Is the app selection still scarce on the Nexus 10?

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Since my Nexus 7 shattered and no longer works, I'm in the market for a new tablet and willing to go up a little bit higher in price than the N7 - so for all of you Nexus 10 users, is app selection still as scarce on the device as it was at launch?

Much of what I've been able to find online and on the forums addressed app selection months ago, which seemed to be tepid, but I'm wondering if the N10 gets the job done when it comes to a wide variety of applications, and what N10 users' experience has been in using apps that do work with the device. I've heard that a lot of N10-compatible apps are not optimized for a tablet experience and thus don't take much advantage of the 10 inch screen.

I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of a 10-inch screen, but I'm willing to try it out, especially since much of what I used my N7 for was casual browsing, watching movies and TV, playing games, and looking at photos/etc.

Let me know what you think - I'd greatly appreciate your insight!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Since my Nexus 7 shattered and no longer works, I'm in the market for a new tablet and willing to go up a little bit higher in price than the N7 - so for all of you Nexus 10 users, is app selection still as scarce on the device as it was at launch?

Much of what I've been able to find online and on the forums addressed app selection months ago, which seemed to be tepid, but I'm wondering if the N10 gets the job done when it comes to a wide variety of applications, and what N10 users' experience has been in using apps that do work with the device. I've heard that a lot of N10-compatible apps are not optimized for a tablet experience and thus don't take much advantage of the 10 inch screen.

I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of a 10-inch screen, but I'm willing to try it out, especially since much of what I used my N7 for was casual browsing, watching movies and TV, playing games, and looking at photos/etc.

I guess in a lot of ways it depends on what apps you use. I have plenty of "tablet" apps on my N10, and quite a few other apps that are exactly the same as they are on my phone. Personally, it makes a lot of sense for some apps to be "optimized", but in other cases, it doesn't really matter.

I often think that the whole "there aren't as many 'tablet-optimzed' apps" propaganda gets thrown around mainly by iPad defenders, but the thing is that it really isn't that big of a deal because most apps will work just fine on any size screen.

I love the Nexus 10, and at no point have I ever had a single problem finding apps for it.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with pete, it all depends on what you use. Most of the mainstream apps have been optimized (though a notable exception is Twitter). For me, the bigger nuisance has been apps that are only designed to work in portrait mode. I operate in landscape mode 99% of the time, so it's annoying to have to rotate the screen because the app won't adjust. Notable examples of this are ESPN apps (Scorecenter, fantasy sports, WatchESPN) and Fandango. I was just looking through my app list though, and the majority of the apps I use have been optimized for the 10 inch screen in landscape. I can't think of the last time I came across an app that was obviously made for a phone and was stretched to the fit the screen.

HeSaid

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I agree with paintdrinkingpete, it depends upon what you want from your tablet. I have had this nexus 10 for just a few days, coming from a Toshiba thrive 10" after a year and a half use. My daily use sounds about like yours: surfing, reading forums, email, banking and movies. I an not a gamer.
The Google apps, printhand and ocean browser supply 95% of what I need.
--
Neal

Edited for spelling

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I had the Xoom when it came out now the Nexus 10, I have never found a shortage of apps. As previously stated I also use my tablet in landscape mode most of the time and I found 98% of the apps I use work great the other 2% not optimized but there is always one that is.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Every app that I have used works on the Nexus 10 except 1 or 2.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I agree with pete, it all depends on what you use. Most of the mainstream apps have been optimized (though a notable exception is Twitter). For me, the bigger nuisance has been apps that are only designed to work in portrait mode. I operate in landscape mode 99% of the time, so it's annoying to have to rotate the screen because the app won't adjust. Notable examples of this are ESPN apps (Scorecenter, fantasy sports, WatchESPN) and Fandango. I was just looking through my app list though, and the majority of the apps I use have been optimized for the 10 inch screen in landscape. I can't think of the last time I came across an app that was obviously made for a phone and was stretched to the fit the screen.

Funny -- I'm the exact opposite. Unless I'm watching a movie on it, I definitely use it 99% of the time in portrait mode, and get slightly annoyed when an app forces me to landscape. (But normally understand why, based on the way an app is designed to lay out).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
more than 90% of the app i use are tablet optimized. and some of the apps really dont make any sense to be tablet optimized.

for example the app greenify is not tablet optimized but i dont care because i configure it once and would never ever need to open it again since it works behind the scene

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much! I think that there's definitely a void of up-to-date information regarding the quality of app selection on the Nexus 10 since it launched. I hope that it has not deterred a lot of potential buyers from going ahead and making the purchase. I still have a ways to go before making a decision - looking for a long-term tablet, so we'll see. Either way, greatly appreciate everyone's help.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I found so apps in the Amazon Android Store that were not in the Google Play store. Some of these were from when I had a Kindle Fire and were stored in the Amazon Cloud. One didn't work on my N10 and it was a paid Solitair app. I've heard that one way of getting more apps is to root your device. I don't know anything about that since I haven't done it though. One reason I got the N10 is because of apps since I don't have a smartphone. There sure seems to be a huge variety of apps available to me.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I found so apps in the Amazon Android Store that were not in the Google Play store. Some of these were from when I had a Kindle Fire and were stored in the Amazon Cloud. One didn't work on my N10 and it was a paid Solitair app. I've heard that one way of getting more apps is to root your device. I don't know anything about that since I haven't done it though. One reason I got the N10 is because of apps since I don't have a smartphone. There sure seems to be a huge variety of apps available to me.

Rooting your device won't give you too much of an advantage when it comes to app availability. Android allows loading of non-Play Store apps by default without root, so I don't really see how that could make too much of a difference.

(though there are some apps that *require* root...but that is only because they are performing root-enable functions, like Titanium Backup)

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Rooting your device won't give you too much of an advantage when it comes to app availability. Android allows loading of non-Play Store apps by default without root, so I don't really see how that could make too much of a difference.

(though there are some apps that *require* root...but that is only because they are performing root-enable functions, like Titanium Backup)

And also the firewall feature on avast anti-virus.

Sent from my XT907

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89