My Chromecast died...

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
My Chromecast died after just a few days of use. Actually, I'm not sure it ever worked right. After reading all about how easy it was to setup, I scratched my head because it seemingly took forever for me to set it up. Being technically proficient, I thought either it wasn't as easy to setup as I hoped, or perhaps I was losing my edge! LOL. Ultimately, I discovered that my reset button is sticking... and it's even described as a possible problem in the troubleshooting document:

https://support.google.com/chromeca...36?hl=en&ref_topic=2994245#ts=3090411,3222434

In particular, this is exactly what is happening on my Chromecast, as described in the document:

"If you see a black screen or just a few colored dots when you power on the Chromecast, the reset button may be stuck. The reset button is the only button on the Chromecast itself. In this case, try unplugging power from the Chromecast and pressing the reset button a few times to unstick it. Once the reset button is working, you should feel it click in when you press it and bounce back when you release it. Once the reset button is loose, set up the Chromecast as normal: plug it into the TV's HDMI port and connect the power cable."

As a matter of fact, the first time I turned my Chromecast on, I saw those "colored dots" on the screen and wondered what the heck they were. I eventually got it setup somehow, only to have to continually factory resetting all by itself and then going black. The screen goes black and the light turns red, and from that moment I can't do anything except unplug it from power and go through the whole process again.

I did at one point get it working for a while and was able to stream some content... and I really like it! But I've come to the conclusion that my reset button is sticking. I've tried pressing it a bunch of times to hopefully wiggle it free, but it does not seem to budge. There is no bounce-back when pressing the button, which leads me to believe it is stuck impressed.

Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else experiences the same thing. I called Google Support and was pleasantly surprised by the call. Of course, there's nothing they could do to fix it, so they are sending me a new one in advance before returning my old one, which is nice. I have to wait a day or two for an e-mail that will let me know when it will be arriving. I'm hoping it won't take too long since they are out of stock everywhere, though usually companies allocate a certain amount for replacements like this, I would think.

Can anyone confirm whether their reset button has an obvious "click" in and out when you press it? Mine has very little (if any) movement when I press it, and it's hard to tell if I'm even causing it to work.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, my Chromecast died, but it has nothing to do with the reset button.

I got mine from Amazon on Friday evening. Hooked it up and everything went fine. Been watching Netflix and YouTube videos all weekend. Then this morning, it just died. I unplugged the dongle, waited 60 seconds, nothing. Tried holding the reset button for 30 seconds, got the unit to blink...nothing. Tried it on different TV's, nothing. My network is up. No issues with internet access.

Called Google Play support and talked to "Debbie." She had me go through a few steps. Still nothing. She took my name, email address and phone number and said someone would get back to me within 48 hours.

I know this is new technology and I'm willing to put up with some inconveniences, but for the device to last less than 72 hours is a real disappointment.

Will see what happens....

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
One of mine was bad from the start it looks like. I was able to get it setup on wifi and then it just started rebooting itself. It also won't let me do a factory reset on it as holding the reset button does nothing for me. The basic behavior after disconnecting power for a few minutes is it starts saying its "Starting Chromecast" then restarts showing the same message. it does this a few times before ending up with the gray exclamation point on the screen. After a few minutes the process starts again. I have only been able to get to the cast setup screen once since the initial setup and it rebooted again before I could do anything.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: Well, I finally got an e-mail with a link to ordering a replacement for my broken Chromecast. Apparently, you still use your credit card to place an order for a replacement - they just put a "hold" on it in case you don't return your broken one. I'm supposed to return my broken one within so many days. However, the order status for the new one says it ships in 3-5 weeks, so it looks like I'll have to ship my old one back before the new one arrives (which is fine since it isn't working at all anyway). I hope I don't have to wait that long for the replacement! I would have thought they'd allocate a certain number for replacements... we'll see.

bloo0153

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with mine when trying to perform the setup. Sometimes I would just get the black screen with colored dots. Other times I would get the setup screen providing a PIN but it would disappear after 5-10 seconds. It seemed like the Chromecast wouldn't stay powered on so I tried the USB power adapter from my Nexus 7 and what do you know it worked fine. I completed the setup and haven't had an issue since. I contacted Google about a replacement part via email. After a few days they replied back with an apology...overwhelming demand...delays...please contact us by phone. Rather than waste my time in Support hell I'll just keep using my Nexus 7 power supply.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I got my replacement and now all is well. On my defective unit, I had tried both USB and AC power, neither of which worked. This new one is working perfectly so far.

ejtsang

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Hope your replacement device works out for you. I'm in a similar boat. Just submitted my order for replacing my defective unit. It says it will ship in 2-3 weeks. It looks like you got yours in just about a week...is that right? It would be a nice surprise if mine comes in the mail a week earlier than expected!

ARTbyTROY

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same problems with my Chromecast and props to bloo0153 because he nailed it in his post, I ditched the provided Chromecast USB cable and used the USB cable from my old Droid X phone and everything works fine. Glad not to have to send mine back now.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Hope your replacement device works out for you. I'm in a similar boat. Just submitted my order for replacing my defective unit. It says it will ship in 2-3 weeks. It looks like you got yours in just about a week...is that right? It would be a nice surprise if mine comes in the mail a week earlier than expected!

Yep, it was about a week turn around. The new one has still been working perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to wait the 3-4 weeks that the replacement order status showed me when I checked it. So they apparently do have units set aside for replacements.

BradleyF81

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
bloo0153's suggestion worked for me. Just saved me having to do a return, though I'm still hot that Google send me a cheap USB cable that doesn't work.

Thanks, man.

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
bloo0153's fix worked for me as well. I bought it on day one so I have had it for a while. I suddenly had a black screen after using my Chromecast with no issues. Tried to reset it. Got the home screen for few seconds then black again. Swapped out the micro USB cable and it fired right up.

jpullen69

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem and it took me a while to work out what was wrong.

Basically if the chromecast wasn't plugged in, it would stay on with a blinking white light. However plug it in and after 15 seconds it performed a factory reset, followed by coloured dots and black screen with solid red light on device. Unplug, reset and back to blinking light. Plug back in and it resets, black screen, red light. Repeat until ready to throw through a window!

I finally sussed it when I tried to reset it whilst the device was plugged in and found that the button wouldn't depress. Unplug it and it fine, plug it back in and no movement in button again.

What's happening is that the circuit board is moving a fraction of an inch as it is plugged in within the casing- enough for it to depress the internal switch against the outer button. Solution is easy - plug it in then pull on it a little to move the casing outwards, but leaving the HDMI plug in place.

Working fine ever since. At some point I'll probably open the case and fix it properly.

Evinz D

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
hey I wanted to say thanks for your post.....I bought a CC today and had all types of setup issues. I came accross your post and it described my issues exactly. I applied your remedy and what do you know....success

thanks