatically turns on and switches to the correct input

Thanks for the great tip... the only problem is that my TV turns on, but won't switch to the correct HDMI input... any ideas?

Airbander

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Just got my Chromcast and i love it and like this post because i had questions about the power on and so on
Great info and tips

Thanks guys !

abeljr

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine plugged into the tv usb for about a month. Now I am having issues connecting with google cast. I have been talking to support..may be a heat issue..it was never off for 1 whole month..got extremely hot. dunno..anyone else with these issues? I have 2, may return this one to best buy.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any problems with mine. I don't use it that much but when I do it is usually a couple hours for a movie or music. Mine is in the back of a cabinet behind my receiver, so plenty of heat in there when in use.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app