Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Default Re: 'within' 3 weeks till the next shipments of nexus 4 (email inside) (UKand US now)

at least people get back their shipping cost. that's a bonus. people complained about not having a backorder. now when they get it they complain again.

btw, I am back ordered too.
    Ziptied likes this.

Default Re: 'within' 3 weeks till the next shipments of nexus 4 (email inside) (UKand US now)

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    people complained about not having a backorder. now when they get it they complain again.
    Really? Why would you complain that there isn't a backorder? That is odd to me

Another backorder here in boston. didn't get my order 'in' until 4pm-ish EST.. bummer. and to think I was contemplating the odds of delivery being friday or monday, haha.

I have an order placed for a 16GB N4 and 16GB N10 at 11:53 EST and another 8GB N4 at 1:13 EST. I called google to see if they could tell me which order is delayed, but the CSR didn't know. He said everything that is going to ship out in the first batch will be shipped out by tonight, so just check back tomorrow morning. I guess I'll find out then.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.2.1; CM7.2(nook)

Got the backorder email here too....ordered ~3:30 eastern in North Carolina. Really Google, how many of these things did you have on hand to sell? I'm thinking like 1000. This launch just boggles the mind. On the plus side, free shipping!! We should petition that they throw in a bumper case for free when it finally ships in 3 weeks.

I got the same email but ill just cancel mine. Its no problem I'll just get it when its available again. In the meantime I'll be enjoying my nexus 7 even more

Quote Originally Posted by Pre-dawn raid View Post
    Got the backorder email here too....ordered ~3:30 eastern in North Carolina. Really Google, how many of these things did you have on hand to sell? I'm thinking like 1000. This launch just boggles the mind. On the plus side, free shipping!! We should petition that they throw in a bumper case for free when it finally ships in 3 weeks.
    I would prefer a free wireless charger ...bumper is cheap! lol
    Google Nexus 5 - Straight Talk
    Previously - Nexus 4 | Motorola Atrix 4G | ...and various others
    qnet and xhausted like this.

They will be returning the shipping to the charged bank account. I spoke with the rep right after i received the back order email. A free bumper case would be nice! lol (dreaming)
    Quote Originally Posted by toonhead85 View Post
    To everyone who is saying Google should have done this or done that, you need to remember:

We are buying a phone, that for all intents and purposes, should cost over $500. Google is selling it for $299 and contract free. At that rate, everyone and their mother will buy one, and you can bet you buns that some of the units purchased will end up on eBay - Think back to the PS3 launch deal.

The thing that gets me, though I wouldn't change it - because I know I have paid and everything, is that I have already been charged for the entire order I placed. Thats the Bumper and the N4 (8GB). It kills me that 2 hours ago when I got up I was expecting Shipping info, I instead got this email with the dreaded "Well send you a notification when your order has shipped and will credit the shipping charges."

How will my shipping charges be credited? Google Play Credit? A refund? How can I go from delivery in 3-5 business days to back ordered to expected to ship within 3 weeks?

Google, you have my money. Keep it and make my order right... Please!

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Ordered mine @ 11:46 EST

Haven't received a back order email or a shipping email. I'm sitting in limbo.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Order Date: November 13, 2012 8:37:23 AM UTC-8

No backorder e-mail but also no shipping info. I hope this comes through, my One X auction ends in about an hour. I really don't want to rock my wife's old pink Pantech slider.
    codeda likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post

Sent from my Nexus 7

Same here. Got my order in at 11:49 EST

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post

Sent from my Nexus 7
    ordered mine 11:35am EST on 11/13 and still waiting on email of either shipping or delay. I'm in Northeast, NJ.
    Credit Card charge is pending, Google Wallet is Pending and Google Play says shipping estimate: 11/15.

Global Posts
    1,675 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesmiles View Post
    This is definitely not true. Ordered at 11:49 EST and received the backorder email.
    I ordered at 11:38AM EST so this has me worried. It's hard to believe that 11 minutes makes that big of a difference. I'm just waiting and wondering what's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by toonhead85 View Post
    How will my shipping charges be credited? Google Play Credit? A refund? How can I go from delivery in 3-5 business days to back ordered to expected to ship within 3 weeks?
    Yes. Personally, I'm happy to have one ordered even if it does happen to ship later. However, the one thing I do wish is that Google would communicate details more clearly. Ambiguity is not something I like in transactions.

Is anyone's wallet or play account updated since receiving the email?

Would it say in the google play account if it's backordered??? I didn't get an email and I hope I don't get one...

Quote Originally Posted by thesocialshift View Post
    Yes. Personally, I'm happy to have one ordered even if it does happen to ship later. However, the one thing I do wish is that Google would communicate details more clearly. Ambiguity is not something I like in transactions.

Mine has not been updated yet as of 5.10 pm EST

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thesocialshift View Post
    Mine still says complete : /
    Never did say back ordered
    "Supervisor" on phone says it says back ordered on there end and not sure why it doesn't on my end
    Great job Google

ROM
    Stock

Damn it. The problem I see with all that is, that there are less devices to buy in the second batch. I think I'll have to give it three month till I can buy a N4 with no hassel. That is sad. But you really can't blame anyone for this. Wish I could just backorder a N4.

Cheers.

PS: I hope all the people selling their devices on Craigslist and eBay get theirs backorderd, so they will **** off potential buyers and still have to pay eBay for listing it.

Default Re: 'within' 3 weeks till the next shipments of nexus 4 (email inside) (UK)

They still sending out backorder e-mails?

Radio silence here. Nothing from Google, nothing from UPS, 11/15 expected date...

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.2.1

A**holes..... they just sent me an email that i need to wait 3 more weeks..... bunch of liers.... when i was placing the order it said 3-5 days...... Google is crap...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

Default Re: 'within' 3 weeks till the next shipments of nexus 4 (email inside) (UK)

I ordered an 8GB at 12:05 EST and it will be delivered tomorrow.
    I ordered a 16GB at 2:03 EST and it is back ordered.

Damn, b/c my 8GB auction ends tonight and I'd rather just keep that one and cancel the 16GB instead. If it takes 3 weeks +, I'll have to grab another SIM card from T-Mobile and its just getting annoying, the way this whole process has shaken down for the Nexus 4.

From a customer facing stand point, Google messed this up. They should have gone with a pre-order system so that people who got their orders through wouldn't have assumed they were actually going to get the phone shipped on the 15th like the order status told us.

From a forecasting stand point, 3 weeks is actually amazingly short. If you think about it, how would you have forecasted the demand for this product? It's not like they would be able to take a poll and ask how many people are going to buy this thing. For the US market, I guess I would have broken this thing into chunks of demand.

1) Demand generated from people who were done with their contracts and looking to upgrade. They could have looked at all the people who have gone into the play store with their android phones and then counted forward two years from their first use. All the people who are 2 year eligible would in theory be able to purchase this phone. Of course not all the people who are eligible would buy the phone and some people would willingly break their contracts so that introduces some more variability into your demand right there.

2) Demand generated from people who have never had Android and want to get into the ecosystem. I'd guess they'd need to look at market data and see how many smart phone users there are and how many aren't on Android. They'd need market research data to see what type of turn ratios they see in the typical population. Again, not exact science here.

3) Demand generated from people who have never had a smartphone. They'll need market research data here too.

Those are just three high level chunks that came into my head with a ton of variability in each one. I think to be off on their forecast just by three weeks is actually quite amazing. They probably had hedged with parts suppliers to keep greater safety stock just in case something like this happened. That right there is probably the difference between us getting the phones in 3 weeks vs 3 months.

I'm not really mad at them for the delay, more like pouting like a little kid because I can't get my shiny toy right now, but I at least understand that it's hard to make the right amount of product at the right time. Some of you may argue that they should have just made a billion of these things. Google may not have problems with market cap or working capital, but all the parts suppliers that feed into LG may. We don't have their P&Ls to look at. Another potential issue is somewhere along the line, there was a capacity constraint. Maybe it was the screen, or the screws, or the board, or the flash memory...we just don't have any idea from where we sit. It's easy to sit at our computers and yell, but in a real world supply chain, it's hard to get right. That's one thing that Apple has down that Google may never get to.

Just a rant while I'm waiting out my three weeks...

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by limdoug View Post
    From a customer facing stand point, Google messed this up. They should have gone with a pre-order system so that people who got their orders through wouldn't have assumed they were actually going to get the phone shipped on the 15th like the order status told us.

From a forecasting stand point, 3 weeks is actually amazingly short. If you think about it, how would you have forecasted the demand for this product? It's not like they would be able to take a poll and ask how many people are going to buy this thing. For the US market, I guess I would have broken this thing into chunks of demand.

1) Demand generated from people who were done with their contracts and looking to upgrade. They could have looked at all the people who have gone into the play store with their android phones and then counted forward two years from their first use. All the people who are 2 year eligible would in theory be able to purchase this phone. Of course not all the people who are eligible would buy the phone and some people would willingly break their contracts so that introduces some more variability into your demand right there.

2) Demand generated from people who have never had Android and want to get into the ecosystem. I'd guess they'd need to look at market data and see how many smart phone users there are and how many aren't on Android. They'd need market research data to see what type of turn ratios they see in the typical population. Again, not exact science here.

3) Demand generated from people who have never had a smartphone. They'll need market research data here too.

Those are just three high level chunks that came into my head with a ton of variability in each one. I think to be off on their forecast just by three weeks is actually quite amazing. They probably had hedged with parts suppliers to keep greater safety stock just in case something like this happened. That right there is probably the difference between us getting the phones in 3 weeks vs 3 months.

I'm not really mad at them for the delay, more like pouting like a little kid because I can't get my shiny toy right now, but I at least understand that it's hard to make the right amount of product at the right time. Some of you may argue that they should have just made a billion of these things. Google may not have problems with market cap or working capital, but all the parts suppliers that feed into LG may. We don't have their P&Ls to look at. Another potential issue is somewhere along the line, there was a capacity constraint. Maybe it was the screen, or the screws, or the board, or the flash memory...we just don't have any idea from where we sit. It's easy to sit at our computers and yell, but in a real world supply chain, it's hard to get right. That's one thing that Apple has down that Google may never get to.

Just a rant while I'm waiting out my three weeks...
    Yeah, cause you know, there definitely wasn't a signup option available on their page where they could gauge by the number of subscribers.

Google, the company that offers analytics, can't estimate the demand for a product?

People need to stop cutting Google slack on this one. There is simply no way a company of its caliber should have royally effed this launch up. No excuses, nothing.
    Thanked by:
    jd914 
    jd914 likes this.

Got the back order message. Confirmation email came in 12:34pm EST. I think I got mine off a system error. Not sure to cancel or not.

Quote Originally Posted by squadz View Post
    Yeah, cause you know, there definitely wasn't a signup option available on their page where they could gauge by the number of subscribers.

Google, the company that offers analytics, can't estimate the demand for a product?

People need to stop cutting Google slack on this one. There is simply no way a company of its caliber should have royally effed this launch up. No excuses, nothing.
    I'm saying that they did estimate it and I think they did a pretty good job of it. Do you really think there's a company in the world that could estimate it so well that everyone gets what they want? That's impossible. I'm guessing they used the signup option as an input into their forecast. That being said, I didn't sign up for it and I know a host of people didn't either. Even if they got the demand right, do you think they can just snap their fingers and everything would be made? It's not like LG is the biggest company in the world where they can make every single thing. I'm guessing they outsource supplies and that's another point of variation.

I guess I'm trying to say that if you don't have a supply chain background, it's easy to just assume that things should be perfect. Just trying to give a little perspective from a guy with supply chain experience.

World class organizations like Apple end up with backorders too.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast