Is it possible to use a local-only calendar on Pixel 6 Pro (i.e., no google account)

thehelpdeskguy

Mar 30, 2022
Visit site
I have a Pixel 6 Pro which has no google account associated with it. I have been able to sideload SMS Backup & Restore (for call and message backups) and MyLocalAccount (for contacts). I do not want to give Google any access to my calendar (or any other data).

How do I set up a local-only calendar app? I tried to use the free version of DigiCal, but it will not run. The error message is "No calendars found Please make sure there is at least one writable calendar enabled in the calendars screen."

Should I use a different free app? Is rooting the phone necessary to accomplish this?

Thank you (in advance) to anyone who can shed some light on this issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Google Calendar does not have an option to add events to a local Phone account calendar on Pixels. You could always turn off the Google Calendar sync toggle in the Settings>Passwords & Accounts menu -- select your Google account there (under Accounts, not Passwords), then tap Account Sync, and then turn off the Google Calendar toggle.

thehelpdeskguy

Mar 30, 2022
Visit site
To anyone looking at this thread:

I have determined how to accomplish this.

(1) Get the DigiCal app (free version) loaded onto the phone. In my case, to avoid the Google Play Store, find a trustworthy website from which to download the DigiCal .apk file to your computer. My computer is a PC.

(2) Copy the .apk file to your phone. Use a USB cable to transfer the file (drag and drop) to a folder on the phone. I used the "Downloads" folder already configured on the phone, and easily accessible from the PC.

(3) Install the app. Because this app did not come from the Google Play Store, you may be confronted with a warning. If you trust the source of the .apk file, you’ll first have to enable Installation from Unknown Sources by going to Settings > Security, after which you’ll be able to install the APK. Sideloading support is available on all Android versions, and you don’t need root access or any other special privileges.

(4) Now for the less obvious step. Open the DigiCal app. In the upper left hand corner, find the "hamburger" icon. [It is three, horizontal, parallel lines.] Click it, and a menu will load from the left side. Near the bottom, find the "Calendars" option. Click the small icon on the right side of this line. A new sub-menu will open.

(5) This "Calendars" sub-menu has a blue ribbon at the top. On the left, an arrow pointing left. In the middle, the word "Calendars" and on the right, a plus ("+") sign. Click the plus sign.You will now be given the option to add either a Local calendar or a Calendar account. Once you select the Local calendar, you must give that calendar a name and choose a default color. Note the light grey text at the bottom of this screen - "This is a device-local calendar and will not synchronize across devices." Click on the "OKAY" to finalize your selection.

(6) In the large white field below the blue ribbon, your new, local-only (and writable) DigiCal calendar icon will appear. You will now have a fully functional, non-Google calendar.

Enjoy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire