Pixel 7 Pro or something else?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm annoyed to even write a post like this that is asking for a million different opinions but in what little free time my brain has I've been trying to settle between which unreleased phone will be my next purchase.

I'm a reformed hardcore android geek that used to spend countless hours surfing XDA. I always rooted and ROMed everything and eventually a wife and kids put an end to the free time I had dedicated to tinkering. I've pretty much always had a Nexus or Pixel device sans the OG Galaxy S and a Moto X later on, which was my first step into just leaving a device alone.

I had a Pixel 5 that I fried in the ocean (and that's a different story entirely). Luckily I have my old Pixel 2 that I'm asking to pull more weight than it should but I've spent the past year purposefully NOT paying attention to the P6P or Tensor because what was the point when I'm in a space where I want to ride a device for at least 3 years?

Now that I'm reading I'm kind of appalled at the level of bugs in these Tensor powered devices. I know its not all of them and probably not even a majority of them but I'm still surprised. I want to be hopeful for Tensor 2 but I have reservations about certain pieces of Samsung hardware (like modems) that have always seemed to suck compared to qualcomm counterparts.

I'm very Googley. It's sickening. I've taken the lazy route. I have Google homes, Google Wi-Fi, Google hubs, Chromecast with Android TV (awful name) as examples all of which don't seem to be as seamless as they once were. It's like Google is slipping. But there are certain things that I've always taken for granted that I think would be hard for me to let go of that Google nails like Always Listening, call screen/spam detection and hold features.

So I sit and compare the P6P to the S22 Ultra and keep thinking about a P7P or an S23 Ultra. I want the best of Google but I also need other stuff like solid reception and battery life that lasts longer than my Pixel 2, and I feel like the 6 line is a garbage on battery as my old Pixel 2.

I care about good photos and video, especially with kids. I don't care about gaming (retro bowl is as intense as I get) and with a new iPhone 13 Mini in my pocket as a work phone I can say, yeah, that's nice hardware but not compelling to me. Benchmarks don't tell a whole story. Give me security updates over benchmark apps.

Truthfully, if it weren't for 60Hz on this Pixel 2 I'd keep it if it got security updates. I miss the 5, which was almost perfect for me most of the time. So why am I sitting here rambling about which $1100-$1400 phone to save up for?

I'm at a place where while I've always taken the midrange in some form or fashion, even though I don't HAVE to anymore. Saving up an extra grand and change over a 2-3 year period for phone replacements is what we do around here. It's just a line item on our budget. I've just always taken a step back and saved some cash with a Pixel in my hand. Is it time to step away?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can understand your reservations about Tensor. That's why I skipped the Pixel 6 line and went for the 5, to see how the 6 line and Tensor performed. I am hopeful for the Pixel 7 and still see myself getting one either at launch or when I can.

It's definitely a hard choice -- and like you, I was a little surprised that there are some Samsung components within the Pixel 7. I was also looking at the S22 but I need the image stabilization that the Pixel line offers, especially with the processing of animal fur.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's always difficult to wade through the chaff of online reviews and opinions, because the loudest negative opinions always seem to drown out the positive. All I can say is that my Pixel 6 Pro has been a champ since I bought it, with excellent battery life (far superior to my previous Pixel 3 XL), and reception has never been any more of an issue than it was with any previous phone (this is in the setting of a workplace with areas of godawful reception and crappy overall wi-fi).

Battery does drain somewhat faster if 5G is turned on (with battery ending the day at around 40-50%, vs. 50-60% on 4G only), but 5G in my area still sucks, so I have no reason to keep that turned on (and 4G is still plenty fast for my use).

It's been so long since I used another phone brand, but I'd have to guess that I would sorely miss the Pixel Camera and many of those Pixel exclusive features that you already mentioned (especially Call Screen and spam message filtering).

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it's always difficult to wade through the chaff of online reviews and opinions, because the loudest negative opinions always seem to drown out the positive. All I can say is that my Pixel 6 Pro has been a champ since I bought it, with excellent battery life (far superior to my previous Pixel 3 XL), and reception has never been any more of an issue than it was with any previous phone (this is in the setting of a workplace with areas of godawful reception and crappy overall wi-fi).

Battery does drain somewhat faster if 5G is turned on (with battery ending the day at around 40-50%, vs. 50-60% on 4G only), but 5G in my area still sucks, so I have no reason to keep that turned on (and 4G is still plenty fast for my use).

It's been so long since I used another phone brand, but I'd have to guess that I would sorely miss the Pixel Camera and many of those Pixel exclusive features that you already mentioned (especially Call Screen and spam message filtering).

Your experience seems to echo my general experience with Pixel devices. A buddy of mine has a Pixel 6 and we both tend to fall into the same camp of, "high end is unnecessary for 99% of use cases" and I know his experience with the 6 has been solid. I'll just never forget my reception and GPS issues with my Galaxy Nexus. I remember taking that phone apart and modifying the antenna contacts to get it to almost play right. I have a love hate relationship with Samsung and that phone was the last Samsung phone I owned. I really want to go the Tensor route, but I need solid battery life and reception. Basically, I could stretch my Pixel 5 across 2 days and that's kind of my standard now. I want to be able to walk away from the device and come back 6 or 7 hours later and NOT see where I've lost 20%.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If I leave my phone off the charger overnight, it loses about 4-5% of battery over the span of about 7 hours.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I love that my Pixel 5 will stop and decline spam calls without my phone even ringing. Such a wonderful feature! I know my S10 did similar I'd often get those "red" incoming phone call alerts.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I'll never be without a pixel again for the reasons you listed B.... and neither will my wife. I'll try other phones that catch my interest, but they'll never replace my pixels, just supplement them :p

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Man, I flop all over the place with this stuff. It's like the whole battery thing. My Pixel 2 drains 5% overnight (with battery saver on) which I think is fine considering the age and small battery, but I'm annoyed to hear that the P6P doesn't do a better job (I would take my P5 off the charger at 100%, throw extreme battery saver on and wake up at 98%-100%).

But now I look at Amazon and see the 128GB P6P for $615 (through today) and I'm extremely tempted despite it signaling that the 7 series is right around the corner and it being half the storage I want. Then I flip over to the S22 Ultra and get tempted there too. I don't know why I even look at it all. Every time I think about Samsung and then I just go right back to the warm, familiar embrace of the Pixel. I think I have reasonable expectations from my devices, so I'm not quite sure what my hangup is this time around.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My Pixel 5 rarely budged. I miss that phone. The Pixel 2 was great in its day but using this thing is first world problem painful.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Man, I flop all over the place with this stuff. It's like the whole battery thing. My Pixel 2 drains 5% overnight (with battery saver on) which I think is fine considering the age and small battery, but I'm annoyed to hear that the P6P doesn't do a better job (I would take my P5 off the charger at 100%, throw extreme battery saver on and wake up at 98%-100%).

But now I look at Amazon and see the 128GB P6P for $615 (through today) and I'm extremely tempted despite it signaling that the 7 series is right around the corner and it being half the storage I want. Then I flip over to the S22 Ultra and get tempted there too. I don't know why I even look at it all. Every time I think about Samsung and then I just go right back to the warm, familiar embrace of the Pixel. I think I have reasonable expectations from my devices, so I'm not quite sure what my hangup is this time around.

It sounds like the pixels do what you need and you enjoy using them, what would the S22U actually do any better or different than the 6 Pro? Or the 7 Pro when it comes out? Are you just bored and want something different? Or are there actual features on the Ultra you're looking for? From the forums here it seems the batteries are a wash, and in the area's of call screening/vvm transcription/assistant/camera and the general cohesiveness of the software you know what you're getting with a pixel.

I'm a huge pixel fan, but that's because I know what I'm getting consistently, and the software experience means more to me than the hardware. I have a Flip 3 that's pretty much new, but even though the folding trick is cool.. I don't like it. So I picked up a 6 Pro on the same sale your looking at, But at Best Buy because I don't do Amazon anymore. Best decision I've ever made :D

You have to get what's really going to work for you, and when you figure that out the decision becomes easy :p

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think for me it's the perception of value with build quality, software support/security patches, etc. I also always want "more" out of my cameras/video recording.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter