Change the Nexus 4 back glass to this ??

DuncanBishop

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok..I know alot of you folks including myself were not to crazy about the glass back on the nexus 4.
It looks all nice and pretty and adds a bit the class to the phone but..glass is glass and it will break,shatter or chip sooner or later.
So here is what I think google should have done..made the back of the phone just like the back of the Nexus 7 ?!
Hey it has a nice feel to the touch,it's made of rubber so it can help with the sudden drops (of course thats if it fell on the back)
and it's alot sturder than that glass on the back of the nexus 4 ?? ..what do you guys think?

[video]
14uz1wi.jpg
[/video]

I really think it would look great,now that I look at it again..
Anybody with some Photoshop skills ??? ;)

NickFromHouston

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I think as an alternative we could just somehow remove the existing glass backing. I don't know how easy that would be or how that would look, however.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Anybody with some Photoshop skills ??? ;)
I kinda like it. But yeah, getting it in and out of your pocket would suck, plus it would last WAAAAY less than even the glass. Give it a few weeks and would look like a cat got to it.

I was bored...even though I need to be working...
Nexus-4-alt.jpg

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I much would rather have a rubberized polycarbonate back. The glass looks cool but I question its durability. The nexus 7 pattern looks cool but I'm thinking htc one x+/droid DNA style

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
People questioned the durability of the iPhone 4 back and that held up very well for two generations of the device line.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I kinda like it. But yeah, getting it in and out of your pocket would suck, plus it would last WAAAAY less than even the glass. Give it a few weeks and would look like a cat got to it.

I was bored...even though I need to be working...
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-.../AAAAAAAAE-s/JM8MctYPzLg/s475/Nexus-4-alt.jpg

That does look cool but I see long term durability issues with that. After a year it will be smoothed around the edges, it won't have the perforated soft leather look anymore.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I always liked the rubber/textured backs on the RIMM phones like the BB Bold... wish someone would make a type of back cover like that cut exactly in shape of the back glass and use an adhesive to apply.

I much would rather have a rubberized polycarbonate back. The glass looks cool but I question its durability. The nexus 7 pattern looks cool but I'm thinking htc one x+/droid DNA style

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

ukbondraider

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
What are you lot on?

Android phones are in desperate need of being made fully in glass or metal. The constant plastic, rubber rubbish makes using Android equipment feel second class.

Whilst I think the Nexus 4 is not a very pretty phone, making out of the rubber you lot suggest would have made it much worse. The Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 are incredibly ugly tablets relative to the competition and what we need is for google and other Android manufacturers to up the glass/metal usage, not decrease it.

I currently own a Note 2 as my Android device and only chose it for its large screen. Had it been a normal sized phone I would never be using Android full stop. I am hoping the Sony Xperia Z is the first Android phone that can actually pass as a premium product.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Metal is the best choice imo. Looks premium and has a premium feel to it and it is sturdier than glass.

- - - Updated - - -

Metal is the best choice imo. Looks premium and has a premium feel to it and it is sturdier than glass.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that a full on metal backing could hinder the signal right?

This is why you see so much pay carbonate, glass, rubber...

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

ukbondraider

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
You do realize that a full on metal backing could hinder the signal right?

This is why you see so much pay carbonate, glass, rubber...

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Not if it is done right. The mass use of plastic is because Android makers are either less intelligent, lazy or see plastic as the best way to maximise their profits. Its probably a combination of all three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa