Lollipop vs. KitKat

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lollypop vs. KitKat

Flash an old factory image and root the device to modify the system partition (rooting via SuperSU does this already) to prevent the device pulling the ota again. But what's wrong with lollipop?

jpjgolden

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, Umass021, but your remedy sounds a little beyond the level of my technical skill. I MAY have overreacted. I was having problems with the keyboard, but it seems to have straightened itself out today. I guess I'm complaining about having to relearn everything for the sake of newness

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, Umass021, but your remedy sounds a little beyond the level of my technical skill. I MAY have overreacted. I was having problems with the keyboard, but it seems to have straightened itself out today. I guess I'm complaining about having to relearn everything for the sake of newness

There are a fair number of annoying things about Lollipop on the N10, ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...4-lollipop-tablet-ui-huge-step-backwards.html ) and some baffling changes (like changing the home button from an icon of a home to a freaking circle) but I wouldn't characterize it as "relearning everything".

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site

In fact, I've found Lollipop has brought new life to my aging N10. So far, it runs like a champ: smooth animations, fast app loading... The tablet barely performed this well when new! I'm liking it so much, I've decided to not "upgrade" to the N9.

Posted via Android Central App

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site

In fact, I've found Lollipop has brought new life to my aging N10. So far, it runs like a champ: smooth animations, fast app loading... The tablet barely performed this well when new! I'm liking it so much, I've decided to not "upgrade" to the N9.

Posted via Android Central App

I feel it really has given a whole new life to the tablet. Mine was working well also but it feels like a a new device. I played with the nexus 9 yesterday and didn't see much of a difference.

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site

There are a fair number of annoying things about Lollipop on the N10, ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...4-lollipop-tablet-ui-huge-step-backwards.html ) and some baffling changes (like changing the home button from an icon of a home to a freaking circle) but I wouldn't characterize it as "relearning everything".

Changing an icon yet leaving it in the same position would seem to logically indicate it performs the same function.

Your statement is invalid.

Posted via the Android Central App

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Mine feels exactly the same fast speed that it did before the update. 5.0 is probably not faster, but it or the process of upgrading itself might have fixed people who were having unusual problems.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Changing an icon yet leaving it in the same position would seem to logically indicate it performs the same function.

Your statement is invalid.

Um, no, my statement is perfectly valid. Exactly how is a new user supposed to know that the center icon is home? How about people like my Mom who don't understand position having meaning? It is not intuitive nor logical to represent a function with a totally unrelated pictograph.

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Um, no, my statement is perfectly valid. Exactly how is a new user supposed to know that the center icon is home? How about people like my Mom who don't understand position having meaning? It is not intuitive nor logical to represent a function with a totally unrelated pictograph.

I believe there on-screen tips that inform the user how to interact with the home screen in the stock launcher (GEL) on first use.

Posted via the Android Central App

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Interesting- I waited a few days before saying this to make sure it was consistent... it seems that my WiFi signal level that is reported is much higher under 5.0. I am not sure if it is actually any stronger, or just that they changed the metering.

Prof Pink

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

The biggest disappointment for me is that they completely removed the ability to snooze calendar notifications, even though some of their early documentation stated that the new and "improved" notifications would allow you to snooze even from the lock screen. In KitKat you could at least pull down the notification shade and snooze a reminder.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Interesting- I waited a few days before saying this to make sure it was consistent... it seems that my WiFi signal level that is reported is much higher under 5.0. I am not sure if it is actually any stronger, or just that they changed the metering.

My N10 used to drop my WiFi connection at least once per day no matter where I was or what router I was connected too. Since the Lollypop update last Monday (7 days ago) it has not dropped WiFi at all. I think the signal strength meter readings are real.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App

andrewkoe

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I also don't have a snooze button on my event notifications. I think it's really strange there's not more talk about this. I feel like I'm some sort of edge case.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

And today I was playing plants vs. zombies 2, like I do every day, and it completely froze right in the middle of playing. Static display of the graphics. Had to force a reboot by holding in the power button for 10 seconds.

I have *never* had it do this in any program before. More Lollipop fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa