Buy Nexus 10 now or wait for new generation ?

arkarkwin

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I am an Asus Transformer Prime user and I was waiting for Nexus 10 - 2nd generation to upgrade. However, I decided to give away my Prime to a close relative for some personal reason next week. I was still going to wait for Nexus-10 2nd generation but the tablet has become an important asset for me for both work and school. I am an IT tech working full time while attending a college. I need a tablet to read e-textbook from Kindle and Course Smart and view document on the go for work and I am constantly moving in my job. I am getting an iPad from work in a few months but I need a tablet now.

My question is - Shall I wait for N10 till Google announces and ships ( I know it is going to be a while) or buy 16 GB model now?
Thanks.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, there's no reason to not get a Nexus 10 now. Besides the occasional crash that some people have been reporting it's the best tablet available.

ogdlow

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I am waiting till the 2nd gen. I have read that they will release the Nexus 10 2.0 at the MWC on the 25th. It should be long after that untill we can get our hands on one. Apirl or May. I have seen the Nexus 10 over the past month or two have limited quanitietes on the Google store.. and at times sold out. This leads me to belive that they are gearing toward the production of the new version.
So for me I am waiting...even if it is untill May it will be well worth it. ..

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Wait for the next generation. Also wait and see if the quality control is better because its pretty bad right now. Like really bad. Just from reading all the horror stories from nexus 4, 7, and experiencing 10 makes me almost never want to try a nexus device ever again. I really think they are just massive beta tests. I think the quality control is so bad just to make them cheaper.

Oh and if you can.... DO NOT BUY FROM THE PLAY STORE...ranks in my top 5 worst customer experience ever. Buy it at a physical store so you can return it 5 times before you get a good nexus....pathetic...

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Wait for the next generation. Also wait and see if the quality control is better because its pretty bad right now. Like really bad. Just from reading all the horror stories from nexus 4, 7, and experiencing 10 makes me almost never want to try a nexus device ever again. I really think they are just massive beta tests. I think the quality control is so bad just to make them cheaper.

Oh and if you can.... DO NOT BUY FROM THE PLAY STORE...ranks in my top 5 worst customer experience ever. Buy it at a physical store so you can return it 5 times before you get a good nexus....pathetic...

From what I've seen your situation is experienced by a vast minority. I've always found it to be way better getting stuff from the play store.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting till the 2nd gen. I have read that they will release the Nexus 10 2.0 at the MWC on the 25th. It should be long after that untill we can get our hands on one. Apirl or May. I have seen the Nexus 10 over the past month or two have limited quanitietes on the Google store.. and at times sold out. This leads me to belive that they are gearing toward the production of the new version.
So for me I am waiting...even if it is untill May it will be well worth it. ..

Google has already stated that they won't have a big Android experience at MWC. So if you want to wait, think about Nexus 7 release time frame after Google IO.

Sent from my N10 using Tapatalk HD

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I am an Asus Transformer Prime user and I was waiting for Nexus 10 - 2nd generation to upgrade. However, I decided to give away my Prime to a close relative for some personal reason next week. I was still going to wait for Nexus-10 2nd generation but the tablet has become an important asset for me for both work and school. I am an IT tech working full time while attending a college. I need a tablet to read e-textbook from Kindle and Course Smart and view document on the go for work and I am constantly moving in my job. I am getting an iPad from work in a few months but I need a tablet now.

My question is - Shall I wait for N10 till Google announces and ships ( I know it is going to be a while) or buy 16 GB model now?
Thanks.

Heard this on Leo Laporte's show this afternoon. These are the show notes:

"Anna heard that the Google Nexus 10 tablet will have an upgraded quad core processor this year. When will it be available? Leo says soon after they announce it at Mobile World Congress, but Leo says if you're planning to wait on that, there's really no need to wait. The dual core is plenty powerful. But if you want to wait, it'll be a matter of days."

So really it's up to you. Your main question should be "how much do I like my Transformer Prime?"

