Screen will not turn back on after phone call end

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Little nuisance that's been happening to me today.. The screen turns off as it should when I answer a call and bring the phone to my ear, but after the call it will not turn back on like it should when I remove the phone from my ear. Seems like I have to wait for the other party to hang up, then hit the power button twice (the first time I hear the 'click' that you get when the screen turns off, even though it wasn't on, the second one turns it on to the unlock screen). Not sure if it could possibly be related to my number getting ported to Google Voice today as well and setting it up to forward calls to my phone.

So I ask the community..
a) Have you witnessed this bug at all? If so have you found the solution?
b) Regardless of the answer to (a), please note whether you use Google Voice for your calls or not. This will help me narrow it down I hope.

Thanks guys :)

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know but I've read a few people either put a screen protector on or didn't take the original one off. It messes with the sensor. Just a thought.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know but I've read a few people either put a screen protector on or didn't take the original one off. It messes with the sensor. Just a thought.

Oo I did just do that today too, crap I wonder if that's it. Thanks bud, I'll see if anyone else can comment.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Burleson90

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
More than likely the case. It was an issue with my S2 and another forum member here had the same issue with his screen protector in his nexus

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
yep if your protector dosnt have a cutout in the top right thats the problem

Top left I think you mean right? The camera is on the top right, there's a cutout for that, looks like the sensors are on the left tho, no?

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Not a bug to my knowledge. My Nexus S did this too. You'll need to press power to wake the screen then hang up.

Not using Gvoice. :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my new phone I received. It's a screen protector issue. Screen will just turn black so I can turn off the phone after I leave message or after a phone call. It's really annoying.

Locate the proximity sensor (see Nexus 4 hardware - Nexus Help ) and trim your screen protector to ensure that it does not cover the sensor.

Does that help?

Yep it was the screen protector, and trimming it around the sensor helped but it looked pretty ugly, so I just ditched the protector.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's Gorilla Glass anyway; I can't imagine the screen protector will do much good (unless you are in the habit of running your diamond-studded pinky ring across the glass...).

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's Gorilla Glass anyway; I can't imagine the screen protector will do much good (unless you are in the habit of running your diamond-studded pinky ring across the glass...).

Glass scratches, glass breaks.. Gorilla Glass is tougher but can scratch just like any other. I still keep the phone in a slim tpu case, and always alone in a pocket, and just am careful with it in general. If it happens to get scratched then it's my own fault for not having the protector on it. Seen too many stories in these forums to believe that Gorilla Glass is invincible or anything.

68laurieann

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue this weekend when I brought a brand new Droid Razr Maxx HD home from the Verizon store. It occurred with the very first phone call I received. I did NOT have a screen protector on. Every call did the same. I returned the phone the next day.

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My screen doesn't come back on during a call if the screen goes off only if I have headphones in when the call starts or if its on speakerphone. The only way for me to turn the screen on is if I hit the power button. But I set that button to hang up calls. So it hangs up.

Its becoming a nuisance. It has nothing to do with my sensors because it comes back on just fine if I'm not using headphones or speakerphone

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yup, like other people said it's probably the screen protector. Very less likely but it might be the case for specific ones. Try it when you remove the screen protector

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I too had the same problem with My earlier Samsung touch smart phone running on Android OS and Facing same issue with other New Samsung touch smart phone running on Android.
I dont have screen protector either. From others post, i think it might be flaw with touch enabled phone (hardware issue) or Android OS (software issue).

seontsy

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I using Samsung Note 3, having this same problem, but problem happened after screen protector and casing install for 2-3 month, so i think will be other issues. anyone can help?

Turn off vibration will lost the most important function for me, what is Haptic feedback?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I using Samsung Note 3, having this same problem, but problem happened after screen protector and casing install for 2-3 month, so i think will be other issues. anyone can help?

Turn off vibration will lost the most important function for me, what is Haptic feedback?
Remove the screen protector and case to verify they aren't causing the issue. Screen protectors can fade, yellow, and scratch which can affect the proximity sensor, even though you may not notice it when looking at it.

Haptic feedback is the quick vibration you get when touching the screen or touch typing individual letters. Personally, I have hard time believing vibration causes an issue with the proximity detector.

Proximity detector can be tested with an app called Phone Tester or something similar, if you are stock, did a factory reset, removed the screen protector/case, and run this and the values for the proximity sensor don't change (always says near or far) then you may want to consider getting a warranty replacement.

Proximity Sensor stuck in FAR (screen stays on all the time when in call) - most likely a bad or miscalibrated sensor
Proximity Sensor stuck in NEAR (screen goes black when in call and won't come on during call) - often blocked sensor or being interfered with by screen protector, case, or even dust/dirt between the glass and sensor that sneaked in by the ear piece opening, can also be a bad sensor.

The HTC Rezound used to have a terrible time with the sensor, and someone created a calibration app for it that required root and some time to play around with settings, and it fixed it for a large number of people so there is some wiggle room here, but these apps are device (or sensor) specific. ZTE, a phone manufacturer, actually has a calibration app in the Play Store for their devices, wish all manufacturers did this... To bad Samsung or LG doesn't have these tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya