Which OTG cable for Nexus 10?

lettersmith

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Noob here. The selection of OTG cables is dizzying. I just want to connect a flash drive or my portable hard drive to the tablet to transfer photos or files. Would it be "micro usb to usb 2.0"? Or? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

thehatguy

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I went with Samsung for my OTG needs.

I use this setup for my Nexus 10 and Galaxy S4.

John

Attachments

• 20130602_081843.jpg
    20130602_081843.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 25

bubba_shubba

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering about this - I'm in the market for a Nexus tablet, possibly... I'm a photographer and on shoots I like a screen tethered to the camera so that I can control the camera remotely and check the focus of my shots, but I also need to be able to load images off my primary CF card and onto an external hard drive.

Can the nexus 10 power a small external HD like the seagate goflex? or would I need to get a couple of 64gb SD cards for this purpose? I'm inclined towards the latter anyway for when I am travelling, but it's also nice to not have to buy new things...

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering about this - I'm in the market for a Nexus tablet, possibly... I'm a photographer and on shoots I like a screen tethered to the camera so that I can control the camera remotely and check the focus of my shots, but I also need to be able to load images off my primary CF card and onto an external hard drive.

Can the nexus 10 power a small external HD like the seagate goflex? or would I need to get a couple of 64gb SD cards for this purpose? I'm inclined towards the latter anyway for when I am travelling, but it's also nice to not have to buy new things...

Why not just do a goflex sattelite. That is battery powered and uses WiFi to talk to the camera

bubba_shubba

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Why not just do a goflex sattelite. That is battery powered and uses WiFi to talk to the camera

If wifi was an option, i'd use wifi... maybe for media but not for the camera, it's a canon 5D mkii. Shooting tethered only happens on my shoots (once every 2 months) - the other majority of the time when travelling, I'm just looking to rename and backup/archive after shooting at the end of the day... i'm thinking wifi would take forever to copy 12GB at the end of the day, wouldn't it?

mothershipload

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Another piece of info that may help: these cables come in 2 "styles", straight, or with a 90-degree bend DOWNWARD. I you need to use headphones at the same time, get the straight one, the 90-degree cable will NOT allow you to plug in the headphones, because the headphone jack is directly below the micro-USB port. I have lots of movies on my flash drives, was planning on just playing them off the drives, ended up having to transfer them to the tablet.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Another piece of info that may help: these cables come in 2 "styles", straight, or with a 90-degree bend DOWNWARD. I you need to use headphones at the same time, get the straight one, the 90-degree cable will NOT allow you to plug in the headphones, because the headphone jack is directly below the micro-USB port. I have lots of movies on my flash drives, was planning on just playing them off the drives, ended up having to transfer them to the tablet.

I doubt you're poor because you own a $500 tablet. I would have gladly eaten the $5 spent on buying the downwardly configured OTG and spent another $5 for a straight or upwardly configured one just to avoid the copying (and to keep the convenience).

mothershipload

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I doubt you're poor because you own a $500 tablet. I would have gladly eaten the $5 spent on buying the downwardly configured OTG and spent another $5 for a straight or upwardly configured one just to avoid the copying (and to keep the convenience).

I got the cable just the day before my flight out of town, intended to use it on the plane to watch some movies. Didn't have time to get another cable. I'll get another one before my next trip in August.