Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This $30/mo data plan + 100mts sounds good too, wish it was 500mts at least.

You can buy extra minutes at any time for $0.10 per minute and they (the extra purchased minutes) roll over from month to month. Get the $30 plan and throw an extra $5 or $10 at it every few months.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

What the fine print actually says is, "Data: Domestic & international data roaming not available."

I did a live chat with TMO customer service and was told that call roaming does work, even on the $30/month plan. However, they do seem to have limited roaming partners/agreements and that may affect your results.

I had a POS flip phone with the 1500min/txt & 30 meg data prepaid TMO plan I was testing out when I was on a bike trip in nowhere, Wyoming. (west of Buffalo/east of Yellowstone). It roamed fine for calls on local cell networks I've never heard of. But I don't think there was any data at all.

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
What the fine print actually says is, "Data: Domestic & international data roaming not available."

I did a live chat with TMO customer service and was told that call roaming does work, even on the $30/month plan. However, they do seem to have limited roaming partners/agreements and that may affect your results.

TMO prepaid allows roaming for voice, not data.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I tried T-Mo prepaid and got about 20Mbps down, 3-5Mbps up, with really crappy >1000ms ping times and terrible building penetration.
I'm now using ST AT&T and getting 1-5Mbps down ~1Mbps up, with very decent ~100ms ping times, great coverage, and great building penetration.
This is in and around Washington, DC. I'll see how ST performs in Vegas next week, NYC the following weekend, and rural eastern NC over the holidays.
Regardless of those other tests, I feel confident in saying that I will be sticking with Straight Talk, no questions asked. For my needs, the coverage and performance are more than acceptable.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I went from Sprint to ST for the Nexus 4. Loving it so far. I have way better service with ST everywhere I go now. What a relief to save $50 a month, actually have service and have unlimited everything. Have had no problems and have been on ST for 4 days now.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Can someone who has straight talk with att sim confirm rather or not Straight talk allows you to use data and talk at the same time while using data?

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes it does, I have an iPhone 4S and I can talk & surf the web at the same time (simultanous). I went back to ST after trying out tmobile for like 2 weeks.

Topshelf

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, can anyone help me out here. Currently I'm on VZW with a grandfathered unlimited plan. Hate to get rid of this, but the monthly cost is just irritating me to no end. Looking to go to ST (AT&T) as it seems like the coverage is good for phone use which oddly enough, is more important to me than data. From what I'm used to on VZW 3G speeds, it can't get worse. Anyway, I really want to test this out before making the switch as I don't want to lose my plan if I'm not happy, so I was thinking about getting the N4 (if I can) and forwarding my VZW number to the new ST number. Would that work? And if so, would it be using ST's service? I'm guessing the calls would still be charged to my VZW plan, but that's unlimited talk, so it shouldn't matter. I also use GV for voicemail, so would that get screwed up? My phone number is used for work and I can't change it which is why I was thinking about forwarding at first, then if I'm happy, I'd just port it over to ST permanently. I don't completely understand how porting to Google would work, so if that's somehow a better or easier option, I'd also consider that, but I'm mainly concerned with giving this a good 2 month test before dropping that unlimited plan...unless someone wants to take it over for a few months. lol

Any input would really be appreciated. :)

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes the forwarding would work but just carry the two devices and test them out side by side. You'll want to check signal and data strength of both of them everywhere you need to use the phone. And if/when you port the number to Google, don't forget you'll immediately cancel the service on that line, so if it's employer provided, make sure they wouldn't get hit with an etf.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, can anyone help me out here. Currently I'm on VZW with a grandfathered unlimited plan. Hate to get rid of this, but the monthly cost is just irritating me to no end. Looking to go to ST (AT&T) as it seems like the coverage is good for phone use which oddly enough, is more important to me than data. From what I'm used to on VZW 3G speeds, it can't get worse. Anyway, I really want to test this out before making the switch as I don't want to lose my plan if I'm not happy, so I was thinking about getting the N4 (if I can) and forwarding my VZW number to the new ST number. Would that work? And if so, would it be using ST's service? I'm guessing the calls would still be charged to my VZW plan, but that's unlimited talk, so it shouldn't matter. I also use GV for voicemail, so would that get screwed up? My phone number is used for work and I can't change it which is why I was thinking about forwarding at first, then if I'm happy, I'd just port it over to ST permanently. I don't completely understand how porting to Google would work, so if that's somehow a better or easier option, I'd also consider that, but I'm mainly concerned with giving this a good 2 month test before dropping that unlimited plan...unless someone wants to take it over for a few months. lol

Any input would really be appreciated. :)

If you're looking to test out StraightTalk before terminating Verizon, then you can't port your number right away. The moment you port your number away from Verizon you'll be terminating your Verizon service.

If you want to test ST just buy the Nexus 4 and purchase a ST micro SIM (AT&T-compatible) and an activation kit. It will cost about $60 ($15 for the SIM and $45 for the first month of service).

Then you can try out the ST service along side the Verizon service. If it doesn't work out for you, return the Nexus 4 within the return period and the most you'll be out is the $60.

If it does work out and you like the service, then you have a choice to make. You can port your number from Verizon to ST or you can port from Verizon to Google Voice, and then set GV to forward to your new ST number.

I did the latter. I ported my Sprint number to GV and got a new ST number. Since I only use my (now) GV number, I don't really care what number I get from ST or any other carrier, because people only call my GV number and I just have Google forward all my calls to whatever line I happen to be using.

Just remember, once you port a number away from a carrier, you're ending service with that carrier. If you're still in contract, early termination fees apply.

Also, if you're currently using Google Voice Lite (having people call your Verizon phone directly and conditionally forwarding calls to Google Voice), then you cannot also forward your calls to a StraightTalk line. You can only do one or the other at a time.

Last edited:

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I am doing the same thing, forwarding my calls from Verizon to my GV Number on the ST service while I test ST. So far, I am very pleased! Speeds are fine, not LTE, but I am realizing it is not as needed, for me, as I thought. Coverage and voice quality are excellent. I am using the att sim on an unlocked Galaxy Note 2. I did purchase a gn4 as well, which is the beauty of gsm!

I have unlimited with Verizon as well, 5 lines. I'll convert everyone is this works out. From $290 to $180 a month and freedom to choose phones, un bloated, unlocked, faster updates etc.

Digitally transmitted from my unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on Straight Talk using Tapatalk 2

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I am doing the same thing, forwarding my calls from Verizon to my GV Number on the ST service while I test ST. So far, I am very pleased! Speeds are fine, not LTE, but I am realizing it is not as needed, for me, as I thought. Coverage and voice quality are excellent. I am using the att sim on an unlocked Galaxy Note 2. I did purchase a gn4 as well, which is the beauty of gsm!

I have unlimited with Verizon as well, 5 lines. I'll convert everyone is this works out. From $290 to $180 a month and freedom to choose phones, un bloated, unlocked, faster updates etc.

Digitally transmitted from my unlocked Galaxy Note 2 on Straight Talk using Tapatalk 2

Forwarding in this manner works for you because you have a full Google Voice account with a dedicated GV number. If someone is only using GV Lite, then forwarding wouldn't work, if they wanted to continue using Google Voice for voicemail. I think Topshelf is in that situation.

Topshelf

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much guys. And yes, that would be the exact situation I'm in. I'd forward my VZW # to ST, which seems like it would leave me out of luck with GV as my voicemail provider. I can't port my number anywhere just yet, so I have to use this setup. Well, I could, but don't want to. Have been out of contract for a long time, but just don't want to give up that plan until I'm sure it works. So if I do go this route, how would my VM be handled? Would I need to dial into VZW to retrieve it? Or would that become part of ST's voicemail? I'm assuming there's voicemail on ST. Thanks again for all the help. You have no idea how badly I want to get away from these carriers...actually, I guess you guys do. lol And it seems like if everything works out, then porting my # to GV would be the simplest option to avoid any hassles down the road with any other phone changes?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much guys. And yes, that would be the exact situation I'm in. I'd forward my VZW # to ST, which seems like it would leave me out of luck with GV as my voicemail provider. I can't port my number anywhere just yet, so I have to use this setup. Well, I could, but don't want to. Have been out of contract for a long time, but just don't want to give up that plan until I'm sure it works. So if I do go this route, how would my VM be handled? Would I need to dial into VZW to retrieve it? Or would that become part of ST's voicemail? I'm assuming there's voicemail on ST. Thanks again for all the help. You have no idea how badly I want to get away from these carriers...actually, I guess you guys do. lol And it seems like if everything works out, then porting my # to GV would be the simplest option to avoid any hassles down the road with any other phone changes?

Something you could do while you're testing things out is to get a full Google Voice account. You could then forward your Verizon phone to the Google Voice number that you would get with a full account, then have Google Voice forward your calls to the Nexus 4 on StraightTalk. Even if you decide not to port your Verizon number to Google or StraightTalk, you've lost nothing by doing this. You'll be able to continue to use your GV voicemail, and you'll gain additional functionality.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site

That's what we are doing to its ridiculouss for us to pay 300 dollars for phones I don't care how much coverage we get with vzw I'm tired of cdma and being locked to one carrier gsm here we come

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Topshelf

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Something you could do while you're testing things out is to get a full Google Voice account. You could then forward your Verizon phone to the Google Voice number that you would get with a full account, then have Google Voice forward your calls to the Nexus 4 on StraightTalk. Even if you decide not to port your Verizon number to Google or StraightTalk, you've lost nothing by doing this. You'll be able to continue to use your GV voicemail, and you'll gain additional functionality.

Hmm, read this three times and still a little confused. By full GV account, what are we talking? I already have a GV phone number, though I don't use it. Is that what you're referring to by full account? So If I wanted to test this out I would have 3 numbers? 111-1111 would be verizon, 222-2222 would be GV and 333-3333 would be ST. Forward 111-1111 to 222-2222 via Verizon settings. Then go to GV, and forward 222-2222 to 333-3333 so that my ST phone would actually ring when someone calls 111-1111? Seems logical, but crazy at the same time. How would voicemail, sms and outgoing calls work if this is what your talking about? Ideally, it would be transparent on incoming calls 111-1111. If outgoing showed a 333-3333, it's not that big a deal for now, but I would need functional sms and voicemail via the 111-1111 number. Or I could just buy an N4 and say screw it. lol