Am I the only one holding out for more memory?

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I owned the Nexus One back in the day, loved it for a long time. Then jumped ship to apple and got an iPhone 4, then an iPhone 4s. But now I am beyond bored with the never updating iOS and the horrible direction apple is heading in with their mobile market. Anyway, I would LOVE an N4, get back to my Android and Google roots, but I can not rationalize buying a 16gb phone with no expandable memory. I take a lot of pictures and use spotify extensively. Between those two I take up over 30GBs on my iPhone. The memory is a real deal breaker for me.

All this hype of the sell out is tempting but I need to hold off.

When do you think Google will make a 32gb/64gb N4? Am I the only one holding out here?

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This all comes down to personal preference...I take tons of photos with the iP5 also prior with the 4S and I just clear out my Photostream monthly (import what I want to iPhoto). There are ways on Android to dump photos on the go. Drive, Dropbox, Google+ etc....

16 is fine with all the cloud services available (for me of course)

Also, I can always sell the 16 if and when a 32 comes available (if even needed)

bang bang

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I seriously doubt we'll see a 64GB model but like with the Nexus 7, more than likely we'll see the 8GB model get sh!t canned and the 16GB discounted to $299 and 32GB for $349.

I would also like to have a 32GB because I also download my Spotify playlists model but 16GB will have to do for now.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for the bigger size a la Nexus 7, or Play/Wallet credit, gratis shipping, or some other promotion. It'll happen, trust me.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Why doesn't Google and other wireless phone makers ASK THE CONSUMER how much space they want before they set things like that?

I think a phone maker would be very successful if they polled users on and off carriers and made a phone with the things the poll revealed were wanted.

Even if they only released 3 phones a year, include the features people want and watch it sell quicker than 2 dollar crack

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Why doesn't Google and other wireless phone makers ASK THE CONSUMER how much space they want before they set things like that?

A. Because everyone is going to say they want 128GB.
B. Does Google appear to be hurting for sales of this unit? Sounds like they UNDERESTIMATED demand, not the other way.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
In all reality I think this was planned out well in advance and is driven to bring about Google's end goal of driving us to more cloud computing and use of tools like Drive, Google+ and the like. I have moved over to using Google?s Cloud based solutions for some time and now really enjoy the convenience and ease of their use. I have access to all of my data regardless of where I am at as long as I have an internet connection and a portal to get online. I use the Google+ app to upload all my photos too, which is a lot, and never have to worry about lost or missing pictures. All of my documents, important data is stored on Drive and I can access it all from any device.

I was grandfathered in with 100 GB of data storage for a ridiculously low yearly cost.

I have the 8 GB N7 and would have been great with the 8 GB N4. For all intents and purposes I have 108 GB on both devices with the Cloud based data.

From a business perspective Google wants you to use their Cloud based solutions to keep you from churning to another provider. Once all your data is there it would be very cumbersome to try to move it to another provider. If it was all on your phone you could easily move away from Google. I personally do not mind using Google, they offer great cutting edge technology and don't lock me into their system with open sourcing. It's a win win for all involved. It may be an adjustment to change your current storage thoughts but it works and provides greater efficiency in the end.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
In all reality I think this was planned out well in advance and is driven to bring about Google's end goal of driving us to more cloud computing and use of tools like Drive, Google+ and the like. I have moved over to using Google?s Cloud based solutions for some time and now really enjoy the convenience and ease of their use. I have access to all of my data regardless of where I am at as long as I have an internet connection and a portal to get online. I use the Google+ app to upload all my photos too, which is a lot, and never have to worry about lost or missing pictures. All of my documents, important data is stored on Drive and I can access it all from any device.

I was grandfathered in with 100 GB of data storage for a ridiculously low yearly cost.

I have the 8 GB N7 and would have been great with the 8 GB N4. For all intents and purposes I have 108 GB on both devices with the Cloud based data.

From a business perspective Google wants you to use their Cloud based solutions to keep you from churning to another provider. Once all your data is there it would be very cumbersome to try to move it to another provider. If it was all on your phone you could easily move away from Google. I personally do not mind using Google, they offer great cutting edge technology and don't lock me into their system with open sourcing. It's a win win for all involved. It may be an adjustment to change your current storage thoughts but it works and provides greater efficiency in the end.

