Full Pixel Buds review Almost 1 year later.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, So, I wanted to give my honest almost 1 year review of my Pixel Buds since i got them last year:

Size: Between the buds & the charging case, they're perfect! Fits so compactly inside of my jeans pocket, or my jacket pocket Admittedly, I've dropped both my buds & the charging case in the gym quite q few times, and nothing has happened. a few nicks here and there, but nothing major whatsoever. I love the size of them. I just had sort of a revelation though. I have been using the largest size rubber tips for my buds since i figure the largest rubber tips would create the best seal for music and background noise. Here's the problem with that though; when I would go to sit the buds back in the charging case, MOST of the time, my buds weren't just magnetically "snapping" into place. I couldn't figure out why for the life of me. Basically, there's not enough space in the charging case for them to sit & click into the magnets properly. I just put the smallest rubber tips on, which is perfect for fitment. Even the medium sized rubber tips are good for fitting in, but the smallest ones fit the best of course.

Audio Quality: Call quality is perfect. Callers say that I sound loud, and clear to them. Now, let me start off by saying that I am by NO MEANS an audiophile. The music audio quality is pretty good. Good enough for me, I'll say that. My buds to get aloud enough for me, and I've got no issues with the volume levels of my music from Pandora, YouTube, or any other audio source. The buds do not offer (ANC) Active Noise Cancellation, however for me, that's not a high priority as I need to be a part of my environment for hearing different things such as cars, alarm noises, etc.

BT Connection: MOST OF THE TIME my buds' BT connection is pretty stable and reliable. I WILL SAY that at the gym, I have had a few one-sided BT Connection drops where ether my left side or right-side will drop out and one side stays connected. The only way to remedy this of course is to re-sync the buds in the charging case. I will admit that when this BT drop happens, this issue does get annoying sometimes. "Google Engineers/Product Experts" from their buds forums have said this is due to the fact that the buds are so small, that the BT radio isn't very big, and therefor will drop sometimes. That does make sense, however it's still a bit annoying but I can deal with it. I will also say that IF these buds weren't made by Google (Any other company AKA Jabra, Samsung, etc) pretty much specifically for our Pixel phones, I would have returned them to get my money back. I am WILLING to be patient with them/troubleshoot them since I'm a HUGE Googler. hahah. Thankfully, this BT issue doesn't happen constantly, so i can "deal with it" and all I've got to do is re-sync my buds into their charging case which usually isn't too big of an issue.

Built-in Google Assistant: Well, what can I say... MOST earbuds on the market just activate the GA on your phone. These have GA built-in which makes A HUGE DIFFERENCE! Between getting all of you messages read aloud, to be able to respond back to most of your messages, they're great! It's one of those "priceless features" in my opinion!

Battery: Just as advertised, the buds' battery life is good for such small buds. Same thing is the charging case. I have no complaints whatsoever with the battery life. What i do LOVE about them is that since each bud can work independently of each other, one can be in the charging case while you're using the other bud. This feature comes in VERY USEFUL and VERY HANDY a lot of the time for me!

Summary: Overall, I do STILL LOVE my Pixel buds. Thankfully, the connection doesn't drop out very often where it gets annoyingly frustrating! They're a great Pixel companion for me every day!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nice review I decided to get them on black Friday after much deliberation. I use them at least daily now!

Hey dude, thanks for the support!!:cool: Yeah, Honestly, even with the occasional frustration regarding the BT connection dropouts with one of the buds, I STILL LOVE them! Like I said, the feature of having GA built right into the buds is AMAZING and worth the slight frustrations of the connection dropouts. Of course there is fierce competition on the market now in the earbud space... From Jabra, to Apple, to Sony, Samsung, etc. It all just comes down to what features you actually want to have in your earbuds at the end of the day. I honestly, don't care about active noise cancellation. Never have..

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that bugs me is that I don't know when the case is done being charged. I wish the light changed color or turned off or something to let me know.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, honestly, what I do is when my buds are in the charging case, I just leave the case flipped open all of the time, and you can see the battery levels for the buds, and the charging case. That's very helpful!

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, honestly, what I do is when my buds are in the charging case, I just leave the case flipped open all of the time, and you can see the battery levels for the buds, and the charging case. That's very helpful!
When connected to my phone yes. But I have my buds connected to my laptop at work and you can't see the levels connected that way.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
When connected to my phone yes. But I have my buds connected to my laptop at work and you can't see the levels connected that way.

AH, gotcha then.. That would make sense. See, for me, I have my older Bose Sound Sport earbuds connected to my laptop, and my Pixel Buds connected to my phone. It's also just easier for me with that setup.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I recently purchased a sit/stand desk for work, and it includes a wireless charging spot on it. Remembered that the case for the Google Pixel Buds 2 supports wireless charging, so that was a nice little bonus. I can drop the case on it when I'm on my treadmill, and have it fully charged after my workout.
1200b7ee52312cb97368adb83bc83b27.jpg

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a sit/stand desk for work, and it includes a wireless charging spot on it. Remembered that the case for the Google Pixel Buds 2 supports wireless charging, so that was a nice little bonus. I can drop the case on it when I'm on my treadmill, and have it fully charged after my workout.
1200b7ee52312cb97368adb83bc83b27.jpg

Yes, absolutely. I've used wireless charging just a few times on my Pixel Buds charging case. I usually just plug it into my regular USB Type-C Pixel Charger, and it charges up just fine. The wireless charging is a great cool idea, when and if you need to use it.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, absolutely. I've used wireless charging just a few times on my Pixel Buds charging case. I usually just plug it into my regular USB Type-C Pixel Charger, and it charges up just fine. The wireless charging is a great cool idea, when and if you need to use it.
I haven't tried it with my pixel 5 yet but it's a cool feature for sure!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice review! I've been considering these for a while, so this is good information that leans me further towards getting them.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Nice review! I've been considering these for a while, so this is good information that leans me further towards getting them.

Hey, thank you very much! I really appreciate it! Yes, there is no one perfect set of truly wireless earbuds. We can all agree upon that! Between Galaxy buds pro, pixel buds, AirPods pro, the list goes on and on and on. However, for the money, the pixel buds as long as you've got a pixel phone are awesome! As long as you're going to deal with a hiccup here and there. I Will admit that I have had some frustrations with mine, but overall, they are excellent! The reason why I don't need active noise cancellation, is I need to hear my background surroundings. Also, the fact that active noise cancellation uses a substantially more battery power! I will say that if you choose to get your pixel buds, the feature of Google Assistant built right into them like I said, is awesome!

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I have a question for those of you who have used them for quite a while. I usually only use my left earbud while Im at work so I can use my right ear for my work phone.

Since I have only used the left one this might sound like a silly question. I find that I only get a couple hours of use from full charge until I hear the beeps telling me the battery is low(typically around 14%).

I feel like this is really short amount of time. Would it last longer if I was using both at the same time instead?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I have a question for those of you who have used them for quite a while. I usually only use my left earbud while Im at work so I can use my right ear for my work phone.

Since I have only used the left one this might sound like a silly question. I find that I only get a couple hours of use from full charge until I hear the beeps telling me the battery is low(typically around 14%).

I feel like this is really short amount of time. Would it last longer if I was using both at the same time instead?

Hey not a silly question at all! I can't imagine that using just one ear bud at a time would decrease the battery life at all. Now, if you take long phone calls on the earbud, that'll use up a lot of battery at once. Just using one bud at time though, you should be absolutely fine.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey not a silly question at all! I can't imagine that using just one ear bud at a time would decrease the battery life at all. Now, if you take long phone calls on the earbud, that'll use up a lot of battery at once. Just using one bud at time though, you should be absolutely fine.
I'm using the earbud connected to my laptop watching YouTube during down time. I only use my left one and get only about 2 hours. Is that normal?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the earbud connected to my laptop watching YouTube during down time. I only use my left one and get only about 2 hours. Is that normal?

I mean the only thing that I can thing of is that maybe if the earbud is connected to your laptop vs your phone, that might drain more battery. I don't use my Pixel buds on my laptop. I've got another set of earbuds for my laptop. If you do see only 2 hours of YouTube playback with one earbud, I'd call Google customer support up, and ask them that question. Honestly though, that doesn't sound right to me either.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I mean the only thing that I can thing of is that maybe if the earbud is connected to your laptop vs your phone, that might drain more battery. I don't use my Pixel buds on my laptop. I've got another set of earbuds for my laptop. If you do see only 2 hours of YouTube playback with one earbud, I'd call Google customer support up, and ask them that question. Honestly though, that doesn't sound right to me either.
Just had an hour and half zoom meeting. Both buds were at 100% when I took them out of the case. This below is when the meeting was over.
ad83cb6eb7a2bcb2365de8a85fe7cd79.jpg

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just had an hour and half zoom meeting. Both buds were at 100% when I took them out of the case. This below is when the meeting was over.
ad83cb6eb7a2bcb2365de8a85fe7cd79.jpg

Yeah, I'll be honest, that's really weird. I mean to drain that much for just an hour and a half of BT audio regarding a Zoom meeting. I suggest uploading that to the Pixel Support team on the Google Pixel buds product support page. Hopefully, you'll be able to get better support there. Let e know what happens though, ok!

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'll be honest, that's really weird. I mean to drain that much for just an hour and a half of BT audio regarding a Zoom meeting. I suggest uploading that to the Pixel Support team on the Google Pixel buds product support page. Hopefully, you'll be able to get better support there. Let e know what happens though, ok!

I literally just spend an hour on tech support chat trying to diagnose and reset the buds. This was really frustrating. I have to keep using them for a bit and report back to them.