Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By SeigaGen
  • 2 Post By DirkBelig
  • 1 Post By DirkBelig
  • 2 Post By dmmarck
  • 1 Post By Ryuuie
  • 1 Post By ChromeJob
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

Default CNET's review is up... Lack of LTE and low call volume major negatives

LG Nexus 4 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Lack of LTE isn't that huge of a deal breaker... and call volume as well since it can be altered via the Kernel. But that's if you decide to unlock and root the device.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Default Re: CNET's review is up... Lack of LTE and low call volume major negatives

It should be noted that CNET UK gave it 4.5 out of 5. I'm personally taking only the UK review into consideration since that one notes that lack of 4G is not a big issue since its not widely available in the UK anyway. I'm not concerned about 4G because I'm in Wi-Fi range moist of the time and have no intention of smoking away the 1GB of data I have because of 4G.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Default Re: CNET's review is up... Lack of LTE and low call volume major negatives

Quote Originally Posted by snaqvi91 View Post
    It should be noted that CNET UK gave it 4.5 out of 5. I'm personally taking only the UK review into consideration since that one notes that lack of 4G is not a big issue since its not widely available in the UK anyway. I'm not concerned about 4G because I'm in Wi-Fi range moist of the time and have no intention of smoking away the 1GB of data I have because of 4G.

1gb??? Wow. I use that in a day

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Lol. I don't want to spend anymore than I already do on my smartphone bill especially since I'm in a Wi-Fi zone most of the time. What does concern me about the device is the battery life.

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The Verge review, while hampered with iFanboyism, gave top marks to call volume and quality and said they had to turn down alert volumes for the external speaker, they were so loud.

It's as if no one can get their stories straight.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Maybe it's quality control issues all over again?

Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think its plenty loud, maybe they got a defective test unit.
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

I'm hoping the battery last substantially longer than my s3 due to No LTE

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Perhaps, but I'm sensing a huge bias against non-Apple products. In the video review, she faults the design as being nothing special when Apple gets nothing but love for making the same thing over and over. She yawns at the UI, but iOS 6 looks no different than the first iteration. When Apple said they didn't support LTE due to support and battery life, they were applauded as wise; now that the iPhone 5 has LTE, everyone else is WRONG!!! She says that anyone wanting an unlocked phone should look at LTE-equipped phones, ignoring that they'll cost DOUBLE what the N4 does.

It's the same old same old. There is no fault so big as to ding Apple and no flaw too small to not bash Android about. The iPhone could cause radiation poisoning in 5% of users and get 5 stars while a Nexus that adds 10 years to your life will be bashed for not adding 15 years.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    Thanked by:
    Kamin 
    tlo07 and ChromeJob like this.

This review fails to note that there was hardly a snowballs chance in hell of lte on this phone...

They may push carrier lte models later but think about it...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here's where the lack of LTE doesn't matter because ANYTHING has got to be better than Trudge's crap speeds:

On average, it loaded our CNET mobile site in 6 seconds and our full desktop site in 8 seconds.

It took me 24 seconds and 2:08(!!!!) with Chrome on my Epic 4G Touch at my workplace.

The New York Times mobile and desktop sites took 7 and 14 seconds to load, respectively.

It took 1:00 to get the mobile site. I'm not even going to try the full one.

ESPN's mobile site downloaded in 7 seconds and the phone took 15 seconds to load the full site.

I stopped timing after FOUR MINUTES and the MOBILE site not being loaded.

Yeah, I'm really going to hate HSPA. Pffft.
    ChromeJob likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    The Verge review, while hampered with iFanboyism, gave top marks to call volume and quality and said they had to turn down alert volumes for the external speaker, they were so loud.

Josh Topolsky is one of he biggest "mainstream" Nexus users and Android supporters out there...his review is really making me caution against purchasing.

That being said, I'll probably purchase nonetheless .
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and SeigaGen like this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Kang/CM10

I shouldn't be surprised with CNET's review of the Nexus. They're the very essence of the Apple Fanboi.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - RIP
    CM10 Jellybro Jelly Bean

Asus Nexus 7
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

It's CNET. :P

They're seriously not the best place to go for ANYTHING Android based.
    Andrew Martonik likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,325 Global Posts

Anyone who doesn't love it must be wrong. :/
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Anyone who doesn't love it must be wrong. :/
    Exactly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post

Early production or review units. I'll wait for reviews of actually bought handsets.

This "waah, no LTE" broken record is getting tiresome. The fiasco that Galaxy Nexus owners have had to endure on Verizon is criminal but reviewers use this initial release's config to poo-poo it. Its like kicking the the cat because he wont go "woof."
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    nickacs likes this.

She touched upon an important difference for me between this phone and a Galaxy S3–price. I'm practically on a new contract with T-Mobile and to get this badass phone for $349 off-contract practically sells itself to me. An S3 from T-Mobile at this point would run me $549.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

I'ts all subjective.