Stream Media Files From NAS Servers

qortuba

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have WD HD (2TB) connected to my home wireless network, is there a way to stream my media content to watch them on Chromecast ?

I have it connected to Apple TV using ATV Flash (Infuse).

I know there is a way by using google chrome browser extension, im looking to stream it directly from NAS server without using a laptop.

Thank you

Last edited:

CrewF24

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
If your setup allows for web access to the drive, and you are able to play the file in the browser window, then you should be able to cast it. I just got mine last night and have not been able to test my setup, but I have a a Buffalo 3TB NAS which I have enabled webaccess on. I can log into my NAS through chrome and open a .m4v file and it will play in my browser window. In theory, I should be able to just hit the cast extension button and it will play on the TV. I will report back tonight.

qortuba

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Try if u can cast it without the need of the laptop later.

I want a way to cast without the use of the laptop later

Posted via Android Central App

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2TB HDD connected to my router. I can play anything from it in a Chrome tab on my laptop (excluding .mkv) and cast it to my TV with no problem.

qortuba

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
but u have to keep the laptop open so that u can watch most of the media on your router, what if i want to close my laptop after i cast the media or the movie ? will it still be working ?