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Funduro

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Your question hinges on 2 factors: -

a) How long can you afford to wait?
b) Can you afford to buy one now and then sell it and buy the 2nd generation later down the line.

I have had mine now for around 2 weeks and I have no gripes. The only problem I had was with the notification led which was working sporadically, however now after the 4.2.2 update its working fine. My N10 never crashed, never froze and have had no reboot issues till now. All in all I am very happy and I use mine for everything, work, gaming, reading and playing music. Streaming tv and hooking it up to my hd plasma tv is a dream and works well.
You know how it is with technology nowadays - if you had to wait for the next generation of a device you will end up by never buying one. As soon as a new device comes out companies are already working on the next generation and so on. Look at what Apple are doing with the iphone. And every new generation will have new features which we, probably, will always want - thats one of the reasons why they keep innovating. I live in Europe and the N10 is not available anywhere here and I am sure there is a massive market for it - had to get mine from the US thru a friend. So even if you decide to wiat for the 2nd generation i doubt it will be available before mid or late summer till their production gears up. Thats just my opinion.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
As I've said before. Google would be doing themselves a big disservice to announce/release the follow up to their first 10 inch nexus tab within the first 6 months of said tablets life. Google is not a hardware manufacturer. They don't need ?constant? sales to turn a profit.

The only reason to announce device is key lime pie.

Has Google always shown a new nexus device when premiering a ?new? OS?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
but Leo says if you're planning to wait on that, there's really no need to wait. The dual core is plenty powerful. But if you want to wait, it'll be a matter of days."

If all they change is number of cores, then 99.9+% of users will NEVER know the difference in real-world use and there isn't much point in waiting.

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
If all they change is number of cores, then 99.9+% of users will NEVER know the difference in real-world use and there isn't much point in waiting.

I agree. However I'm sure there will be other specs that are better too. It really depends on the person. If I didn't have a tablet I wouldn't wait. However if I had a Transformer Prime and it was working fine and I had no issues with it I might consider waiting.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree. However I'm sure there will be other specs that are better too. It really depends on the person. If I didn't have a tablet I wouldn't wait. However if I had a Transformer Prime and it was working fine and I had no issues with it I might consider waiting.

I have this first batch Nexus 10 so ill definitely wait.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

VGPOP

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the 32GB over the weekend at Walmart for Valentine's gift for my G/F. It has been wonderful to have this tablet.

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the 32GB over the weekend at Walmart for Valentine's gift for my G/F. It has been wonderful to have this tablet.

Glad you enjoy it. The N10 is my first tablet too. Deciding if I want to root it is a huge dilemma. I really like the vanilla experience and the quick updates, but I am in love with the themed ROM (Wicked Sensations v2.0) that I have on my phone. So hard to decide.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Heard this on Leo Laporte's show this afternoon. These are the show notes:

"Anna heard that the Google Nexus 10 tablet will have an upgraded quad core processor this year. When will it be available? Leo says soon after they announce it at Mobile World Congress, but Leo says if you're planning to wait on that, there's really no need to wait. The dual core is plenty powerful. But if you want to wait, it'll be a matter of days."

So really it's up to you. Your main question should be "how much do I like my Transformer Prime?"

Even if they were to announce a newer version of the tablet at that time, it's not like it will be in stores the following day...

To the OP: Seriously, the N10 is what, like 2-3 months old? There is always going to be something better on the horizon. If you need a new tablet now, I'd certainly recommend buying it -- I love mine. I've also owned the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 and a Nexus 7, and to me, the N10 blows them both away -- and I'm judging on first impressions. If you don't need one now and can wait a few months, then sure, there probably will be better tablets out by them...but there will also be even better tablets out a few months after that...and after that...and after that. My point is, you can play the waiting game forever, and no matter when you pull the trigger, you'll have buyers remorse eventually. Judging based on what's available in the market right now, I see no reason not to get an N10, if you're inclined to get a new tablet right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800