Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    Hmm, read this three times and still a little confused. By full GV account, what are we talking? I already have a GV phone number, though I don't use it. Is that what you're referring to by full account? So If I wanted to test this out I would have 3 numbers? 111-1111 would be verizon, 222-2222 would be GV and 333-3333 would be ST. Forward 111-1111 to 222-2222 via Verizon settings. Then go to GV, and forward 222-2222 to 333-3333 so that my ST phone would actually ring when someone calls 111-1111? Seems logical, but crazy at the same time. How would voicemail, sms and outgoing calls work if this is what your talking about? Ideally, it would be transparent on incoming calls 111-1111. If outgoing showed a 333-3333, it's not that big a deal for now, but I would need functional sms and voicemail via the 111-1111 number. Or I could just buy an N4 and say screw it. lol
    Because you want to use GV for your voicemail (but not as a phone number), you *shouldn't* have to port/direct anything to them. Install the GV app on the N4/ST phone. Set the phone to use Google Voice as the voicemail only. Then forward (NOT port) the VZW calls to your N4/ST. When someone calls your business number, the VZW wil just forward it to the N4/ST phone. It rings then goes to voicemail, it'll then use Google Voice's VM just like your VZW phone does now. That said, you'll still need to carry the VZW phone concurrently so you can make outgoing calls/texts from the number that everybody knows.

If/when you decide to keep the N4/ST, port the number from VZW to ST thus cancelling your VZW service.

Now, this ALL assumes that you can successfully use Google Voice with an N4/ST service. I'm assuming yes but I don't know for sure.

OK, that makes sense I think. lol I'll probably just place outgoing calls from the ST number as that's not important. It's just incoming has to stay the same. I'm going to pick one up and give it a shot. I'm really looking forward to this! Thanks for all the help.

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I did my homework. When I tried to sign up on their website, they wouldn't accept the IMEI for my N4. If people are lying about their IMEIs are doing other crap to get around the system, that's on them.

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    By the way, you may want to do your homework next time before posting incorrect information.

1) Nexus 4 runs on Solavei, that's no secret.

2) They are not a pyramid scheme... you can pay for your service and nothing more, if you wish. But if you start referring people, they refund part of your money (every 3 people is $20 off your bill, I believe). But the point is using their service does not require you to refer friends.

Solavei runs on DC-HSPA+ and allows full 42mbps speeds up to 4GB before throttling. Very viable option; I'd get if if there was T-Mobile coverage in my area.

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

For some reason, neither these settings nor the ones provided by ST are working for me. I can call and send SMS messages, but I have no data connectivity. I have signal bars, but no data symbol like an H. What's the dealeo?
    Quote Originally Posted by rclifton View Post
    I use these (tried to link and it didn't work so I just copied them below).

Name: StraightTalk ATT
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMSC proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication Type: Not set
    APN type: default,supl,mms
    UPDATE: I was able to get online with these settings that I found on a ST support forum:

Name: Straight Talk
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    Port: 80
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication Type: None
    APN type: default,supl
    APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

However, Speedtest.net doesn't work on the download cycle. It reports 6 kbps(!!!!) down with ~1300 kbps up. Yeah, right. I am able to stream HQ YouTube better than my g/f's 1.5 Mbps DSL can with no buffering, so it's obviously running faster. Any suggestions?

UPDATE #2: Further Googling found a thread here advising to delete the proxy from the APN settings. After a reboot, Speedtest works. While I'm sure many will scoff at the 3800 kbps result, keep in mind this is NINETEEN TIMES(!!!!) faster than what Trudge is delivering. I'm not kidding, in the same spot, my GS2 gave a meager 200 kbps.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    Thanked by:

Has anyone bought a refill from Ebay? Looks like you could save on taxes-fees and shipping. Hear is a link of one that closed.
    Straight Talk Unlimited Text, Talk, and Web Access 180 Day Service - Card PIN | eBay
    castroyy likes this.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb#AC View Post
    Has anyone bought a refill from Ebay? Looks like you could save on taxes-fees and shipping. Hear is a link of one that closed.
    Straight Talk Unlimited Text, Talk, and Web Access 180 Day Service - Card PIN | eBay

I have not seen those before.. However I just joined ST last week.. I tried T-Mobile first but their coverage is bad by me.. AT&T is better but still slow speeds.. If ST works out I will check into those pre-paid cards!!! Thanks for the heads up!

This thread has been amazingly useful. Thanks everyone! I was going to use Net10 with my nexus 4, but it looks like you all are happy with Straight Talk - i'll give that a shot. I'm going to go from Sprint to ST (ATT) using my new Nexus 4 (when it delivers!). Should I port my number from Sprint to GV or to ST? I have never ported a number before, so call me a n00b I'm guessing porting my number to ST would be best because then I can receive calls when I don't have data coverage?

A lot of talk about no roaming scares me a little. I don't care about roaming data - I can do without this. But what about roaming voice? I would prefer my phone to be able to make/receive calls when I am out of ATT's range, but I guess that isn't a deal breaker for me because of the cost savings.

Has anyone activated the LTE band for the Nexus 4 to use with ATT using ST? I would like to do this and get the higher speeds if it works. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been discussed in this thread!

With Sprint right now my Gvoice works seamlessly. Am I going to need another app to make calls for free? I read something about talkatone being needed with Gvoice to make free calls over wifi. Is that still the case? I am usually on wifi and would rather make my calls through that and not use my minutes!

Thanks again everyone. I lurk here all the time, but don't have too much to contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Arnold View Post
    Should I port my number from Sprint to GV or to ST? I have never ported a number before, so call me a n00b I'm guessing porting my number to ST would be best because then I can receive calls when I don't have data coverage?

Yes, port it directly to ST once you've decided it's for you.

A lot of talk about no roaming scares me a little. I don't care about roaming data - I can do without this. But what about roaming voice? I would prefer my phone to be able to make/receive calls when I am out of ATT's range, but I guess that isn't a deal breaker for me because of the cost savings.

There is NO roaming, period, on ST. There is roaming calls (but no data) on both prepaid of Tmobile and AT&T.

Has anyone activated the LTE band for the Nexus 4 to use with ATT using ST? I would like to do this and get the higher speeds if it works. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been discussed in this thread!

Will never work on USA LTE. Wrong frequency for every US LTE provider. Plus. it's not approved/legal per the feds

With Sprint right now my Gvoice works seamlessly. Am I going to need another app to make calls for free? I read something about talkatone being needed with Gvoice to make free calls over wifi. Is that still the case? I am usually on wifi and would rather make my calls through that and not use my minutes!

You get unlimited minutes, with ST. Why bother with VoIP? But yes, Tapatone over WiFi via Gmail (you have to enable chat in Gmail first) works fine.

Thanks again everyone. I lurk here all the time, but don't have too much to contribute!
    Thanked by:
    Brad Arnold likes this.

Well, you are pretty much awesome. Thank you for the quick reply and information! Too bad about LTE - not a deal breaker for me though. I am surprised a little because I read that it works with band 4 and that is ATT from what I read, but I'm just parroting what I read and not what I understand.

Too bad about roaming - I'll look into what tmobile prepaid offers. Maybe I can buy a SIM with a low amount of minutes on it as a backup for when I travel - as long as its not another monthly fee. I can do the research on that though!

It just slipped my mind with unlimited minutes for ST, so you are right. The only situation where it might be useful is when I don't get service, but have wifi. You said Tapaton, but I think you meant talkatone. I'm sure i can figure this out when my phone arrives.

Thanks again!

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

i plan on using the n4 with straight talk att but i'm a little confused with the proxy. over here (How to set up the right APN on your Nexus 4 | Android Central) it has it filled out, but i've heard that you shouldn't put it because it blocks apps like speedtest. do you enter the proxy and then delete it later or just not put it there in the first place?

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    i plan on using the n4 with straight talk att but i'm a little confused with the proxy. over here (How to set up the right APN on your Nexus 4 | Android Central) it has it filled out, but i've heard that you shouldn't put it because it blocks apps like speedtest. do you enter the proxy and then delete it later or just not put it there in the first place?
    Just don't put in in at all. Adding the proxy doesn't do anything except block certain apps like speedtest. You don't even need it in there.
    Thanked by 2:

Well, you are pretty much awesome. Thank you for the quick reply and information! Too bad about LTE - not a deal breaker for me though. I am surprised a little because I read that it works with band 4 and that is ATT from what I read, but I'm just parroting what I read and not what I understand.

No, ATT is not band 4. It's band 17 (if I remember right)

Too bad about roaming - I'll look into what tmobile prepaid offers. Maybe I can buy a SIM with a low amount of minutes on it as a backup for when I travel - as long as its not another monthly fee. I can do the research on that though!

I bought a Tmobile SIM with the 1500 min/text and 30 megs of data for $30. Used it for one month in a throw away flip. Didn't autorenew it at the end of the month. That was three months ago and I just logged into my account and the number/account is still there awaiting refilling. No clue how long it'll stay there if I don't fund it.

It just slipped my mind with unlimited minutes for ST, so you are right. The only situation where it might be useful is when I don't get service, but have wifi. You said Tapaton, but I think you meant talkatone. I'm sure i can figure this out when my phone arrives.

There's always Skype if you have to make WiFi calls and no setup to deal with like Talkatone.

Thanks again!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jpricesd View Post
    Just don't put in in at all. Adding the proxy doesn't do anything except block certain apps like speedtest. You don't even need it in there.
    that was the fastest reply i ever got

According to an article about the LTE.... "AT&T has no Cellular 850/PCS/AWS LTE deployed anywhere". I don't know what that means specifically, but I understand that it means the answer is a for sure NO for LTE usage

The Tmobile deal seems awesome, but I don't know if it is still available like that. At a quick glance it looks like a good deal would be 1,000 minutes for $100 that lasts for 1 year. The other lower minute ones only last 90 days. Prepaid Plans | Pay As You Go Pricing | Prepaid Cost per Minute | T-Mobile

Can you hotswap the SIM on the nexus 4, or do you have to turn the phone off first?

Quick edit to add - Great tip about Skype!

According to an article about the LTE.... "AT&T has no Cellular 850/PCS/AWS LTE deployed anywhere". I don't know what that means specifically, but I understand that it means the answer is a for sure NO for LTE usage

The Tmobile deal seems awesome, but I don't know if it is still available like that. At a quick glance it looks like a good deal would be 1,000 minutes for $100 that lasts for 1 year. The other lower minute ones only last 90 days. Prepaid Plans | Pay As You Go Pricing | Prepaid Cost per Minute | T-Mobile

You're looking at the no data dumphone page. Not even sure if these plans are available with a SIM only prepaid for use in a smartphone (you'd have to ask before dropping the $100). You want this page (assuming you want data): Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

Can you hotswap the SIM on the nexus 4, or do you have to turn the phone off first?

I'd turn it off. Why risk it?

Quick edit to add - Great tip about Skype!

Haha. Save time. Thought i'd ask!

I had ST before and am returning to Net10 or ST next month again

For clarification on roaming if you are using Net10/ST with AT&T Sim you get all of AT&T's go phone service + tracfone's roaming partners?

I know my last at&t phone would have the triangle showing roaming sometimes and it worked ok in my basement. If anyone has a more accurate map that zooms in then ST & Net10 that would be great also.

Also Net10 and ST have the exact same coverage as both are owned by tracfone? Net10 is 45/month with auto payments vs ST which can be had for around 43/month with 90 day cards? I believe that is the only big difference still?

Quote Originally Posted by mobileboost View Post
    I had ST before and am returning to Net10 or ST next month again

For clarification on roaming if you are using Net10/ST with AT&T Sim you get all of AT&T's go phone service + tracfone's roaming partners?

Straight from ST's FAQ:

Will my Straight Talk phone Roam?
    No, your Straight Talk phone won't roam, you will be able to enjoy nationwide coverage on one of Americas best networks, at the same price of a local call!

I know my last at&t phone would have the triangle showing roaming sometimes and it worked ok in my basement. If anyone has a more accurate map that zooms in then ST & Net10 that would be great also.

Also Net10 and ST have the exact same coverage as both are owned by tracfone? Net10 is 45/month with auto payments vs ST which can be had for around 43/month with 90 day cards? I believe that is the only big difference still?

With ST my AT&T phone was working with the blue triangle

Howard forums is claiming the following as what I am wondering

post paid + roaming partners
    pricing has not changed
    no accurate maps available.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Lollipop" 5.0 Stock

This thread has been amazingly useful. Thanks everyone! I was going to use Net10 with my nexus 4, but it looks like you all are happy with Straight Talk - i'll give that a shot. I'm going to go from Sprint to ST (ATT) using my new Nexus 4 (when it delivers!). Should I port my number from Sprint to GV or to ST? I have never ported a number before, so call me a n00b I'm guessing porting my number to ST would be best because then I can receive calls when I don't have data coverage?

Okay, this is going to be a small novel, but here goes....

Whether you port to ST or to GV is really up to you. With GV, you CAN receive calls whether or not you have data. Not having data doesn't prevent your phone from receiving a forwarded GV call. If you try to place a call without data, then the GV app won't be able to route your outbound call with your GV number. (Your call will go out using your ST-provided number.) There are ways around that issue. You can always call your GV number directly and then dial the number you wish to call, and it will be routed through GV that way. And there are apps in the Play Store that will automate that process. I used to do that before the latest update to the GV app (which seems more reliable now than it has been in the past). I ported my number from Sprint (integrated w/GV) to Google Voice (more on that in a bit).

It is true that ST doesn't roam. I use an AT&T-compatible SIM from ST and I haven't been without coverage yet. My coverage has been better than what I had with Sprint. Of course your mileage may vary. Location is everything. If AT&T doesn't work where you are, try a T-Mobile SIM. (If you've ported your number to GV, you won't even have to worry about re-porting your number if you decide to switch SIMs or carriers later.)

There is no LTE with ST yet. My 3G (HSPA+) speed on ST (AT&T) has been about 5-6Mbps, which is plenty fast for me...especially when I consider the abysmal slowness (0.5Mbps) I had with Sprint. If you absolutely require faster speed than HSPA+21 can provide, then you'll need to go with T-Mobile (which supports HSPA+42). Again, coverage varies by location. That's something you'll have to test. For me, I haven't missed it. I can do everything I need to do (streaming, etc.) with the coverage I'm getting on the AT&T-compatible SIM.

Now, back to the Sprint/GV integration... Since ST is unlimited voice and text, you don't really need to use GV to make free calls. GV by itself won't allow you to make free calls anyway, because GV is not a carrier. You would need a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) application, like GrooveIP, in combination with GV in order to make calls over the Internet (via VoIP). But again, since ST has unlimited voice and text, there's really no need, unless you intend to make international calls. Also, keep in mind that if you wish, you can always make calls from your computer via Google Talk. I do this a lot at work because I don't have very good coverage inside my office building (It's an old building with heavy shielding and lots of concrete. No one's carrier works very well, if at all.)

I chose to port my number from Sprint to GV. There are some things you'll need to consider if you do this:

1. First, you won't be able to send or receive MMS from your GV number. If that is a deal-breaker, then don't port your number to GV. There is no telling when Google will get around to adding that capability, but it doesn't appear to be any time soon.
    2. Second, if you want to text from your GV number, you will need to either use the GV app or use an app like GV Integration (I use this) to allow you to use the native messaging app (or GoSMS Pro) to do text messaging. Also, keep in mind, that data is required to send text via GV.
    3. Lastly, porting your Sprint/GV-integrated number to Google is easy, but it is not documented very well, because Sprint obviously doesn't want you to leave, and Google doesn't want to upset Sprint by telling people how to leave. Since, I've done it, I'll list the basic steps below.

Porting from Sprint/GV-integration to Google:

1. Once you have your new phone and SIM, you will be ready to do the porting. The first thing you will need to do is undo the Sprint/GV integration. Go into your Google Voice account page on your desktop and remove the integration. This is important. If you don't remove the integration, the porting process will be hampered.
    2. Follow Google's instructions (fill out the porting form) to port your number from Sprint to Google. It will cost $20 (one-time fee) to do the porting. That can be charged to your Google Wallet (online) account. DO NOT contact Sprint first to cancel service! If you do that you'll permanently lose your Sprint phone number. Instead, just fill out the Google porting form and work through the porting process. You'll be asked for your Sprint account number and the access PIN (the PIN that you use when calling Sprint's customer service). Once you provide that information, Google will contact Sprint for you, and they will port your number from Sprint.
    3. When you initiate the porting process, it may look like you're actually deleting your number. Don't worry, it's still there. You're starting a port and you'll be asked if you want to port the number or get a new one. You'll also be prompted to check off several acknowledgements about what you are doing, so that there is no misunderstanding. When you port your number to Google, you are immediately terminating your Sprint account/contract. Google just wants to make sure you realize that before proceeding.
    4. After you are notified by Google that the port is complete, test it out on GV, to ensure it's working. Normally, the company who gives up the number (Sprint in this case) will automatically cancel your service, but you can contact them a few days after porting, just to be sure your account is closed out. Remember that if you are still under contract with Sprint, early termination fees will apply.
    5. When you initiate the porting process, there will be a period of time (several hours) that your GV account will revert to a Google Voice Lite account (no dedicated phone number or text messaging capability). Don't worry. Your text messages and call history will remain intact. Once the porting process has completed, you'll regain your full functionality. Text messaging can take up to three days to start working again, but you'll be able to make calls right away. Just keep that in mind.

Now that I've scared you half-to-death about porting to Google Voice, I will tell you that I haven't had any problems. It's more about understanding what to expect. Sprint's integration with Google Voice did indeed make it a seamless experience. It's not quite as seamless without Sprint, but you can make and receive calls using your normal phone dialer and text using the native messenger or GoSMS Pro (with the help of the GV Integration app). I don't even think about it any more. I just use my phone as I did with Sprint--only I'm paying much less.

Hope this helped.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5

well this is just the best response ever. Thank you so much. This is bookmarked and will be followed step-by-step!

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Okay, this is going to be a small novel, but here goes....
    First off - thank you for that amazing post! I just have a few questions:

1. After porting, do I have to cancel the voicemail from the carrier to make sure GV voicemail answers calls or will porting do this for me?

2. I currently have a GV number and a mobile number, if I port does that mean I lose one of those?

3. How long does it take for the porting to complete?

4. If I port from my Sprint (I currently have Sprint intergration) to GV, how does it handle sending calls to my new tmobile phone? Does it work via the app, or do i have to explicitly add that phone's number?

After reading this I'm inclined to use Net10 so I can do roaming without a separate SIM. Straight Talk doesn't allow roaming? - Yahoo! Answers

Thoughts anyone?

After reading this I'm inclined to use Net10 so I can do roaming without a separate SIM. Straight Talk doesn't allow roaming? - Yahoo! Answers

Thoughts anyone?
    Net10 only has 3G data, correct? No HSPA+?
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast