Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
So far, all is good :) Speed tests done with TMobile before switching to ST SIM was around 6.1kps and after with ST AT&T, I've gotten anywhere from 3-6kbps. But the funny thing is even with a little "slower" speeds, my emails with graphics in them and web pages come up in < 1 sec. Sooo quick. Not on wifi either.
Also, all works great at work! Data signal has been great and only once or twice was apps searching for data signal, but would come up in a couple seconds.

So 2 for 2! :) Just now gotta see in 30days if I'm throttled...

luisito_ortiz

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So far, all is good :) Speed tests done with TMobile before switching to ST SIM was around 6.1kps and after with ST AT&T, I've gotten anywhere from 3-6kbps. But the funny thing is even with a little "slower" speeds, my emails with graphics in them and web pages come up in < 1 sec. Sooo quick. Not on wifi either.
Also, all works great at work! Data signal has been great and only once or twice was apps searching for data signal, but would come up in a couple seconds.

So 2 for 2! :) Just now gotta see in 30days if I'm throttled...

You should set the Port to 80. I ran speet tests and not setting it killed my internet speeds.

Speed test I did yesterday with my APN settings at a building next to I-95. Sufficely to say, I had perfect signal. (6.745 Mbps upload / 1.087 Mbps upload)
2zsctbb.jpg

Last edited:

Alexg314

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So someone sent me an mms and another one immediately followed it from another person who sent it yesterday. Has anyone else experienced this?

VSG28

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Activated and ported over my ATT number onto my new ST sim yesterday, now waiting to see if I get hit by ETF from ATT or not.

VSG28

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
OK I got a question regarding refills- I see people on eBay with very high positive feedback selling monthly refills for about $37 or so wherein they ask for my phone number with the promise of them doing the refills within 24 hours. Anyone tried this? Seems like a savings of $10 or more each month when you also account to no sales tax on eBay.

ColoradoSteve

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I was hesitant also. Ordered 1 month refill last week and it was credited to my phone within 12 hours..

I don't know how they do it, but it seems legit.

I ordered from epicfanware.

VSG28

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I was hesitant also. Ordered 1 month refill last week and it was credited to my phone within 12 hours..

I don't know how they do it, but it seems legit.

I ordered from epicfanware.

Cheers! I will try out the same guy. On that note, do I need to wait till I am closer to the renewal date to refill or can I do so now with 4 weeks still left?

jbreakfield

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Cheers! I will try out the same guy. On that note, do I need to wait till I am closer to the renewal date to refill or can I do so now with 4 weeks still left?

You can add the time to your "Reserve" on your account, which just adds it to the end of your current time.

bshensky

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Consider this:

I have ST BYOD T-Mobile SIM on my (T-Mo) Nexus One in Detroit. T-Mobile has NO towers north of "the knuckles" (halfway up the Lower Peninsula of Michigan).

I used to have Simple Mobile on my Nexus One, which was at the time a (independent) T-Mobile network reseller (Simple Mobile has since been bought out by Straight Talk!). When I was with Simple Mobile, every time I got north of the knuckles, I would lose ALL service. No roaming. Nothing. Just "Emergency Calls Only" on my N1.

When I switched to ST with T-Mobile SIM, at any point north of the knuckles, my Nexus One would automagically register on AT&T's network and provide EDGE service. This behavior is consistent with my prior experiences with T-Mobile directly. When I was with Magenta, I'd roam AT&T up north.

My Conclusion: There's no guarantee of any roaming peering arrangement with T-Mo. This may be vendor-based! Simple Mobile may have chosen to decline peering in its contact with T-Mo. Straight Talk may have selected to go all-in with T-Mo - roaming and all - because it also has agreements with AT&T.

So, if you're in an area where T-Mo is "spotty", you might want to get an AT&T SIM from ST.

BUT, if you are CERTAIN there's NO T-Mo towers where you are, you could get a T-Mo SIM from ST, let it roam on AT&T where you are AND get the benefit of faster speeds when you do go to areas where T-Mo serves HSDPA+ natively. It's possible, however, that ST could find you out and force you back onto an AT&T SIM. Perhaps. Unsure.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
OK I got a question regarding refills- I see people on eBay with very high positive feedback selling monthly refills for about $37 or so wherein they ask for my phone number with the promise of them doing the refills within 24 hours. Anyone tried this? Seems like a savings of $10 or more each month when you also account to no sales tax on eBay.

I just did it tonight with seller rarinter. I bought a $45 refill for $38.50. After providing the phone number to get the refill, the credit was added to the account within maybe 5 minutes. Awhile ago I did the same thing with a T-mobile account, same seller, and same results. 15% savings on ST, and 10% savings on TM. Hard to beat!

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
After reading this talk about discounted st refills, I decided to try it out. I bought a $37 refill. About 10 minutes later, get the text message from st saying thanks for the refill.
I figure wow, the price is so good, I'll try another guy who's selling for the same price. I get the st text in about 5 minutes.
So bottom line is this stuff is legit. A nice discount with 5 to 10 minute fulfillment time has no downside.
Shoot, I was happy paying $45, 37 is even better. :D

Sent from my mako :)p)

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
After reading this talk about discounted st refills, I decided to try it out. I bought a $37 refill. About 10 minutes later, get the text message from st saying thanks for the refill.
I figure wow, the price is so good, I'll try another guy who's selling for the same price. I get the st text in about 5 minutes.
So bottom line is this stuff is legit. A nice discount with 5 to 10 minute fulfillment time has no downside.
Shoot, I was happy paying $45, 37 is even better. :D

Just want to check, but these are added to your reserve?
Thanks.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Just want to check, but these are added to your reserve?
Thanks.

Yup. Whenever you buy a refill, they just add it to the reserve. For example the 2 I bought just added 2 months to my reseve.
You could buy 10 in one day and it adds 10 months onto your reserve.

Sent from my mako :)p)

bshensky

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Be VERY careful with these discounted refill vendors!

I found a similar vendor when I was with Simple Mobile - the vendor was offering 10-15% discount on reserve-refill re-up PINs. All all appeared on the up-and-up UNTIL...

UNTIL I found my service turned OFF for no apparent reason. When I called SM support, they claimed that the credit card used to purchase the PINs was reported STOLEN. It wasn't MY credit card, however - I had paid with PayPal!

The scammers steal a CC number, use it to buy a bulk-load of PINs, sell at a too-good-to-pass-up discount online and collect their monies there. Only once the CC holder reports the fraudulent charges does the cell vendor turn the account off, and by that time, the scammer has made off with your cash, and no way to trace back to the scammer.

Luckily, in my case, PayPal refunded me the $38, but not after a lot of documenting.

BEWARE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa