Chrome mobile android now has cast tab for some videos (not beta)

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure a lot of you already know this, but I just learned this and haven't seen much about this online. The latest update of chrome that happened last week or so added a cast tab to android mobile for some videos. I'm not talking about new chromecast apps, I mean videos that are posted on websites. I'm not talking the beta version, I mean regular chrome.

So far I have tried vice.com and and nhl.com and both worked great.. Its funny because I was on vice.com last night on my nexus 7 and was surprised when I saw a cast tab pop up in the corner of the video. I clicked it and it worked, I thought it might have been a video reposted from youtube but now I know why, haha.

I'm so happy, I've been waiting for this for a long time. Its funny I finally broke down and downloaded chrome beta earlier today to experiment with it only to find out it was just added to regular chrome, haha.

I'm going to experiment with other websites and see what else works. I will post my findings here. Feel free to contribute your findings as well.

Its funny, Ive wanted this for a long time but I'm so used to only being able to cast youtube and netflix I'm drawing a blank on other websites that I've wanted to cast videos from, haha.

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
websites I have found so far that work with chrome mobile cast tab. According to what I've read online only "some" websites will support it. (whatever that means)

vice.com (interesting weird documentaries) I assume all of their related sites would support it as well.
nhl.com
ufc.com

I tried a bunch of other websites, but their videos don't seem to play at all, not even just on my tablet. Is it because they use flash? Would installing and then uninstalling chrome beta when I have normal chrome installed cause a problem?

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Its HTML5 Video only that is supported. Nice feature though.

On a sort of related note the Photos component of the G+ app has recently acquired Chromecast support as-well for slide-showing all your G+ Albums. Annoyed that I bought Dayframe now.

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Unsolicited suggestion to any chromecast users that see this: check out an app called cast store. Its an app that shows all the apps available for chromecast as they come out. When you go to the google play store and click on the link to chromecast apps it forwards you to a website that only shows about 15-20 of the major apps, but there is a lot more available than that.

With google releasing the sdk I was hoping there would be an explosion of new apps, theres new ones coming out all the time, but I'd still like more. I guess I;m just being impatient, it was only released a few months ago.