No longer able to use Google Keep for shopping list on 4/10

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey you guys see this yet? It appears that on April 10th, you will not be able to use the Shopping list on Google Keep to sync anymore.

https://9to5google.com/2017/04/08/google-assistant-shopping-list-keep-move/

I like that feature and wish they would keep it. They should at least give people the choice.

Even though I have 2 Google Homes, I recently bought an Echo Dot to try out. I figure $50 wasn't bad to play around with another toy.

Anyway, I think I'll end up using Alexa now for lists, reminders, calendar and home control and just relegate Google Home for music.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It'll still work but it's moving to assistant instead of Keep. That'll make it accessible from Google home or via any Android phone running 6.0 or higher.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It'll still work but it's moving to assistant instead of Keep. That'll make it accessible from Google home or via any Android phone running 6.0 or higher.

It's moving into their Express shopping app. Which I don't have any reason to use. I am not going to order toilet paper or soap, or whatever like that online that I get at the grocery store.

So instead of Google programming in ways to access other lists in Keep, they just stop it all together. A bunch of crap if you ask me.

Plus I use an iPhone. I like Google keep for my shopping list integrated with Home, plus I like the widget.

Lucky I bought the Echo Dot. Like I said, for me at least, Google Home has been turning more into just a music player since I got the Dot.

Google like Apple, seems like they don't want to give you choices, it's just their way or the highway.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I can't see it being long before we have Keep integration, they seem to be putting a lot into it.

For shopping lists, I'd prefer Bring support though

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

You forgot to say - any Android phone running 6.0 or higher AND connected to mobile data or WiFi.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
So will I not be able to access my list if I cannot access data on my phone at the grocery store? Right now list has my items and I can access it offline. My grocery store seems to block data once I walk in the door. I wont use their free wifi

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So will I not be able to access my list if I cannot access data on my phone at the grocery store? Right now list has my items and I can access it offline. My grocery store seems to block data once I walk in the door. I wont use their free wifi

Google Express can be opened through Chrome and the page can be saved for offline viewing in that particular case.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Google Express can be opened through Chrome and the page can be saved for offline viewing in that particular case.

So rather than just open the app I have to go and open this Express in chrome and save it to my phone? I do not use chrome on my phone.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
So rather than just open the app I have to go and open this Express in chrome and save it to my phone? I do not use chrome on my phone.

I'll probably go back to using a pen and post-it note when I go shopping.
Dictating lists or reminders would be a great use for the GH. Maybe it will happen when separate accounts are allowed.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I contacted Google about not being able to access the list when there is no internet access, mobile data or wifi, and their response is to take a screen shot of the list and use that.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
does it work with Google Home?

Yup… "Hey Google, tell our groceries to add whiskey to Safeway"

In this case 'Safeway' is one of my shopping lists. You can also set any list to be the default. I made Safeway my default so I just say "Hey Google, tell our groceries to add whiskey", and it responds that it added it to Safeway.

You can set up categories and order them any way that you want (I order them based on aisles in the grocery store). Once you assign a category for an item, it remembers it going forward so if you add it again the category is automatically assigned.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Lame.

I hate that I get kicked out to the web when I want to manage my list. I just use a simple checklist, so having it in Keep was perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty