Would a Nexus 10 take full advantage of TMo's HSPA+ 42mbps?

slinkies

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
How do you mean since this is only a wifi tablet? If you mean via mobile hotspot then yea it would the nexus 10 is the fastest tablet on the market in every aspect of hardware right now anyways well see what next week has to offer lmao...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If not, what tablet would be better?
Nexus 7? Is it slow w/ only 1GB RAM?
:confused:

Thanks.

I have a Nexus 7 and compared to my Nexus 4 phone, the 7 is just a bit slower at opening things. As far as T-Mobiles 4G speeds, when set to use data, I get about 7-8Mbps downloads ad as high as 12 occasionally. Certainly not bad speeds, much better than I could ever get on AT&T and Verizon when I had an iPhone with them.

My Nexus 7 has never been as slow as my MacBook (4GB ram) can get sometimes although switching users can be slow on the Nexus 7 because it has to redraw the wallpaper and lock screen if you use one.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
my bad. didnt know it was HSPA.

It doesn't get the super fast 17-21Mbps as my Nexus 4 does but that's because the Nexus 4 is HSPA+ 42. As I said above, I average about 7-8Mbps and sometimes up to 10 which is still not bad at all. I have no problem streaming videos uncompressed on some site thought YouTube does.

Ben Indawyn

Banned
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it.
So Nexus 4's HSPA+ 42mbps gets an average of 17-21mbps?
And, Nexus 7's HSPA+ 21mbps gets an average of 7-8mbps?

Also, viewing YT vids on your N7 causes problems?

:S

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it.

From what I understand, T-Mobiles network doesn't support the higher HSPA+ speeds at least in all areas. I have gotten as high as 26Mbps on the Nexus 4. YouTube videos play fine.

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
42Mbps and 21Mbps are theoretical maximums, where you're standing right next to the tower and nobody else is using it. That's only feasible in a rural area though. If you're anywhere with even some population density, your speeds will be noticeably lower.

Ben Indawyn

Banned
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Just trying to make my mind up between 4 and 7.

I get frustrated and am like, "F'it! Just put something in the cart already!" lol, but want to get what's best,
even if it's not a HUGE part of my life and I'm basically just gonna use it for maps, looking up stuff
on Wikipedia, Weather, News, play a little chess on Chess.com, and just general browsing
and a few Skype messages to the missus. That's really it.

I've been using a Nintendo 3ds wifi (15Mbps) lately...lol. Kinda weird. Split screen.
Takes forever to tell me a site can't be displayed anyways. So, compared to that...
either 4 / 7 will be a step up, I'm hoping.

Spending weeks now, studying all the details and still don't know...THE best deal for me
Anyways, I've narrowed it down to 4 & 7.

I know it depends on location but given the same location, the 7 will max out at 21, right?
Where the 4 will continue on if there's more to be had, but, that may never happen, I suppose.
I'm in Austin, btw. Supposedly covered fairly well.

Thanks for all the responses, really didn't expect to get so much good info.
Is the 4 worh the extra money for 42Mbps that may never be used?

For the 2GB RAM?
Even with less screen 'real estate'?
*siiiighhhhhh*
I'm just gonna close my eyes and pick one... I'll be happy no matter what.

Thanks again.

=D

EDIT:
Oh yeah, no matter which I get, it'll be automatically updated to the newest ver. of Android this 2nd quarter, right?

Last edited:

Ben Indawyn

Banned
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
hey thanks but what does that have to do with anything? lol
to GPS mark when I'm getting good reception?

Anyways, you all ROCK, thanks so much for walking me through this...

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't get it.

Speed test results will *never* yield advertised maximum speeds. Those max speeds represent almost perfect conditions in a closed system -- it represents what the technology can handle. Variables such as hardware limitations, bandwidth availability (on the near-end, far-end and everywhere in between), number of hops to destination, carrier throttling, etc, will all factor into the real life results you experience.

You may buy a car that can achieve speeds of 200mph, but certainly doesn't mean you should expect to be able to drive that speed from point A to point B on standard roadways; it represents what the car can achieve on a closed course with optimal conditions -- think of advertised network speeds in the same way.

Just trying to make my mind up between 4 and 7.

I get frustrated and am like, "F'it! Just put something in the cart already!" lol, but want to get what's best,
even if it's not a HUGE part of my life and I'm basically just gonna use it for maps, looking up stuff
on Wikipedia, Weather, News, play a little chess on Chess.com, and just general browsing
and a few Skype messages to the missus. That's really it.

I've been using a Nintendo 3ds wifi (15Mbps) lately...lol. Kinda weird. Split screen.
Takes forever to tell me a site can't be displayed anyways. So, compared to that...
either 4 / 7 will be a step up, I'm hoping.

Spending weeks now, studying all the details and still don't know...THE best deal for me
Anyways, I've narrowed it down to 4 & 7.

I know it depends on location but given the same location, the 7 will max out at 21, right?
Where the 4 will continue on if there's more to be had, but, that may never happen, I suppose.
I'm in Austin, btw. Supposedly covered fairly well.

Thanks for all the responses, really didn't expect to get so much good info.
Is the 4 worh the extra money for 42Mbps that may never be used?

For the 2GB RAM?
Even with less screen 'real estate'?
*siiiighhhhhh*
I'm just gonna close my eyes and pick one... I'll be happy no matter what.

Thanks again.

=D

EDIT:
Oh yeah, no matter which I get, it'll be automatically updated to the newest ver. of Android this 2nd quarter, right?

Honestly, at this point the primary factor I'd be basing my decision on is size and what works better for you -- although if I had decided to go 7", I'd probably hold off until after the Google I/O since the N7 was released almost a year ago. Still though, it's a pretty sure bet that the current one will be updated to the next latest version, yes.

Ben Indawyn

Banned
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I was also considering the price drop off.
Seems that a few phone are (obv) priced very high right when they're released, and sorta keep that momentum until about 6 months out.
Then, a slow taper down, then oddly, a little bump, then petering off to nothing. So, I kinda want to hit it before the bump, but while I can still buy accessories.

Anyways, at the last minute decided on the 4, just for speed and ease of use.
And a few dollars extra seemed worth it in the long run. BUT!! (~~~~~>EDIT: Nevermind, I called Customer Support and got it sorted out)

...has anyone had this problem with Google Play?
CC was declined, because of overzealous CC security, which is fine.

but we got all that sorted and now GP is asking me to send a scan of my driver's license or state issued ID, along with a bill proving my address. I've never had to do any of that before in my life, and I've purchased many, many things online. Like, they want me to email an attachment. Of both these things. lol.

here's the full script:
If you?ve arrived at this page, it means that your Google Wallet online account is currently suspended because we were unable to verify the credit or debit card information for your recent order. To maintain the security of your account, please follow a few simple steps to ensure your account information is up-to-date.

What do I need to complete the form? To confirm your financial identity and protect your account, you'll need to scan or take pictures of (using your cell phone, for example) your verification documents and then upload them to this form. The verification documents are:

One non-expired government-issued identification
One billing address verification document dated within the last four months and containing the same address on file in your Google Wallet account (if you can?t remember your billing address on file or had multiple on file, use your most recent home address)
What does this mean for my current order and charges on my card statement? Your order has been cancelled and your card was not charged. If you still see activity on your card statement for your cancelled order, this is just an authorization, not an actual charge, and it will be removed from your account in 1-14 business days depending on your card-issuing bank.

What will happen if I don?t verify my account? To ensure the security of your account, it will remain suspended and you won?t be able to place orders until you send your verification documents. Please do not create additional accounts.

How long will it take to verify my account? It should take 3-5 business days to process your request, but it may take longer in some cases. You will be notified directly by email once your information has been verified.

Weird, huh?

And, when I went to the local T-Mo they said they can't sell me a phone without a plan.

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Good choice, Ben. Nexus 4 has much better speed and responsiveness than my N 7 under 4.2. Wish I'd left my 7 on 4.1.2. My N4 blows me away and makes me smile with glee almost hourly. SO MUCH better than my HTC Amaze.

Call your card issuer and verify your billing address is correct then give them any alternate SHIPPING addresses you might use. Most card payment processors will kack on a shipping address that doesn't validate with the card issuer, and red flags the transaction.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
42Mbps and 21Mbps are theoretical maximums, where you're standing right next to the tower and nobody else is using it. That's only feasible in a rural area though. If you're anywhere with even some population density, your speeds will be noticeably lower.

HSPA+42 on T-Mobile in a rural area? I wish. :p Good choice on the Nexus 4, Ben. You'll like it. A lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699