1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is Google even supporting this thing anymore?

I keep hearing about all these hardware problems on forums yet the Nexus 7 is running smoothly and swiftly for most. I also don't think I've seen a commercial for the Nexus 10...ever. The 7 however, almost every day.

Does anyone know if this is being discontinued? I never see it in ads or promo shots from Google at all. It seems like the redheaded stepchild that even Google doesn't want. Sort of like Google Goggles.

Any info is appreciated. Just a confused consumer.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Is Google even supporting this thing anymore?

Current rumors point to Asus being the manufacturer of the 2013 Nexus 10. The 2012 version is still receiving software support, but I haven't seen many ads for the 2012 devices since around July. Hopefully that's because they're saving their ad money for this fall/winter

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Maybe you have a point. Samsung made it for Google, but the new one will be Asus. Maybe there is trouble between Google and Samsung. Maybe Google is just looking to sell their remaining stock of the Samsung one, but they have zero interest in asking Samsung to build any more units. Could be something like that. In any case, it was an awesome machine, 12 months ago, and its front facing speakers are great. I adore my Nexus 10, but not enough to want to own two. We'll see what October brings, as far as the new machine, Asus.

They have not come out with accessories for it except for a case, had to buy the pogo plug aftermarket, I like my Nexus 10 but it seems it was never supported by Samsung or Google except for updates. Will still get the Nexus 5.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signothetimez View Post
    I keep hearing about all these hardware problems on forums yet the Nexus 7 is running smoothly and swiftly for most.
    The N10 is much faster and smoother than the N7 (1). And the N7 had just as many issues, if not more. For each post on either you hear about a problem, there are probably 100 or more people with no problems at all. That is the nature of forums. No device of any type is without issues.

Does anyone know if this is being discontinued?
    Everything gets discontinued at some point. N10? Not yet... possibly soon when the new model comes out- and yes, it is likely the new model will be Asus. Doesn't mean it will be better built, however. Just newer specs.

I never see it in ads or promo shots from Google at all. It seems like the redheaded stepchild that even Google doesn't want.
    It is a high-end device that didn't have as much potential as the much cheaper 7". That is where Google pushed to get into the mass market.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

The N10 isn't a "red-headed stepchild" (to use your term), but it was never slated to sell as many units as the Nexus 4 or the Nexus 7.

The Nexus 4 is Google's *PHONE*, so obviously it's going to get a lot of attention as Google's primary device in that market. The N7's huge popularity is centered around it's affordable price. There was really no way the N10 could compete with either one of those, nor do I believe it was ever intended to. It is none the less, a fantastic product. Google has never really had to do a lot of advertising for ANY of it's products.

Also, I'm not sure if it's as much that Google wants to distance themselves from Samsung as much as it's the other way around. Profit margins on Nexus devices have to be pretty slim for both Google and the OEMs, and while you could argue that quantities sold can offset that, I'm not sure Samsung really needs to. Their brand-name products already fly off the shelves, and it seems highly possible to me that even if Google approached Samsung to make the next 10" tab they would have declined and instead choose to focus on their own 10" Note tablet. (FWIW, I have no idea, I'm just saying that it's a possibility to consider).

The nexus line really isn't to make money its for developers to have the latest android os. I don't have figures but I'm sure the n7 is the biggest seller cuz its usefulness at the price. Then n4 comes next cuz its a phone. And the n10 is just the larger n7. All for development.

Posted via Android Central App
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeman90 View Post
    And the n10 is just the larger n7.
    No. It is far more than just a "larger N7". Please look at all the specs.

All for development.
    No. That was probably the original intent, but hasn't been for quite a while now. It is PART of the purpose, but probably not even the main one now.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeman90 View Post
    And the n10 is just the larger n7.
    And when you compare them, compare last year's Nexus 7, not this year's as the Nexus 10 came out last year. it clearly was far more than a larger Nexus 7.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Went to the states to have my relative have my nexus 10 fixed after breaking down in just 3 months time..Will never buy a Samsung device again
    I bought myself a nexus7 2013 model. hopefully it would fare longer

Quote Originally Posted by Atiya View Post
    Went to the states to have my relative have my nexus 10 fixed after breaking down in just 3 months time..Will never buy a Samsung device again
    I bought myself a nexus7 2013 model. hopefully it would fare longer
    This would be the Nexus 10 you dropped from 4(+?) feet back in the begining of April?
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    This would be the Nexus 10 you dropped from 4(+?) feet back in the begining of April?
    Yes, I believe we have all got his number now.....
    Pat
    Chromecast

See the newest post 'WORST TABLET EVER'...really silly stuff

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    And when you compare them, compare last year's Nexus 7, not this year's as the Nexus 10 came out last year. it clearly was far more than a larger Nexus 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

No. That was probably the original intent, but hasn't been for quite a while now. It is PART of the purpose, but probably not even the main one now.
    You miss quote me. The specs are bumped but at the end of the day is there any real difference in its capabilities? same software entirely. but different sizes. its like a coupe and sedan which are other wise the same but still different. I have a 10 my sister own a 7. there is literally nothing that she cant do that i can and visa versa. BUT i do enjoy my larger screen. it does the same thing but handles the different functions differently. for example: to read a book we can use play books but to do it on a train standing and pain in my hand, her easy. to watch a movie, she;s squinting while i'll sit back and enjoy. the 7 was made and the 10 came after for people who wanted a bigger screen. this is not comparing apples and oranges

I don't think I miss quoted you. The 2012 Nexus 10 and the 2012 Nexus 7 had more differences than just screen size. The nexus 10 had 2GB of RAM and the Nexus 7 had 1GB of RAM. The Nexus 7 only had a 1.2MP front facing camera, the Nexus 10 had a 1.9MP front camera and a 5MP rear camera. Nexus 7 screen resolution was 1280X800 (216PPI) and the Nexus 10 was 2560X1600 (300PPI).

I get your point about usability. I probably wouldn't have commented at all if you had just said that in the first post.
    Pat
    Chromecast