Would have been great if providers didn't cut off the unlimited data.

That's the big flaw with the cloud

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
In all reality I think this was planned out well in advance and is driven to bring about Google's end goal of driving us to more cloud computing and use of tools like Drive, Google+ and the like.

And you're right. This is precisely why the Nexus 4 comes with what it does. They are giving you enough memory to be a solid cache of the photos you might take during a heavy-use day and/or enough media to store between being able to access WiFi to load more.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Let's also be clear, too.

The Nexus 4 isn't the first Nexus device to ship without expandable memory.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I think a phone maker would be very successful if they polled users on and off carriers and made a phone with the things the poll revealed were wanted.
I think Google knows how to run focus groups. I think Google knows how to pay attention to the Android community. I think Google knows exactly what they're doing. Assumptions that they don't seem pretty naive IMHO.
I personally wouldn't hold my breath on that.
I'm not. They could just soldier on with sales of the current offering for a year. But ... big BUT ... what they did with the Nexus 7 line in just four months gives me something solid to hang my predictions on.

Black Friday's coming soon ... we''ve heard in past years that "this year is the year of the tablet," but I suspect we really haven't had that yet ... lots can happen in the next 3 months. Granted, you may have insight that we can't fathom and an NDA prohibits you from divulging, but I still think it's a very easy flip of a switch to introduce a holiday shopper bait promo on this years sparkling new line of Nexus devices. We shall see.... :)

... I have the 8 GB N7 and would have been great with the 8 GB N4. For all intents and purposes I have 108 GB on both devices with the Cloud based data.
If you'd bought Horn and Dark Knight Rises on the Play store during the 25? sale like I did, you'd have a different story, me thinks. :p Not that I disagree with you.

You're on T-Mobile. You have unlimited data, it's just not all at 4G speeds. ;) I'm here to help you get your facts straight. (jk)

Last edited:

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

So complain to your provider about the lousy service they provide.
That's Google's end goal here, to break the American carrier's restrictive business model. Google's entire business plan is based on universal unlimited access to data.

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I owned the Nexus One back in the day, loved it for a long time. Then jumped ship to apple and got an iPhone 4, then an iPhone 4s. But now I am beyond bored with the never updating iOS and the horrible direction apple is heading in with their mobile market. Anyway, I would LOVE an N4, get back to my Android and Google roots, but I can not rationalize buying a 16gb phone with no expandable memory. I take a lot of pictures and use spotify extensively. Between those two I take up over 30GBs on my iPhone. The memory is a real deal breaker for me.

All this hype of the sell out is tempting but I need to hold off.

When do you think Google will make a 32gb/64gb N4? Am I the only one holding out here?

I believe this is purely a matter of perspective, and what one WANTS as opposed to NEEDS.

From one perspective, yes 16GB is pretty underwhelming in today's day and age (albeit manageable).

Looking at it objectively though, you are paying ~350$ for a DEVICE FROM THE GODS. This thing is a movie player, music player, GPS, internet browser, and camera all rolled in one. THIS WAS UTTERLY UNIMAGINABLE only 100 years ago. So next time you think about 16GB storage being too little, think about you trying to justify that to a squire in the 1600s. He would probably stab you with his iron dagger outright for even questioning such a holy piece of brick.

At least, that's what I do. I start thinking how many HD movies I can cram into 16GB, but then I remember that I am grateful for even being able to look at such a technological monolith of a phone.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I believe this is purely a matter of perspective, and what one WANTS as opposed to NEEDS.

From one perspective, yes 16GB is pretty underwhelming in today's day and age (albeit manageable).

Looking at it objectively though, you are paying ~350$ for a DEVICE FROM THE GODS. This thing is a movie player, music player, GPS, internet browser, and camera all rolled in one. THIS WAS UTTERLY UNIMAGINABLE only 100 years ago. So next time you think about 16GB storage being too little, think about you trying to justify that to a squire in the 1600s. He would probably stab you with his iron dagger outright for even questioning such a holy piece of brick.

At least, that's what I do. I start thinking how many HD movies I can cram into 16GB, but then I remember that I am grateful for even being able to look at such a technological monolith of a phone.

What? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress